By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579

I still think that the NX is coming out in 2016. Also I think that PIkmin 4 will be a launch title for the NX rather than a WII U title.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
Handheld NX 2016, Home console NX 2017 would make most sense for Nintendo.

3DS can't maintain momentum with its lineup right now, but handheld NX cross-platform with Wii U can buy Nintendo some time...to provide home console NX with important titles at launch.

We don't know what Hexadrive is working on, we don't know what IS is working on, we don't know what Retro is working on, among others.
Heck, Creatures can pull themselves out of a development hiatus and announce a Pokémon Snap or something.

But the 3DS still has some really big titles releasing next year. Bravely Second, Final Fantasy Explorers, Pokemon Z, Super Mario Paper Jam, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Mega Man Legacy Collection, Project X Zone 2, Fire Emblem IF (at least worldwide release), ect. I think it could easily last until 2017 and be a multi console release.

You forgot to mention monster hunter X, the new Phoenix Wright game and Dragon Quest XI.

Mr.Playstation said:
I still think that the NX is coming out in 2016. Also I think that PIkmin 4 will be a launch title for the NX rather than a WII U title.

If that was the case, shouldn't more concrete details about its architecture be leaked by now? As I remember we kinda knew everything about the Wii U before its official announcement.    

I can see it launching 2016 end of year.
Also out of those "4 big" games, the only one thats really actually like huge, is LoZ.

1 really big game, and 3 others more mediumish ones in a year isnt really mind blowing.

Yeah i get the feeling the reason Pikmin 4 is practically finished is because they still need to port it to be an NX launch title.

It happening this year. The plug has clearly been pulled in Wii U months ago.

Around the Network

I would believe 2016 announcement and 2017 launch, but at this point given the comatose condition of the wii u, I am hoping for a 2015 release.

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

I don't know when it will be out, but i think they should release a SKU without the controller

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Not a lot of titles if we're being honest. Pokken could be huge but Zelda is the only known biggie and Pikmin has no comfirmed platform. Nintendo has presumably learned from the Wii not to leave consoles for dead for a good 12/16months before introducing a new platform, typically a swan song or 2 arrive on a transitional year so thats quite normal. Beyond that most people believe that the NX will also absorb the Wii U's last few games whether that be through ports or backwards compatability.

Sonys 2013 was more baffling with The Last of US, God of War Accension, Puppeteer, GT6 and Ratchet Nexus all launching exclusively on PS3 the same year the PS4 was arriving. The Nintendo equivalent would be having Zelda, Mario Kart 9 and Metroid Prime 4 is scheduled for next year... Thats not whats happening.

Anyway I'm now along the lines of thinking that the NX is just a Wii U spec handheld that can be docked. Essentially its not the Wii U's successor, just a rebranded, portable and slightlly cheaper replacement since it'd be using mordern mass manufactured components. This means by supporting one, Nintendo is supporting both; so the Wii U would continue to receive support beyond 2016 but hardware wise will just see Nintendo try and phase it out and replace it with NX handheld.

It depends on what the NX is and we have to wait until next year for that. I can see them updating the 3DS, but not the Wii U. All the "evidence" on what it so far has been circumstancial at best.

My opinion: NX will release in late 2016. There is absolutely no reason to talk about a console 2.5 years before release. The things listed in the OP are not indications for a later NX launch at all.

Why was Zelda shown last year but not this year? Because it's being ported to NX.
Why was Pikmin not shown despite being "almost done"? Because it's either a last hurrah for Wii U or for NX.
Shin Megami X Fire Emblem was supposed to launch way earlier but the developers struggled with the concept of the game. That does not point to a 2017 NX launch. It just means they struggled to get the game out faster.
Why didn't we see Retro's new game after 3 years? Because Nintendo approached them to redo it for NX.

In late 2016 the Wii U will be 4 years old. That's exactly how long the first Xbox was on the market when the Xbox360 reelased. The DS released 4 years after the GBA, too. This is not "pulling a SEGA" or "alienating the fanbase", otherwise the Xbox360 would have bombed hard and the DS wouldn't have become the best selling handheld of all time.