By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579

I just don't see nintendo unveiling and releasing the nx in the same year. No way. No one has done that. Especially nintendo.nx 2017. Guarantee it.

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
I just don't see nintendo unveiling and releasing the nx in the same year. No way. No one has done that. Especially nintendo.nx 2017. Guarantee it.

Didn't Sega do it with the Saturn?  Look how well that turned out.

Neodegenerate said:
Justagamer said:

Lol, I wasn't sure if Sega did that with the saturn, I thought they did, but I really only remembered them doing a surprise early launch... yeah, didn't turn out too We'll for em. I think nx is a sure thing for 2017.

Justagamer said:

I'll take a bet on that.

Justagamer said:

PS4, XBox One, XBox 360 ring a bell? It would be more like Nintendo just stepping back into line with everyone else. The 3DS was also announced, shown, and released within 12 months. 

Announcing a product and then telling consumers "have fun waiting 2 years for this" is a very outdated concept. 

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
Justagamer said:

Didn't Sony do it with the PS4?  Look how well that turned out.

Justagamer said:
Neodegenerate said:

Lol, I wasn't sure if Sega did that with the saturn, I thought they did, but I really only remembered them doing a surprise early launch... yeah, didn't turn out too We'll for em. I think nx is a sure thing for 2017.

Looks like they only did it with the Saturn in the US.  From the ever reliable wikipedia:

In March 1995, Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske announced that the Saturn would be released in the U.S. on "Saturnday" (Saturday) September 2, 1995.[46][47] However, Sega of Japan mandated an early launch to give the Saturn an advantage over the PlayStation.[48] Therefore, at the first Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles on May 11, 1995, Kalinske gave a keynote presentation for the upcoming Saturn in which he revealed the release price at US$399 (including a bundled copy of Virtua Fighter[49]), and described the features of the console. Kalinske also revealed that, due to "high consumer demand",[50] Sega had already shipped 30,000 Saturns to Toys "R" UsBabbage'sElectronics Boutique, and Software Etc. for immediate release.[46] 

PS4 unveiled June 2013 - Launched November 2013

XBox One unveiled May 2013 - Launched November 2013

Nintendo 3DS - Announced March 23, 2010, Released (Japan) February 2011.

Wii U is actually the odd one of the group and seeing how it's by far the worst selling of that group, can't see why Nintendo is obligated to follow that formula in any way.

Nobody wants to see hardware, get excited about it, and then be told to wait 1-2 years for it to release. That doesn't fly today it's not 1997 anymore. 

Nintendo probably could show the NX right now, but it would cause already weak Wii U and 3DS sales to likely crater for the holiday season so there's no logical reason to show the hardware this early. They'll show it after the holidays are done, my guess is probably around March (fiscal year end), if not just wait outright for E3. 

UncleScrooge said:
My opinion: NX will release in late 2016. There is absolutely no reason to talk about a console 2.5 years before release. The things listed in the OP are not indications for a later NX launch at all.

Why was Zelda shown last year but not this year? Because it's being ported to NX.
Why was Pikmin not shown despite being "almost done"? Because it's either a last hurrah for Wii U or for NX.
Shin Megami X Fire Emblem was supposed to launch way earlier but the developers struggled with the concept of the game. That does not point to a 2017 NX launch. It just means they struggled to get the game out faster.
Why didn't we see Retro's new game after 3 years? Because Nintendo approached them to redo it for NX.

In late 2016 the Wii U will be 4 years old. That's exactly how long the first Xbox was on the market when the Xbox360 reelased. The DS released 4 years after the GBA, too. This is not "pulling a SEGA" or "alienating the fanbase", otherwise the Xbox360 would have bombed hard and the DS wouldn't have become the best selling handheld of all time.

Well, there is no reason to talk about it 2.5 years before releasing. That's true. However they need to set the final specification of the console, manufacture dev kits which will be send to third party developers that will create launch games.  Are you guys seriously implying that the console is going to launch with just nintendo games? Not just that, but that Nintendo is going to use two or three big IP as launch titles.

danielrdp said:
UncleScrooge said:
My opinion: NX will release in late 2016. There is absolutely no reason to talk about a console 2.5 years before release. The things listed in the OP are not indications for a later NX launch at all.

Why was Zelda shown last year but not this year? Because it's being ported to NX.
Why was Pikmin not shown despite being "almost done"? Because it's either a last hurrah for Wii U or for NX.
Shin Megami X Fire Emblem was supposed to launch way earlier but the developers struggled with the concept of the game. That does not point to a 2017 NX launch. It just means they struggled to get the game out faster.
Why didn't we see Retro's new game after 3 years? Because Nintendo approached them to redo it for NX.

In late 2016 the Wii U will be 4 years old. That's exactly how long the first Xbox was on the market when the Xbox360 reelased. The DS released 4 years after the GBA, too. This is not "pulling a SEGA" or "alienating the fanbase", otherwise the Xbox360 would have bombed hard and the DS wouldn't have become the best selling handheld of all time.

Well, there is no reason to talk about it 2.5 years before releasing. That's true. However they need to set the final specification of the console, manufacture dev kits which will be send to third party developers that will create launch games.  Are you guys seriously implying that the console is going to launch with just nintendo games? Not just that, but that Nintendo is going to use two or three big IP as launch titles.

It already has two non-Nintendo titles announced for it, in fact the only two games we know for it are Dragon Quest XI and Dragon Quest X from Square-Enix. 

I imagine dev kits are out, but this time Nintendo is putting stronger NDAs on them so developers don't leak details.