Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario 64 Vs Crash Bandicoot

Which was the better Platformer?

Super Mario 64 327 76.76%

Crash Bandicoot 99 23.24%

Total:426

Which was the better platformer?

Around the Network

both were overrated imo

Tough call. I think Crash was easier to get into. It was more simple and to the point. Mario 64 got a little convoluted but was still awesome.

Mario.. Crash 1 was pretty average.. horrible controls.. 2 is it where they got it together and 3 was just awesome..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Mario 64 was way more revolutionary in every sense, Crash was trying to be Mario on the first place. Gameplay wise Mario 64 is way superior to Crash 1, but if we compare it with Crash 3 things are more equal in terms of fun.

Around the Network

No competition at all. By todays standards, Mario 64 is average at best but it is still leagues above Crash.

Goodnightmoon said:
Mario 64 was way more revolutionary in every sense, Crash was trying to be Mario on the first place. Gameplay wise Mario 64 is way superior to Crash 1, but if we compare it with Crash 3 things are more equal in terms of fun.

Well, I'm pretty sure you're talking about Mario as a whole, but I'm gonna be that guy and point out anyway that both games came out within months of one another. Thus, Crash couldn't be ripping off Mario 64. 

Now that I'm done being that guy, personally I've always felt Crash was an inferior 3D rendition of DKC. Very linear design in tropical areas with optional paths and very little in terms of power-ups. Also animal buddies. Not that I'm a fan of the Rare DKC necessarily, from what I've played I prefer TF, but the DKC series at least handles well. Playing the first Crash with a d-pad is just awful, and even when they added in analog controls I always felt the game was too slippery for my liking. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Crash Bandicoot 2 is killer. Not crazy on 3D Mario, love 2D Mario though.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Your comparing one of the greatest platformers of all time in Mario 64 to a platformer that struggles to even make a top list?
I own Crash 1,2,3 and CTR and there not bad games but there no where near the quality of Mario 64 which has been announced in many reviews and by the gaming community to be up there as one of the best games of all time.

Never cared much for crash myself, and at the time mario 64 was a revelation, has not aged well at all though.