By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2015 Sleeper hit contenders

What games releasing in 2015 would you consider biggest contenders for sleeper hit of the year?

Basically, a great game with decent metacritic scores and modest sales that perhaps deserves far more recognition. You can also include games yet to be released that you think will have soft launch in 2015.

So here's what comes to mind for my list:

Ori and the Blind Forest (up until Forza 6, the highest rated X1 exclusive -- and no one talks about this lovely game)

Until Dawn (likely the best horror game of the year)

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (probably will have way more in common with Mario Power Tennis than what we've seen so far, and that will make it awesome)

Star Fox Zero could make the list -- however I think Nintendo has bigger plans to market it than most on this site expect.

Plus whatever you Vita fans are obsessing about lately. Idk. (shrugs)

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

We have to wait for Zelda and Mario Tennis to come out bro, to see if they achieve good scores!

I would say that the biggest surprise was Until Dawn, nobody expected anything about that game, let alone 9 and 10 out of 10s.

Ori was praised even before it was released! We all knew it was going to be great!

How about Splatoon? Many were expecting W101 like sales after all before it's release, and none would have dared to expect the sales it got (even the most optimistic sales expectations got smashed by it's sales)

6 months ago Splatoon would have been on this list. Now its nowhere close! Wow. Things change quickly

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

As has already been mentioned I would say Splatoon has already grabbed the sleeper hit award for 2015. People with grounded expectations weren't predicting this kind of reception or success.

Around the Network

Everyone knew Ori like a lot of indie games like it would rate high, but if we're talking exclusives I'd say until dawn and Splatoon are my definite sleeper hits.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

"Sleeper hit is a term used in the entertainment industry for a film that plays successfully for a long period and becomes a big success, despite having relatively little promotion or lacking a successful opening. It is also used in a similar sense for music releases."

Splatoon both had/has a lot of promotion and had a successful opening. Doesn't fit with term sleeper hit. Not really sure what will be 2015's sleeper. I'd say Rocket League but that doesn't fit either, cause it had a very successful launch.

Until Dawn definitely. Very few people expected it to do so well.

Definitely Until Dawn. Rocket League too

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

I came to say Until Dawn. If not a sleeper hit, it's a cult classic in the making.