By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2015 Sleeper hit contenders

I will say rocket league. That game came out of nowhere and boom, over 5m download. It also has a good metascore. Splatoon had a similar promotion budget to mario kart and also had a multiplayer demo which seal the deal for a lot of gamer. 

Edit:  RL also had a prequel that almost no one knew about. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I came to say Until Dawn. If not a sleeper hit, it's a cult classic in the making.

Interactive games dont count.

Captain Toad? That released this year in Europe if that counts. Considering its a small, low budget pick up and play game, the sales have been very good.

Angelv577 said:
d21lewis said:
I came to say Until Dawn. If not a sleeper hit, it's a cult classic in the making.

Interactive games dont count.

Lets not start with that k?

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Wait wait wait.... there is a Mario tennis game coming out this year? Holy cow! Love the series ☺

To the google-mobile!

Around the Network
The_BlackHeart__ said:
Am I right with this definition?

Sleeper hit: A game that did not get the "essential" treatment before release, but that ended up being perceived as such by critics and gamers in general.

Splatoon is definitively a "hit". But I have the impression that the game got way too much attention before releasing to be considered "sleeper".

With that being said, the best candidate for this category IMO is Rocket League. It took every non-beta tester by surprise.

problem with the word essential treatment was gamers are pessimistc about the game, most likely those non Wii U owners.  Splatoon is one of the sleeper hit contender i would say.  it got an impression in a negative way and yet it became a hit to gamers who like a different type of shooter.  I wouldn't discredit Rocket League that it was a sleeper hit but it is free right?  

Angelv577 said:

I will say rocket league. That game came out of nowhere and boom, over 5m download. It also has a good metascore. Splatoon had a similar promotion budget to mario kart and also had a multiplayer demo which seal the deal for a lot of gamer. 

Edit:  RL also had a prequel that almost no one knew about. 

you would say a game (Rocket League) is a sleeper hit due to 5m million downloads, but it is essentially free for PS+ members.  I would say it is fun and a contender as well. But Splatoon is also a sleeper hit this year.  nobody wanted that game to be successful and even several wii u owners doesn't seem to buy this game.  multiplayer demo is a common thing for shooters, so what do expect, they needed info about the stats on the game.  how the servers would handle it, optimize this and that. 

Rocket League, Splatoon would really be contenders for the sleeper hit of the year.  Until Dawn, I don't know, maybe for some and i believe the sales are good in US and EU to merit it as a sleeper success.

Faust said:
Wait wait wait.... there is a Mario tennis game coming out this year? Holy cow! Love the series ☺

To the google-mobile!

It was the big reveal of Nintendo's E3 in 2015!

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
Faust said:

To the google-mobile!

It was the big reveal of Nintendo's E3 in 2015!

well, i couldnt get trought the whole think u know... Dont blame me, the amibos/skylander talk was boring as hell

Tearaway unfolded

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS