By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Frostbite Dev: The PS3 CELL Retarded The Industry Significantly

walsufnir said:
ethomaz said:

Did you ever played any Frostbite 3 game this gen?

Are you able to seperate your view on games in the way of what is engine/rendering code and what is game code?

So why all games made with Frostbite 3 is a mess on PS4/Xbone/PC?

People are expecting Battlefront to be a bug fest too.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
d21lewis said:
So on one hand, Xbox held games back because they weren't on blu Ray. On the other, PS held games back because it was tough to develop for.

Obviously Nintendo was the one driving the industry forward!

LOLOLOL

Holy Shit!!!

ethomaz said:
walsufnir said:

Are you able to seperate your view on games in the way of what is engine/rendering code and what is game code?

So why all games made with Frostbite 3 is a mess on PS4/Xbone/PC?

People are expecting Battlefront to be a bug fest too.

So you are not.

asqarkabab said:
SvennoJ said:
asqarkabab said:
And the annualized games from big publishers retarded the industry

No, people buying these annualized games in droves and ignoring new efforts retarded the industry.

Thats exactly my thoughts 

Ah gotcha. Yet if people stop buying them they'll go away, see Guitar band and Rock hero.

walsufnir said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Eddie_Raja said:
I mean it was designed to (And did succeed at times) offload many of the GPU's tasks and act as almost a second mini-GPU.

This allowed TLoU and Killzone 2/3 to make the games on 360 look half a gen behind, and games like BF4 got higher levels of MSAA on PS3 since the cell could run. Whether or not it was worth it in terms of programming is up for debate, but imo where it really was a waste was cost. I mean the PS3 would probably cost $20-$40 less right now if it wasn't so damn expensive to manufacture the CELL.

Naughty Dog and Killzone games look good, but not that good. I'd argue games like Gears 3 and Halo 4 were at par and more technically impressive. 

My friends who had 360's actually told be they thought the 360's games looked almost a gen behind, so I was being nice with what I said/think.

This tells more about your "friends" than it contributes to the thread.

It is directly on point with what we were talking about - when properly utilized it added a lot of performance to the PS3, it just wasn't worth it overall.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
SonicAway said:
I'm having a really hard time believing some here are having problems with the word "retarded"...

Because 99%+ of the time the word is used it is the slang meaning which is what is being intended. That shouldn't be a surprise when someone actually uses its dictionary definite to try to make a more clickbait'y comment lol.

More or less the same as if you were to type Niger or Negro you probably wouldn't first jump to the river or the latin for the colour black? Maybe you would.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ArchangelMadzz said:
walsufnir said:

And I showed you that you are incorrect.

The part after it is "I hereby change the discussion so that it fits with what I'm saying. This means GT5 isn't a valid argument because although I didn't define before which games are valid, it's contradicting the point  I was going to make. And of course choose to end this discussion with a non-related hit against 360's first party games. Not that it has to do anything with what I was going to say when I wanted to "win" this discussion".

Oh dear. So in conclusion I'm incorrect because GT5 cost 60 million dollars even though Halo 3 cost 60 million dollars?  Nevermind the 90 million budget the Halo MMO had. Nevermind the fact that All of the Uncharted games combined cost 65 million. 

Lets not forget this gem that cost $100 million 

But all in all, this is proving that budget and a games visuals don't really matter as much as you originally thought. Which was YOUR WHOLE POINT.

That game you mentioned had many other reasons for going so massively overbudget, heck I think based on a court order you might legally have to destroy the Jpg of the cover art lol

http://www.gametrailers.com/news-post/38310/all-unsold-copies-of-too-human-must-be-destroyed-by-court-order

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Naughty Dog and Killzone games look good, but not that good. I'd argue games like Gears 3 and Halo 4 were at par and more technically impressive. 

I am just gonna have to vehimantly disagree with you on that one.  My friends who had 360's actually told be they thought the 360's games looked almost a gen behind, so I was being nice with what I said/think.

When it comes to technically impressive - Killzone 2 with 32 players and far better physics and lighting makes 10-player Gears look downright simplistic.

Gears 1 looks dated and should, its from 2006. Gears 2 raised the bar on scale, it was able to push a lot more on screen while maintaining great performance. Gears 3 added a lot more polish.

Killzone games on PS3 look very impressive for the 7th gen, but they don't look a generation ahead. Far Cry 3 and 4 are overall better looking games and open world.

They don't get much attention but the Battlefield 4 and Hardline look pretty good on 7th gen. They impress me more than the Killzone games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

fireburn95 said:
Sony's studios got to grips with it pretty well, because they took the time and invested into r&d instead of expecting cookies on a platter. That churned out many great looking ps3 exclusives, some of which, arguably, looked better than a lot of PC games at the time. Games like GOW3, Uncharted 2&3, Beyond all won the yearly Best graphics categories.

Not necessarily. I remember hearing somewhere that Naughty Dog had trouble with Uncharted 3 because there was a chance a PS3 playing it would overheat. It took until a few days before it went Gold to fix it.

It just made a dev's job more difficult to do which is why this one seems to be bitching about it. Sony learned from it and we ultimately benefited from it.