By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Forza Motorsport 6 - Metacritic 87 / Game Rankings 89.23%

walsufnir said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Again, it affects gameplay in the way it does any modern racer. The reason why they're pointing it out is because they're used to Forza gameplay, and now they're experiencing different gameplay given that it's raining and it's affecting the formula. I don't hear reviewers hailing how it makes it so different to every other racing game in existence based on rain physics.

Nope. And the reason you are presenting is also not true which makes me wonder how you come to this post like at all.

"Bucketing rain is Forza 6’s biggest bullet point and the effect itself is astounding. It would’ve been nice if the wet weather was able to arrive and break up dynamically (as it does in Forza Horizon 2) because it would add some tactical spice to the racing, but visually and physically it’s extremely impressive. The streaking droplets on the windscreen, which slosh under the wipers and trace left or right with cornering forces, are a big step up from Horizon 2 – far closer to the likes of Driveclub – but it’s the 3D puddles of standing water all around the tracks that really make Forza 6’s wet weather racing an unmissable experience.

Hit a puddle with one side of your car at speed and it’s going to try to drag you off track, as that side slows from the drag of the water. Notice a small lake on the apex of your favourite corner? Take a wider line; you can’t steer when you’re skimming over the water’s surface like the world’s least-practical wakeboard. It’s not just slipperier; it’s like the tracks are actively trying to kill you. It makes for amazing racing, whether you’re behind a fancy wheel or content with feeling the feedback though the Xbox One controller’s criminally underrated haptic triggers. That this is all achieved with 24 cars on track and at an undaunted 60 frames-per-second is quite remarkable."

source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/09/08/forza-motorsport-6-review

Again, take it as a service from me to you that I bolded an important part, again.

That sounds a lot more positive than Eurogamer's take on it

Let's forget, for a second, that if ever there were whole rivers running across the foot of Eau Rouge there wouldn't be a motor race, and enjoy Forza Motorsport 6's introduction of wet weather for what it is. There's a neat thrill in the prospect of aquaplaning lends to a race, and visually Turn 10 has worked wonders with the weather, but without the changing conditions that are so central to motorsport, and that are present in many other driving games, it ultimately feels a little too much like a gimmick.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-08-forza-motorsport-6-back-to-the-series-heyday

At least they bring something new to the table, but it sounds a bit like a distraction from the fact F6 is still lagging behind the competition when it comes to the full tactical effect rain has on a race.  Basically you have 6 extra track layouts to memorize and that's that for rain. Quite different from having to adjust in lap 3 to a sudden downpour or slow steady rain progressively making the track harder to handle. Add 6 night races and it is really quite a small offering when it comes to variety.

The same is true of the night racing, where the baked-in conditions feel like something of a missed opportunity given the return of endurance events for Forza Motorsport 6. Here's hoping it's a step towards something more dynamic in future Forza games.

Sounds like a preview for Forza 7 where hopefully every track will feature dynamic time and weather. Forza 7 prologue when it comes to rain/night. I've only been waiting since Forza 3 for variable race conditions. 7 should do it. Meanwhile I'll pick this up when I get an XBox One, limited or not, it's still something new.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
walsufnir said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Again, it affects gameplay in the way it does any modern racer. The reason why they're pointing it out is because they're used to Forza gameplay, and now they're experiencing different gameplay given that it's raining and it's affecting the formula. I don't hear reviewers hailing how it makes it so different to every other racing game in existence based on rain physics.

Nope. And the reason you are presenting is also not true which makes me wonder how you come to this post like at all.

"Bucketing rain is Forza 6’s biggest bullet point and the effect itself is astounding. It would’ve been nice if the wet weather was able to arrive and break up dynamically (as it does in Forza Horizon 2) because it would add some tactical spice to the racing, but visually and physically it’s extremely impressive. The streaking droplets on the windscreen, which slosh under the wipers and trace left or right with cornering forces, are a big step up from Horizon 2 – far closer to the likes of Driveclub – but it’s the 3D puddles of standing water all around the tracks that really make Forza 6’s wet weather racing an unmissable experience.

Hit a puddle with one side of your car at speed and it’s going to try to drag you off track, as that side slows from the drag of the water. Notice a small lake on the apex of your favourite corner? Take a wider line; you can’t steer when you’re skimming over the water’s surface like the world’s least-practical wakeboard. It’s not just slipperier; it’s like the tracks are actively trying to kill you. It makes for amazing racing, whether you’re behind a fancy wheel or content with feeling the feedback though the Xbox One controller’s criminally underrated haptic triggers. That this is all achieved with 24 cars on track and at an undaunted 60 frames-per-second is quite remarkable."

source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/09/08/forza-motorsport-6-review

Again, take it as a service from me to you that I bolded an important part, again.

Let's forget, for a second, that if ever there were whole rivers running across the foot of Eau Rouge there wouldn't be a motor race, and enjoy Forza Motorsport 6's introduction of wet weather for what it is. There's a neat thrill in the prospect of aquaplaning lends to a race, and visually Turn 10 has worked wonders with the weather, but without the changing conditions that are so central to motorsport, and that are present in many other driving games, it ultimately feels a little too much like a gimmick.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-08-forza-motorsport-6-back-to-the-series-heyday

At least they bring something new to the table, but it sounds a bit like a distraction from the fact F6 is still lagging behind the competition when it comes to the full tactical effect rain has on a race.  Basically you have 6 extra track layouts to memorize and that's that for rain. Quite different from having to adjust in lap 3 to a sudden downpour or slow steady rain progressively making the track harder to handle. Add 6 night races and it is really quite a small offering when it comes to variety.

The same is true of the night racing, where the baked-in conditions feel like something of a missed opportunity given the return of endurance events for Forza Motorsport 6. Here's hoping it's a step towards something more dynamic in future Forza games.

Sounds like a preview for Forza 7 where hopefully every track will feature dynamic time and weather. Forza 7 prologue when it comes to rain/night. I've only been waiting since Forza 3 for variable race conditions. 7 should do it. Meanwhile I'll pick this up when I get an XBox One, limited or not, it's still something new.

But this isn't adressing that rain affects the gameplay more than in other games. Eurogamer is talking about changing weather conditions which is fine to say but doesn't change the fact that Forza 6 affects the gameplay with wet weather like no one has done before (or games I don't know of, of course).

walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:

But this isn't adressing that rain affects the gameplay more than in other games. Eurogamer is talking about changing weather conditions which is fine to say but doesn't change the fact that Forza 6 affects the gameplay with wet weather like no one has done before (or games I don't know of, of course).

Yes aquaplaning is new, at least at the level F6 does. GT has it too when the track gets very wet, just not the drag effect from plowing into a deep puddle. However in F6 it affects the race less than in other games. Choosing when to go into the pits and to pick what tires can make or break a race. Instead of turning each track into a ton of different experiences you only get 6 extra layouts where, indeed, rain affects the handling more than in any game before it.

Actually looking into it now, GT6 does it in some degree

I was bearing down on the first place Xanavi Nismo on lap 9. Pulled out of the slipstream just before the pit exit only to find quite a lot of standing water off line....... I was taken by surprise as initially, I only got the two right hand tyres 'in the wet stuff' and, like a real life situation, the Raybrig I was driving twitched and slewed to the right as if the sudden resistance of hitting the water slowed that side down. This was soon replaced by that horrible 'floating' sensation as all four wheels were now fully on the wet side of the track, sliding along side the Nismo.
Getting it straight and back on the dry line before the right handers was a mixture of skill and luck (OK, more luck than skill LOL) but it was a great experience all the same.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/is-it-just-me-or-has-aquaplaning-been-added.321859/

The problem with GT6 was that tire grip was set to low for career, which made normal tires outperform rain tires. Set grip to real and wet and dry lines on the track turn the race into a new experience. I have had similar experiences with the control slipping away from me when leaving the racing line. GT6 doesn't have any sound effects to warn you though. The car just goes :/

ethomaz said:
jlmurph2 said:

I've heard the gameplay doesn't hold up in those games.

It is the first time I see somebody criticizing GT gameplay... that was not the issues about GT franchise.

so maybe you are making something up here.

I'm gonna have agree with ethom....agree with ethom...agree...agree.....

*malfunction* *malfunction* *anti-ethomaz perimeter exceeded* 

Ahem.  I don't agree with Ethomaz but I DON'T agree with jlmurph.  Whew! Almost initiated a total shutdown!!

d21lewis said:
ethomaz said:

It is the first time I see somebody criticizing GT gameplay... that was not the issues about GT franchise.

so maybe you are making something up here.

Ahem.  I don't agree with Ethomaz but I DON'T agree with jlmurph.  Whew! Almost initiated a total shutdown!!

Looks like the Xbots are running low on energon... *evil laugh*

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Ruler said:
walsufnir said:
So critically the best racer this gen. At least it looks to be a lot better than Forza 5 and it seems the weather affects gameplay like no racer has done before.
I wonder what Forza 7 will do in terms of improvement.

Like no racer had done before? Driveclub has it done before and so did every granturismo before that

Weather barely affects the gameplay in Driveclub, mostly your vision. It's an arcade racer. GT it affected them but not nearly the level of F6.

I am sure GT7 will see much better rain racing than GT6.

It could be just me, but when rains in Driveclub, the track becomes a lot slippery. 

danielrdp said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Ruler said:
walsufnir said:
So critically the best racer this gen. At least it looks to be a lot better than Forza 5 and it seems the weather affects gameplay like no racer has done before.
I wonder what Forza 7 will do in terms of improvement.

Like no racer had done before? Driveclub has it done before and so did every granturismo before that

Weather barely affects the gameplay in Driveclub, mostly your vision. It's an arcade racer. GT it affected them but not nearly the level of F6.

I am sure GT7 will see much better rain racing than GT6.

It could be just me, but when rains in Driveclub, the track becomes a lot slippery. 

Sure. When you drive in mud in Super Mario Kart, the Karts also felt more slippery.

d21lewis said:

lol

It just that the driving/handling that is what I call gameplay was never mentioned like a issue... the opposite it was praised in GT5/GT6,

Some big issues for example:

- Sound
- Standard cars/tracks
- Bad carrer mode

He saying one of the biggest advantages of GT over the competition being something that doesn't hold up feels wrong... even InsideRacingSim give GT5 max score in gameplay.driving simulation

PGR was slippery in rain and another kind of slippery on snow years ago. It still was simple arcade style.
Other games have had good to great rain races for their time as well.

But Forza 6's implementation of water on the track is probably the best so far in how it affects driving.

ethomaz said:
d21lewis said:

lol

It just that the driving/handling that is what I call gameplay was never mentioned like a issue... the opposite it was praised in GT5/GT6,

Some big issues for example:

- Sound
- Standard cars/tracks
- Bad carrer mode

He saying one of the biggest advantages of GT over the competition being something that doesn't hold up feels wrong... even InsideRacingSim give GT5 max score in gameplay.driving simulation

Well GT5 is the last GT game that got high scores from Inside Sim Racing they didn't like 6 too much and pointed out the obivious flaws that it had and that where also in previous titles they actually liked FM5 better then GT6.