By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pikmin 4 in development and "very close to completion"

RolStoppable said:
From a business perspective, it makes no sense that this game was greenlit. But if it's already close to completion, then the only thing left to do is hope that they include features that should have been in Pikmin 3. Like a co-op campaign.

That's the smartest thing I've ever seen you say.

Now hopefully it has better graphics than Pikmin 3.

It should be on the NX though.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Samus Aran said:
RolStoppable said:
From a business perspective, it makes no sense that this game was greenlit. But if it's already close to completion, then the only thing left to do is hope that they include features that should have been in Pikmin 3. Like a co-op campaign.

The flaming was uncalled for.

Speaking of flaming, have you done enough brainstorming, so that we are ready to launch the project?

I can probably come up with some others by tomorrow.

Fuck yes! One of my favourite Nintendo franchises! Now, I expect they add some twists to the gameplay, plus a local multiplayer cooperative mode will be fantastic :)

Samus Aran said:
RolStoppable said:

It will have better graphics but Pikmin 3 is already one of the prettiest games on the console.

RolStoppable said:

My guess is they feel like they made the Pikmin engine for HD, and if they just move on from it, then the effort/budget spent on it will kind of be a waste because Pikmin 3 didn't exactly sell that great. So double dipping with the same engine and make another game out of it might be their way of recouping some of the initial costs they spent on making the first game. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
RolStoppable said:

My guess is they feel like they made the Pikmin engine for HD, and if they just move on from it, then the effort/budget spent on it will kind of be a waste because Pikmin 3 didn't exactly sell that great. So double dipping with the same engine and make another game out of it might be their way of recouping some of the initial costs they spent on making the first game. 

Not sure, Pikmin 3 sales are not bad (probably around 1 milion counting digital), knowing that Pikmin 2 sold 1.2 milions then Pikmin 3 was probably meant to be profitable selling less than a milion, and Pikmin 3 at its core was a Wii game, they upgraded it to WiiU with all new gorgeous high definition textures, illumination effects and more stuff and is one of the prettiest games on the console but it doesn´t seem like they did an entire new engine for it as it doesn´t really take profit of the WiiU potential, and I´m sure the improvements on HD development that they did with that game have been used in more games so the investment was really worth it.

I'm not really even sure if Pikmin 3 has sold a million. Probably overtracked here, because Nintendo lists all million sellers in their financial reports, and Pikmin 3 hasn't been listed there, which is a tell tale sign that they shipped fewer than 1 million copies.

Soundwave said:
I'm not really even sure if Pikmin 3 has sold a million. Probably overtracked here, because Nintendo lists all million sellers in their financial reports, and Pikmin 3 hasn't been listed there, which is a tell tale sign that they shipped fewer than 1 million copies.

But it was one of the most downloaded games of the console, If the game has needed 2 years to sell a million with the help of digital sales they will probably not give the numbers now, and even if is not a million seller it is probably not so far.

Soundwave said:

I thought only games that made a million in a fiscal quarter made the list.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Goodnightmoon said:
Soundwave said:

But it was one of the most downloaded games of the console, If the games has needed 2 years to sell a million with the help of digital sales they will probably not give the numbers now, and even if is not a million seller it is probably not so far.

If that's the case then 930k retail sold through from VGChartz + digital downloads + any retail overstock should be 1+ million fairly easily. 

And Nintendo would list it as a million seller in their financial statements, but that's not the case, so that points to VGChartz overtracking this game, like they have with several other Nintendo games. Bayonetta 2 for example is overtracked by a country mile here, VGChartz is very generous with their Nintendo numbers. Wii U is almost always overtracked compared to its NPD actuals too.