By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - What would you do if The Force Awakens is worse than the prequels?

What would you do if The Force Awakens is worse than the prequels?

Cry. 45 13.27%

Not care. 117 34.51%

Get Angry. 36 10.62%

Be Sad. 95 28.02%

See Results. 46 13.57%

Total:339
ganoncrotch said:
mZuzek said:

I can only agree with the Jar Jar Binks part, and then again that was only ever a problem in The Phantom Menace.

But the one particular part of your post I want to address is the bolded one - you do realize Anakin did bring balance to the force, right?

Very aware of it, but why did the planets of Jedi want to find the person who would bring balance so much... when before Anakin they have such a massive grasp on the universe. I know Vader is eventually the one who chucks Palpatine down into the exhaust shaft of the 2nd Death Star if that is what you mean by bringing balance? but even still, had Vader not done that portion of the fight in Return of the Jedi the Death Star was already well on the way to being destroyed by Lando in the Falcon, he was going to die with or without that intervention.

My point is just that Sith lords were a rumor when the Jedi council wanted to bring balance to the force... at a point when the Jedi had a council.

Hey, the Jedi became very arrogant. They were afraid that they would lose their power. At least, that's my take on it.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
ganoncrotch said:

Very aware of it, but why did the planets of Jedi want to find the person who would bring balance so much... when before Anakin they have such a massive grasp on the universe. I know Vader is eventually the one who chucks Palpatine down into the exhaust shaft of the 2nd Death Star if that is what you mean by bringing balance? but even still, had Vader not done that portion of the fight in Return of the Jedi the Death Star was already well on the way to being destroyed by Lando in the Falcon, he was going to die with or without that intervention.

My point is just that Sith lords were a rumor when the Jedi council wanted to bring balance to the force... at a point when the Jedi had a council.

Well ok maybe that doesn't make too much sense at all.

What I mean by bringing balance is that he actually balanced it. As you said, there were loads and loads of Jedi and only one known Sith - after Anakin becomes Darth Vader, there are 2 Jedi and 2 Sith.

Not according to the old or new EU.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Worse than the anal-retentive pedantic prequels?

mornelithe said:
Soundwave said:

The prequels have NO EMOTION. No urgency. No believable character relationships. Horrific dialogue. 

I'm sorry but there is a large difference between the OT and prequels. The prequels are sterile, stiff cartoons with zero charm. Is there even a single quotable line from the prequels?

There is literally only one quote, from the first three movies.  One.  And it's actually a very, very good one.  I use it in debates often, actually:

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

The rest is completely forgetable.

But unlike 'there is no try,' and anything else you might care to quote from the first trilogy (I do not personally quote Star Wars to people, because there are many other more quotable things for adults to quote), the 'Only a Sith...' line is not universal because unlike the concepts of 'trying' and 'doing,' normal people don't know what a Sith is and don't identify with it as a relevant topic of discussion if they do. Unless they are huge Star Wars fans who don't see the inanity of comparing someone to a 'Sith' in a debate.

I would probably stop watching Star Wars; it's not like I'd jump off a bridge or anything. I'm terrified and excited all at once, on the one hand there is tremendous potential with a huge budget and some pretty big names involved, but on the other hand; it's Disney we're talking about, the modern epitome of sellout in the entertainment industry since they started with shit games and those god awful sequels to their classics.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
mornelithe said:

There is literally only one quote, from the first three movies.  One.  And it's actually a very, very good one.  I use it in debates often, actually:

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

The rest is completely forgetable.

But unlike 'there is no try,' and anything else you might care to quote from the first trilogy (I do not personally quote Star Wars to people, because there are many other more quotable things for aduls to quote), the 'Only a Sith...' line is not universal because unlike the concepts of 'trying' and 'doing,' normal people don't know what a Sith is and don't identify with it as a relevant topic of discussion if they do. Unless they are huge Star Wars fans who don't see the inanity of comparing someone to a 'Sith' in a debate.

Yeah, except there are quotes everywhere that people don't always pick up on, many of which have nothing to do with Star Wars.  I don't tailor my quotes to the company I keep, they can tailor their knowledge to my quotes, or they can simply inquire where it came from.  Pretty simple stuff.

mornelithe said:
VitroBahllee said:

But unlike 'there is no try,' and anything else you might care to quote from the first trilogy (I do not personally quote Star Wars to people, because there are many other more quotable things for aduls to quote), the 'Only a Sith...' line is not universal because unlike the concepts of 'trying' and 'doing,' normal people don't know what a Sith is and don't identify with it as a relevant topic of discussion if they do. Unless they are huge Star Wars fans who don't see the inanity of comparing someone to a 'Sith' in a debate.

Yeah, except there are quotes everywhere that people don't always pick up on, many of which have nothing to do with Star Wars.  I don't tailor my quotes to the company I keep, they can tailor their knowledge to my quotes, or they can simply inquire where it came from.  Pretty simple stuff.

Yes, I can imagine that quoting stuff about Siths makes you look pretty simple.

VitroBahllee said:
mornelithe said:

Well, thankfully, most people I talk to are quite a bit less rude than you are.  It's not beneath them to ask a quesiton what it's referring to.  

mornelithe said:
VitroBahllee said:

Well, thankfully, most people I talk to are quite a bit less rude than you are.  It's not beneath them to ask a quesiton what it's referring to.  

Most people are less rude than you, and don't willingly make obscure references with the expectation that their interlocutors will ask them what they just meant.

Back on topic, I thought the new Star Trek movies by Abrams were very well done, but they do seem to have less repeat viewing potential than some of the older ones. A LOT of the nerdier people online seemed to hate Darkness, and while I really enjoyed it coming out of the theater, I found my urge to watch it again dwindle over time. I thought the first of the new ones was better, after they had both been out a while.

Mummelmann said:
I would probably stop watching Star Wars; it's not like I'd jump off a bridge or anything. I'm terrified and excited all at once, on the one hand there is tremendous potential with a huge budget and some pretty big names involved, but on the other hand; it's Disney we're talking about, the modern epitome of sellout in the entertainment industry since they started with shit games and those god awful sequels to their classics.

This is why I'm scared. Thank you for voicing my concerns, Mummelmann!