By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does exclusivity increase your enjoyment of a game?

Is it better if it's exclusive?

Hell Yeah! 98 32.03%

Couldn't care less. 145 47.39%

EA sucks 63 20.59%

Total:306
sethnintendo said:
Conina said:
sethnintendo said:
d21lewis 

No example of online being taken from games people were still playing just to force them to buy the updated sequel?  You drawing a blank, here?

Games being taken down from online to promote new games... EA sports games.

Or Gran Turismo 5 / Mario Kart Wii in favor to GT6 / Mario Kart 8... the platform owners sometimes aren't much better. ;)

Nintendo took down online support for the Wii's entire library (except I believe you can still access the Wii Shop Channel and the streaming services).  Perhaps it was a move to get people onto the new systems but it didn't work too well.  They are at least saving money.  Most companies are guilty of axing online support for older games so I guess it would be unfair to pick on just one company for doing it.

That was different for Nintendo. They didn't pull a EA. Gamespy died. They where the company running Wii servers.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

That was different for Nintendo. They didn't pull a EA. Gamespy died. They where the company running Wii servers.

No, it wasn't different for Nintendo. EA used the same GameSpy-excuse: http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-titles-hosted-on-gamespy

The writing was on the wall since 2012 when the first batch of games using GameSpy lost online support. Nintendo, EA and other publishers had enough time to switch popular games to their own servers or buy the GameSpy servers or whatever.

Not at all.

I honestly couldn't care less for the enjoyment if a game is exclusive or not, but for shure an exclusive makes the console feel worth it for me

Of a game? No. Of a console? Yes.

Around the Network

No, only certain games interest me in the first place. Only action/racing and certain rpgs (basically mass effect and dragon age) games interest me. That is probably why I like Microsoft exclusives because they appeal to me more than Nintendo games (I do like Mario Kart however) or Sony exclusive games outside of naughty dog games / twisted metal.

MikeRox said:
Busted said:
The way i see its just that if certain console has certain game that i like and i can't play it anywhere else it is obviously one more reason to buy the console but that's it; the answer to your question is no, as i can't see what one thing has to do with the other (me liking the game)

Well nor can I. But you look at the level of excitement a game like Devils Third had been creating before release. Had it been a multiplatform game, I highly doubt it'd have been on anyone's radar after last year's E3 showing...

It just seems to be a key aspect in whether many on here consider playing a game or not.

this is my exact reason as to why uncharted is so overhyped theres no way that series would be talked about as much if it wasnt a ps exclusive especially when they desperately needed one

Conina said:
Samus Aran said:
Conina said:
Samus Aran said:
Super Mario Maker is a better game because it's exclusive thanks to the gamepad making it much easier to create levels than in LBP.

LBP Vita used the touchscreen/sticks/buttons-combination to make it much easier to create levels years before Super Mario Maker. LBP3 on PS4 uses a touchpad/sticks/buttons-combination to make it much easier to create levels. Xbox-consoles could use any smartglass-device for level-creation...

Not nearly as good as the gamepad with SMM.

Yeah, like you have even tried creating levels with LBP Vita, LBP3 or Project Spark (which supports smartglass)...

Don't get drawn in. He's stuck in an alternate dimension where Nintendo is the only company that ever made anything. I dread to think how he would react to a world where Vita existed :p

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Well, it's kind of a multi point answer.

1: Games that are exclusive tend to run better as all the development time can be centered around it being built from the ground up on one console.

2: It helps make the console the exclusive is released on seem more appealing to me.

So yes, it can help the enjoyment of the game. That said there are exclusives that run like shit, in which case no, it wouldn't boost my enjoyment.

In a way, kind of. While it wouldn't necessarily increase the enjoyment of a game, on the other, it gives exclusives a charm knowing that you can only play them on one platform but they can end up on your list of all-time favorite games, like Killzone 2, Sly Cooper, LittleBigPlanet, The Last of Us, Crack in Time, Super Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker, the list can go on.