By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - FTC Slams YouTube Group For 'Deceptive' Xbox Marketing Campaign

Tagged games:

czecherychestnut said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well in my opinion MS is just asking them to preview products in a positive manner. Basically MS just wants people to be aware of their products and what they feature. They can save the trash talk for other videos down the road, such as reviews.

If MS was paying them to say their console was the best or exagerating how great the games look, that would be flat out wrong. You dont have to mislead viewers to discuss a product in a positive manner.

If you pay someone to discuss your product in a positive light, and you disclose that arrangement, no problem. But the arrangement between Starcom and Machinima specifically prohibited the disclosure of the arrangement, and therefore the video's were misleading because they portrayed an independent review or opinion when in fact it wasn't independent. If you wanted the money, it had to be positive coverage and the arrangement couldn't be disclosed, but the viewers weren't aware of either condition. 

I feel positive coverage is basically anything not negative. Hence, merely discussing what the game is and why its interesting can be positive. But I think others perceive this deal as MS wants people to flat out lie about the product. You can be positive without misleading.

Again, if the video producers are lying to get money thats wrong. Paying for good reviews also wrong. But getting paid to discuss what you like about an upcoming game is fine. Thats kinda what a preview often is. This isnt black and white.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I don't get it: So MS paid them to do favorable Xbox coverage. What is the difference between this and advertising? Also, we have numerous "official Xbox, PS, Nintendo" review sites, does anyone think they will ever be objective? So I don't really get what the complaint is? Someone care to explain?

A lot of SonyToo™ posts in here hahaha

Be it review/let's play/preview, when money changes hands it should always be mentioned. MS is not the only one doing it and these tactics are used to promote any product imaginable. You can bet there are streamers who are playing a specific game just for marketing reasons, paid by the dev/pub and without any disclosure. Social media has become just another tool for manipulation, money talks.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Puppyroach said:
I don't get it: So MS paid them to do favorable Xbox coverage. What is the difference between this and advertising? Also, we have numerous "official Xbox, PS, Nintendo" review sites, does anyone think they will ever be objective? So I don't really get what the complaint is? Someone care to explain?

The issue isn't that they were being paid for the favorable coverage, the issue is that they weren't upfront about it, indeed they're accused of outright hiding the fact.  You ever watch a commercial and see a lot of tiny white print at the bottom of the screen?  That's the stuff telling you that the celebrity endorsing the product is being paid for their time, or that the account given in the ad is being made by an actor not some schmuck off the street giving you a heartfelt recommendation (unless otherwise stated of course).  It's a truth in advertising thing, people are generally more prone to trusting an endorsement from someone they feel is unbiased, and to try and atificially create that sense of impartiality is tantamount to false advertisement.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

All three companies do things like this behind the scenes. Don't get tricked into the whole "good vs. evil" nonsense. 

When Sony 'misled' people with the PS Vita advertising they had to pay.  And that was right.  This isn't good vs evil and I never insinuated that everyone does not.  I do however feel that Microsoft should pay for this transgression because they were wrong.    I believe that if corporations want to have 'personhood' then they must be held accountable in the same way that a person would.   This barely registers on the scale of bad things that companies have done, but that doesn't mean Microsoft gets a pass.   No one should get a pass. 

So you should not be fooled by a ligitmate critisism. of any corporation.   We need to stand together as consumers. 

I take action when results can be had. In this particular case, nothing we do can and will change things. The US, right now, is under the control of big business. Almost everything we watch and read is either paid for, or influened by said businesses. Even the politicians are nothing more than talking corporate puppets.

The best defense against this sort of thing is developing really good critical thinking skills. I think we should arm our children with them from birth so when they get out there, and see things, they can immediately go "THAT'S BULLSHIT".

Sheeit Mircosoft pay me. I'll shill for your Xbone.

celador said:
Not surprising MS had to go to these measures to get positive news for the X1 at launch.

Does make you wonder about the numerous articles throughout this year with a laser focus on Q4 exclusives between PS4 and X1, and the brushing over of the rest of the year.

There's nothing to wonder our media has become trash. I don't even listen to reviews anymore you cant trust anyone anymore. I switched to PC gaming and now I pirate all my games try them out and then buy it if I like it.