By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - FTC Slams YouTube Group For 'Deceptive' Xbox Marketing Campaign

Tagged games:

BreedinBull said:
This really is going to make it hard for the legit reviewers to be taken seriously.

This actally has nothing to do with Reviewers. Youtube influencers, yes. They have a responsibility to disclose any and all marketing deals they're apart of, failure to do so can lead to punishment for misleading viewers. 

Doing brand deals are exceptable, you just have to be open with your audience about the deals you make. Doing something that doesn't fit your image or influencer habits for the sake of obtaining more money falls under the category of "selling out". 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Wow Microsft shame on you for advertising your product.

There's a fine difference between advertising/advertisement and paying YouTubers money to deliver a message which seems to be the YouTuber's own independent opinion while it isn't.

Shit likes this makes it harder and harder to take a reviewer's/YouTuber's opinion seriously since the reviewer/YouTuber might as well have been paid by someone to deliver a positive review, as in this case. I'm totally fine if a publisher and/or platform holder pays someone to give attention to their product with something like a Let's Play and the people watching know about the deal, but this is just "here is some cash, please tell the hundred of thousands/millions of people who watch you that our product is awesome according to you even if that's not your opinion, deal?"

poklane said:
jason1637 said:

There's a fine difference between advertising/advertisement and paying YouTubers money to deliver a message which seems to be the YouTuber's own independent opinion while it isn't.

Shit likes this makes it harder and harder to take a reviewer's/YouTuber's opinion seriously since the reviewer/YouTuber might as well have been paid by someone to deliver a positive review, as in this case.

These guys are quite honestly the definition of the word schill. They are paid by Microsoft indirectly to post "independent" reviews.

Honestly, I dont feel MS did anything wrong. This is advertising. Just because FTC feels its wrong doesent make it wrong, they are just people with an opinion.

People that actually enjoy MS products can meet those requests without selling their soul. If people arent saying what they actually feel to get money from MS, well thats another story and not MS's fault.

For example, a positive review for money is very wrong. But getting paid to talk about X1 in a positive light doesent hurt anyone.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Didn't someone recently made a thread about the media being bias against MS.... I wonder how long they've been marketing their games like this.

Around the Network

Microsoft paid me $100,000 to like the Xbox One. I really like it.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Mr Puggsly said:
Honestly, I dont feel MS did anything wrong. This is advertising. Just because FTC feels its wrong doesent make it wrong, they are just people with an opinion.

People that actually enjoy MS products can meet those requests without selling their soul. If people arent saying what they actually feel to get money from MS, well thats another story and not MS's fault.

For example, a positive review for money is very wrong. But getting paid to talk about X1 in a positive light doesent hurt anyone.

"FTC are just people with an opinion"

Yeah.. I think i heard enough.... 

Wow

CosmicSex said:

And why does Microsoft get off scott free here. 

This is why I don't trust the media's constant barrage of pro Xbox content.  I really have a hard time beliveing that Machina is the only one doing these deals. 

Its so hard to trust anything I hear from gaming sites anymore. 

Brown envelopes, MS are goods friends with Blatter.

Mr Puggsly said:

This is the impression I got from reading your post. Also aren't you splitting hairs with the bolded part?

jason1637 said:

Advertising your product is fine, not disclosing that it's a paid advert is not. MS (through Starcom their ad agency) and machinima had a deal to pay per view for positive Xb1 video's, with an explicit condition that the arrangement not be disclosed and no negative comments could be made. That's deceptive and illegal.