By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The audacity! Obama changes the name of Mt. Mckinley to Mt. Denali! Past is the past people!

In case you needed another reason not to vote for Trump.

Around the Network

really dissapointed in alot of the posts here
THE NATIVES/INHABITANTS of the state want the official state to be called Denali so whats the issue
It was changed for an arbitary reason
Sheesh back to gaf for me

On one hand, "McKinley" is a cooler name for a mountain than Denali. Sure, Denali is what natives called it, but it literally translates to "tall."

On the other hand, President William McKinley, for whom the mountain was named, has virtually nothing to do with Alaska. Alaska was acquired much earlier, during the Johnson administration, and wouldn't be an organized territory until years later, during the Taft years. If I had to name the mountain after any president, it'd be Eisenhower, since he was president during the time statehood was passed.

Maybe I'd be a touch sad if McKinley was a great and legendary president. After all, people name things after Washingtoon and Lincoln even when they're not related. Problem was, he was decent, but not phenomenal. He deserves credit for being a fairly forceful leader. His foreign policy was aggressive and opportunist, leading to the war with Spain, aquisition of their territories, encouraging international trade, and the annexation of Hawaii. However, these victories were often morally questionable. For example, he did not respect the Philippines's wish for self-rule, leading to a bloody war where American forces burnt villages to the ground and rounded people up in camps. Really, McKinley can be seen as a starting point for a lot of the nastier American policies of the past 120 years.

So let's call it Denali.

Love and tolerate.

binary solo said:
TechnoHobbit said:
I personally don't see the problem as long as the name change has local support, which it apparently does going by the fact the official name in Alaska has been Denali for the past 40 years.

Interestingly the governor of Alaska at the time the name in Alaska was changed back to Denali was a Republican. The president who signed the law making it Mount McKinley was Wodrow Wilson, a Democrat. 

According to Wikipedia the person who first named it Mount McKinley was a gold propector who was doing it in support of McKinley's presidential campaign. Does anyone know if that's true, or is it a Wiki-ism?

Republicans, who say they favour state's rights i.e. the autonomy of states to make decisions about things internal to the state, are opposed to the federal recognition of a decision the state of Alaska made back in 1975. Hypocrisy, how does it work?

Wikipedia sure got onto the official name change fast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali

To be fair both parties are quick to go down a path of hypocrisy whenever it suits their needs. Though yeah, this is especially ridiculous.

Anyway. I looked into it a little and the story behind the name appears to be legit lol.  

As someone else mentioned eariler, it apparently wasn't even President Obama who issued the order, it was the Interior Secretary with Obama's approval.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

ArchangelMadzz said:
spurgeonryan said:

It is the largest mountain in North America!!!

And if you did a survey on how many americans could name the largest moutain in north america how would the percentage be? 1%? 0.1%? I'm a pretty knowledgable guy but I wouldn't have been able to name it.

This is the country where 20% of people can't point to America on a freaking map. 

You're flipping out over literally nothing.

False outrage is obviously false.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
LuckyTrouble said:

Yeah, um, if you had read the article, you'd understand that we forcefully changed the name to begin with, and basically took a dump all over the heritage of the native Alaskan people for a president hardly anybody actually talks about. I mean, why did a mountain in Alaska need to pay tribute to a president from Ohio? Because it was something we hadn't forcefully seized in a show of imperialism yet?

To me, this is a long overdue move that shouldn't be even remotely controversial. And I swear, if people start using the slippery slope argument, they're getting a slap.

Ok, yeah...Saw that on the news. If we go back and change everything we "forcefully" changed or stole we would change everything. I don't need to be bullshitted.  According to your logic, we should be able to send African Americans back to African and be allowed to give them their land back that we stole them from. Or maybe we should just give California back to Mexico? Or lets not stop there! Lets force all South Americans to stop speaking Spanish and go back to their native language, since their rights were stolen from them long ago.

The past is the past. Sorry we had slaves, but reparations are over. Sorry we bombed Japan twice, but shit happens and their government was craxy back then, sorry Mexico lost half of America to us, but it is ours now.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

WolfpackN64 said:
KLAMarine said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Now they just need to get rid of Mt. Rushmore.

Why?

It was built on Lakota ground without their permission.

Are you suggesting we destroy the sculpture?

KLAMarine said:
WolfpackN64 said:
KLAMarine said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Now they just need to get rid of Mt. Rushmore.

Why?

It was built on Lakota ground without their permission.

I suggest the grounds be given back to the Lakota, if they want to keep it, there's no problem.

Skullwaker said:
I don't understand why this is worth getting upset over.

Its not.

WolfpackN64 said:
KLAMarine said:

I suggest the grounds be given back to the Lakota, if they want to keep it, there's no problem.

What if they wish to destroy it?