By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The audacity! Obama changes the name of Mt. Mckinley to Mt. Denali! Past is the past people!

Well I hope Trump changes the name of Obama's Prez library to 'McKinleys other library'!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
spurgeonryan said:

sorry Mexico lost half of America to us, but it is ours now.

Are you sure about that? There are several states, like Florida, where the primary language has been Spanish for quite some time now.

Let's find the end of this rabbit hole.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The past is not set in stone. We can actively influence people's view on the pas by changing things in the present and thus altering people's view going forward.

That and there was no f*ing reason the mountain was called Mt. McKinley.
Now they just need to get rid of Mt. Rushmore.

RolStoppable said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

People would name mount everest, fiji, kilimanjaro, vesuvius, mount st helens way before they'd name Mount McKinley, at least the others are indiginous names. Changing the name of the mountain to it's original name is logical. Unless Spurg was a Mount McKinley enthusiust, or a mountain/geology enthusiust that was truly and personally impacted by a name being changed back to it's original name. He's just waving his arms for the sake of doing it.

Are you seriously insinuating that spurge might be making a giant molehill out of a mountain? Unbelievable.

Him right on a  way i am from switzerland i know everest, fiji, kilimanjaro, vesuvius, mount st helens, k2, but never hear of  Mount McKinley before today ^^

Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:

Now they just need to get rid of Mt. Rushmore.

Why?

LuckyTrouble said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
The US owned Alaska when the name was changed and we own it now. If the Alaskans wanted to keep it the other name they should have fought harder to keep their lands in the first place. Losers in war don't get rights like that. Obama never wants to make anyone feel like a loser though boo hoo

Holy hell that is seriously an imperialism outlook. You would have gotten along joyously during the days of Manifest Destiny and such. It's kind of out there in 2015 though. The fact is, Alaska was overwhelmed by European powers first, with Russia ultimately claiming it as theirs and selling it to the US, which, by then, we were already more than okay with the idea of buying stolen land. I mean, how is a small population supposed to cope when a large population rains down on them with weaponry they've never seen before? When you're still hunting with handcrafted weaponry, and then someone jumps off a ship with forged guns, things aren't exactly going to go well. It's unfair to say "you were outmanned and outgunned, but you really should have fought harder if you cared".

"But we owned Alaska then and we do now!" And? It isn't as if our acquisition was justified. We just took Russia at their word when they said it was their land, bought it, shipped people in, and took over.

might is right.  I mean honestly people need to stop being such sore losers.  All is fair in love and war

I am Iron Man

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
LuckyTrouble said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
The US owned Alaska when the name was changed and we own it now. If the Alaskans wanted to keep it the other name they should have fought harder to keep their lands in the first place. Losers in war don't get rights like that. Obama never wants to make anyone feel like a loser though boo hoo

Holy hell that is seriously an imperialism outlook. You would have gotten along joyously during the days of Manifest Destiny and such. It's kind of out there in 2015 though. The fact is, Alaska was overwhelmed by European powers first, with Russia ultimately claiming it as theirs and selling it to the US, which, by then, we were already more than okay with the idea of buying stolen land. I mean, how is a small population supposed to cope when a large population rains down on them with weaponry they've never seen before? When you're still hunting with handcrafted weaponry, and then someone jumps off a ship with forged guns, things aren't exactly going to go well. It's unfair to say "you were outmanned and outgunned, but you really should have fought harder if you cared".

"But we owned Alaska then and we do now!" And? It isn't as if our acquisition was justified. We just took Russia at their word when they said it was their land, bought it, shipped people in, and took over.

might is right.  I mean honestly people need to stop being such sore losers.  All is fair in love and war

You mean kinda like those ISIS fighters that feel they have the right to blow up temples and shrines and architecture that's existed for thousands of years before them in a region they farted their way into? 

Good on Obama! Just because a mistake was made a long time ago doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

I don't see the issue here, seems like the proper move, and one that should have been made a while ago.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.