By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The audacity! Obama changes the name of Mt. Mckinley to Mt. Denali! Past is the past people!

TechnoHobbit said:
I personally don't see the problem as long as the name change has local support, which it apparently does going by the fact the official name in Alaska has been Denali for the past 40 years.

Interestingly the governor of Alaska at the time the name in Alaska was changed back to Denali was a Republican. The president who signed the law making it Mount McKinley was Wodrow Wilson, a Democrat. 

According to Wikipedia the person who first named it Mount McKinley was a gold propector who was doing it in support of McKinley's presidential campaign. Does anyone know if that's true, or is it a Wiki-ism?

Republicans, who say they favour state's rights i.e. the autonomy of states to make decisions about things internal to the state, are opposed to the federal recognition of a decision the state of Alaska made back in 1975. Hypocrisy, how does it work?

Wikipedia sure got onto the official name change fast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Who cares. Of all the problems to fixate on, seriously. 

Political correctness but other than that, I like his speech on Climate Change.

binary solo said:
TechnoHobbit said:
I personally don't see the problem as long as the name change has local support, which it apparently does going by the fact the official name in Alaska has been Denali for the past 40 years.

According to Wikipedia the person who first named it Mount McKinley was a gold propector who was doing it in support of McKinley's presidential campaign. Does anyone know if that's true, or is it a Wiki-ism?

Republicans, who say they favour state's rights i.e. the autonomy of states to make decisions about things internal to the state, are opposed to the federal recognition of a decision the state of Alaska made back in 1975. Hypocrisy, how does it work?

Wikipedia sure got onto the official name change fast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali

Here's an article dating back to 1897 which talks about the mountain and it's McKinley naming. I doubt the Republican candidates really care about this issue, just a political stunt that will be forgotten by next Monday. If someone were to expose their hypocrisy on such a minor issue, that would make my day.

spurgeonryan said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us/mount-mckinley-will-be-renamed-denali.html?_r=0

So...if he hates the name United States should  he just up and change back to its original name of New world or West indies?

Crazy!

Uhh...

West Indies = Caribbean islands

Around the Network

Spurge is right.

Look what happened in Australia when we renamed a lot of our landmarks back to aboriginal names.

We become too laid back for our own good and life is just hell being so relaxed and not being able to worry about names.

spurgeonryan said:
LuckyTrouble said:

Yeah, um, if you had read the article, you'd understand that we forcefully changed the name to begin with, and basically took a dump all over the heritage of the native Alaskan people for a president hardly anybody actually talks about. I mean, why did a mountain in Alaska need to pay tribute to a president from Ohio? Because it was something we hadn't forcefully seized in a show of imperialism yet?

To me, this is a long overdue move that shouldn't be even remotely controversial. And I swear, if people start using the slippery slope argument, they're getting a slap.

Ok, yeah...Saw that on the news. If we go back and change everything we "forcefully" changed or stole we would change everything. I don't need to be bullshitted.  According to your logic, we should be able to send African Americans back to African and be allowed to give them their land back that we stole them from. Or maybe we should just give California back to Mexico? Or lets not stop there! Lets force all South Americans to stop speaking Spanish and go back to their native language, since their rights were stolen from them long ago.

The past is the past. Sorry we had slaves, but reparations are over. Sorry we bombed Japan twice, but shit happens and their government was craxy back then, sorry Mexico lost half of America to us, but it is ours now.

Actually Spurge, no reporations took place.  They were proposed, however Republican's pulled back from that pledge made by either Lincoln or Grant.

Let's consider Alaskan history.  Alaska was a part of Russia, which the US ended-up purchasing from Alaska.  Generally speaking, Alaska was some place no-one cared about until gold was discovered in the Klondike.  Then, not long after that, it was forgotten again until oil was discovered there.  The only people that have ever given a shit about Alaska have been the people that lived there.  That includes both native and non-native people. 

As for Mexico, we fought a war against Spanish Mexico after Texas, which was a Republic at the time, was annexed.  Mexico, which had refused to acknowledge the right of Texas to cede from Mexico to for a Republic, was further incensed when the US annexed Texas.  The annexation of Texas, however, was nothing more than political gamesmenship by President Tyler in a failed bid to win another four years as president.  Texas, at the time, was a failing state, which had few beneficial resources that anyone wanted.  Nevertheless, Texas was annexed, and not only did the US aquire Texas, but New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California. 

The argument for Expansionism within the continential 48 states region has never really been questioned.  But look at the Spanish American War, and you'll see a different tune.  We annexed Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guam, Hawaii, and the Philippeans, as well as other islands.  While some of these territories have remained as US Territories over the years, others such as Cuba and the Philippeans became independent countries.  So, yes, we have given back lands to their original native people.  Heck, we paid Spain for the Phillipeans even though we beat them in a war that ended the Spanish Empire. 

Your assumption is we came to a land that wasn't inhabited.  The reality of it is, our forefather's came to a land that a native population of people inhabited.  While they didn't have the same type of governments we had, while they didn't see the world in terms of property, wealth, exploitation, and gain, they did have working economies that stretched across the country and east to west. 

To put it another way, our forefather's didn't happen upon an empty canvas, and start painting the world they wanted to see.  They happened upon a painting, and took it, then they painted over it and put their signature on it and said it was theirs.

Does that mean I believe we can go back and right every wrong?  No, but honestly I would rather have the mountain named Denali than McKinnely.  Hell, I would rather our stadiums and bowl games aren't named after commercial sponsors.  I remember when the Sun Bowl was just that, not the Tostidos Sun Bowl. 

I'm fairly certain that there is a large hill in Ohio that someone can name after McKinnely.  It would certainly be more fitting for a president that served 19 days and really did nothing in those 19 days of note or accomplishment.   

spurgeonryan said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us/mount-mckinley-will-be-renamed-denali.html?_r=0

So...if he hates the name United States should  he just up and change back to its original name of New world or West indies?

Crazy!

It should have never been changed to begin with.  McKinley had absolutely nothing to do with the mountain or the state of Alaska.  The name was changed purely for political purposes.  Alaska has been fighting to restore the correct name for DECADES.  

Would you like to see them continue to waste time in congress over this?  Why should people in Ohio (or any other part of the US for that matter) get to trump Alaska in the naming of their mountain?  Shouldn't Alaska have the final say in what their mountain is named?  Aren't Republican's all about state's rights?  If McKinley is so important to Ohio, shouldn't they just build a monument to him instead of renaming something completely unrelated in a different state?

How the name was actually changed:

A January 2015 bill submitted by Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski (R) re-proposed renaming North America's highest peak as Denali. In June 2015 testimony to Congress, the National Park Service's associate director stated that the NPS "has no objection to adopting the name of Denali for Mt. McKinley".

On August 30, 2015, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell announced that the mountain would be renamed Denali, under authority of federal law which permits the Secretary of the Interior to name geographic features if the Board of Geographic Names does not act within a "reasonable" period of time. In media interviews, Jewell cited the board's failure to act on the state's four-decade-old request, saying "I think any of us would think that 40 years is an unreasonable amount of time."  Trevor Burrus, a constitutional legal scholar at the Cato Institute, said that the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act of 1980, which Congress passed, changed the mountain's name to Denali, and Congress has yet to change it back to McKinley

Leadified said:
So reading up a quick history of the situation. The mountain was (unofficially) named McKinley in support for his bid for presidency and then officially a number of years after his assassination. However the native name has always existed beforehand.

The Alaskan legislature requested the federal change back to Denali back in the 70s. While Alaska have already been using and encouraging the name. So what exactly is the issue here? The people of Alaska know it as Denali. It's on their land, not Ohio's. It has been known as Denali for as long as anyone can remember.

This is a non-issue.

Somehow anything even remotely connected to Obama is an 'issue'. 

Eh, I don't like Obama but I don't disagree with this move. He's just changing the name back to what it was originally.