By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The audacity! Obama changes the name of Mt. Mckinley to Mt. Denali! Past is the past people!

Normchacho said:
Lawlight said:
He should also rename The United States of America.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic to make fun of how silly this is...but god I hope so.

Stop trolling. Give the USA the name that was most used by native Americans. No different principle from the mountain.

Around the Network

Don't worry Ryan.. When Trump gets elected you'll live in the united states of Trump, with King Trump The first.. Vote Trump!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Don't worry Ryan.. When Trump gets elected you'll live in the united states of Trump, with King Trump The first.. Vote Trump!

pff! he will build a new, its gonna be HUUUGE, and the natives will have to pay for it.

Alaska has been trying to get the name change recognized at the Federal level for 40-plus years. They did change it at the state level in 1980. The name change at the Federal level failed because a bunch of senators and reps from Ohio (McKinley's home state) pitched a bitch-fit about changing the name. Kind of like what Ohio's politicians are doing now. As for the rest of the politicians bitching about the name change, the bitching is politically motivated.

Lawlight said:
Normchacho said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic to make fun of how silly this is...but god I hope so.

Stop trolling. Give the USA the name that was most used by native Americans. No different principle from the mountain.

Except, the people in the state that the mountain resides in want the name to be Denali.  Just like the people living in the USA want the name USA.  Perhaps your example would be more similar is if the USA changed it's name to something that Canadians want...

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
bouzane said:

...and now the winner of two consecutive elections is deciding what it's called so I guess it sucks to be you :P

yeah cause that's totally the same lol.  winning an election is not the same as winning a territory.  The great thing about political victories is that they're always temporary.  Besides Alaska had already changed it back so he really had little to do with this.  I think he's mainly just trying to pull attention to this rather than the people in the streets saying "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon" since he played a big part in creating that terrible mentality.

You shouldn't take my ribbing so seriously. Your anger regarding this non-issue seems to be both misplaced as well as unjustified. If the Alaskans want to rename their own damn mountain why should the federal government oppose them? Also, you shouldn't take this non-issue so seriously and neither should anybody else (I agree that this is needlessly diverting attention from far more important issues). Finally, if you think Obama is personally responsible for creating this mentality you are giving him far too much credit.

Lawlight said:
Normchacho said:

Not trolling, I am 100% serious here. 

NOPE, there is a laundry list of reasons why those aren't the same thing. I'll go into all of them if you'd like, but for now I'll just stick with one.

Pretty much everyone that lives within at least a thousand miles of this mountain already calls it Denali. A similar scenario would actually be more like if the people in Alaska  had changed the name of Clevland to Doolittle, and then it was changed back.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

bouzane said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

yeah cause that's totally the same lol.  winning an election is not the same as winning a territory.  The great thing about political victories is that they're always temporary.  Besides Alaska had already changed it back so he really had little to do with this.  I think he's mainly just trying to pull attention to this rather than the people in the streets saying "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon" since he played a big part in creating that terrible mentality.

You shouldn't take my ribbing so seriously. Your anger regarding this non-issue seems to be both misplaced as well as unjustified. If the Alaskans want to rename their own damn mountain why should the federal government oppose them? Also, you shouldn't take this non-issue so seriously and neither should anybody else (I agree that this is needlessly diverting attention from far more important issues). Finally, if you think Obama is personally responsible for creating this mentality you are giving him far too much credit.

I said he played a big part.  Also read my fourth sentence again.  The reason I'm upset about this is when the story doesn't fit his agenda he just ignores it and talks about something insignificant like this.  I wish the media would call him out on it.  Or are people marching in the streets like that like not a big enough deal for a president to talk about?  Ah he'd probably spin it into "guns are bad mmmkay" again like he always seems to lol

I am Iron Man

KLAMarine said:
WolfpackN64 said:
KLAMarine said:

Are you suggesting we destroy the sculpture?

I suggest the grounds be given back to the Lakota, if they want to keep it, there's no problem.

What if they wish to destroy it?

It would kind of be a shame, but they forcefully took the land and put a statue of presidents of the USA there the Lakota had no affinity with.

WolfpackN64 said:

It would kind of be a shame, but they forcefully took the land and put a statue of presidents of the USA there the Lakota had no affinity with.

I for one wouldn't be okay with it at all. Mt. Rushmore is a piece of history.