By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Notch (Minecraft creator) has emotional breakdown to the Minecraft sell, ex-employees, life, etc. on Twitter

Guitarguy said:
hunter_alien said:
Make a goddamn game then... occupy your time and make good use of the money you just earned. FFS, its not like there is no need for an extra 2.5 billion in this world.

Sadly, any game he makes will be unfairly compared to Minecraft and the additional scrutiny will probably make him even more depressed. There is no way he can ever top Minecraft. That is like Jerry Seinfeld making a sitcom that tops "Seinfeld", it can't be done.

Yeah, Miyamoto should have stopped after Mario...

Around the Network

People, let me remind you he sold the game the company in the first place, ok?

Before the business went down, mohang changed the rules of private minecraft servers, affecting a lot of people, and threating a shutdown in some server that used a free to play model. Of course, as big as minecraft were, a lot of people reached him about it, and not in a ligth tone (oh, can you imagine it? people on internet overreacting?). Anyway, he was not even aware about all that fuss was about, he probably played no rule on that change in the policy, but afterall the pressure, he decided to quit, leave all behind, as he lived a simple life before minecraft. So when he say taht he can't go back, is because he doesn't want to deal with thid kind of pressure again.

Many of you didn't remenber, but after the first million of copies sold, he wondered what to make with all the money, saying something like" maybe will buy a car". Now you understand why rich people are usually reserved..

Between this and the flappy bird guy, developer should work better in their business perspective. Be prepared not only for failure, but also for a huge sucess.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Samus Aran said:
Guitarguy said:
hunter_alien said:
Make a goddamn game then... occupy your time and make good use of the money you just earned. FFS, its not like there is no need for an extra 2.5 billion in this world.

Sadly, any game he makes will be unfairly compared to Minecraft and the additional scrutiny will probably make him even more depressed. There is no way he can ever top Minecraft. That is like Jerry Seinfeld making a sitcom that tops "Seinfeld", it can't be done.

Yeah, Miyamoto should have stopped after Mario...

Miyamoto is a rarity. Given Notch is going through a breakdown, the odds are against him. Miyamoto never let it get to his head and never received such publicity(no internet back then, only gaming magazines essentially). I never saw Miyamoto publicly bitching about his fame/money/success lol.

Depression is a bitch. I do feel for him for that reason.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Notch is a good person with a lot of inner demons and pain. He made Minecraft, then he basically killed Minecraft. He's struggling to live with the fact that 2 billion dollars doesn't matter. In the end, happiness is internal.

I don't make much money myself. I'm basically poor. But I have my health, and the most beautiful little 10 year old daughter who's healthy, happy, and loved. I wouldn't trade my life for his for any amount of money.

Around the Network

I was going to feel a bit bad for him because it sounds like some kind of mental illness, but he really just sounds like a complete asshole, so fuck him.

RolStoppable said:
I wish I had his problems.

I stick with this comment. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

We all acknowledge that money doesn't make you happy and then condemn people who find out.

Just saying ...

The PS5 Exists. 

If I were hanging out in Ibiza I'd be miserable as well, money or not.

Anyway, fuck him and his billionaire "nobody loves me" problems. My guess is nobody really loved him before either.

Medical science has proven that the best method of fighting depression is posting on Twitter, he will be fine in no time.

Yeah, I feel really sorry for that poor billionaire. Don't get me wrong, I actually kinda like Notch. But it's silly to assume that anyone with that amount of cash has serious problems. Sure, he might suffer depressions, feel lonely, blah blah blah. Then go see a psychologist or something. It's not like you can't afford it. There are countless people suffering even worse depressions or mental illnesses who can't afford to see a doctor. So just get yourself together. Infinite amounts of time and money and the dude doesn't know what to do.

You know, seriously. I wanted to stop here, but now that I think of it: He can do games without the need for good sales. Money doesn't matter anymore! It's a dream come true for every passionate video game developer in this world. He can do whatever the fuck he likes and doesn't even need to care about critics or sales. Instead, he chooses to whine on twitter. I'm sorry, but I can't feel sorry for such a person even in the slightest way thinkable. I guess he ain't no passionate developer after all. Just some dude who had luck with the right idea at the right time.

Just imagine what Kojima could do with such a shitload of money! Or Yu Suzuki! Or so many other designers who struggle every day to squeeze enough money for their visions out of a publisher. And then this guy comes around and says he has so many problems, blah blah. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. So I shall stop now.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.