By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review Thread - MC: 93/ GR: 91.59%

Tagged games:

Angelv577 said:
To be honest, I thought it was going to be impossible for a current gen game to score at least 95 this gen. I am glad to be wrong.

Technically MGS V is cross-gen.

Around the Network
rccsetzer said:
Angelv577 said:
To be honest, I thought it was going to be impossible for a current gen game to score at least 95 this gen. I am glad to be wrong.

Which IMO makes it even more impressive because the game was held back by last gen consoles not to mention that reviewers nowadays are hard to impressed.

MGSV lesa than 94 was impossible since beggining.

Here's hoping the score doesn't go down from there. Here's someone who's happy about the scores too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o2zAaxgIAo

Angelv577 said:
rccsetzer said:

Which IMO makes it even more impressive because the game was held back by last gen consoles not to mention that reviewers nowadays are hard to impressed.

That's not true, all the big prestigious franchises (i.e not new IPs) have gotten very high reviews this year: Bloodborne (spiritual succesor), TW3 and MGS5.

They're hard to impress when it comes to games like 2D platformers, but they lose all critical thought when they're reviewing prestigious open world games. If a 2D or 3D platformer ever shipped with as many bugs and glitches as Skyrim it would be sitting at a 50-60% meta. Skyrim is GOTY though. ;)

I'm sure Uncharted 4, Zelda U and Fallout 4 will easily get over 90% as well. Even a big turd like Skyward Sword got a ridiculously high score.

I can't be arsed to go over all the flaws of Skyward Sword, so I'll just post this review:

93% my ass.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Kyuu said:

Well it's not like this is Kojima's first game to score high anyway.. it's scoring in line with every other mainline Metal Gear did. Why can't it just be the reviewers genuinely liking the game?

It most likely is.

There is certainly a easier path to big franchises to get higher scores, that's a fact, but that doesn't make great games any less deserving of them if they are from those big franchises.

We are seeing hardly anything else than praise to the game, and all that was made public was also really well accepted.

The game can definitely stand on it's own, as any other MGS game so far.

Hope we don't get to see Uncharted 4 scores being recepted like this, the game seems amazingly done, and wouldn't be fair to put ND prestige as the cause of the success (if it does happen, I'm sure it'll from what I saw) aside from the game being actually that great.

The problem with "professional" review sites is that big companies buy up all the ad-space from review sites the day the embargo ends. Those review sites depend on that money and thus they can't be considered a neutral source. As I have a Master Degree in History I know a thing or two about critical thinking and how one should handle sources. Sources like review sites is something we'd throw in the garbage bin when it comes to quality of a game.

This may all sound like a conspiracy theory to you, but it's very much reality:

http://www.craveonline.com/culture/826607-santa-monica-dev-threatens-pull-ads-low-order-1886-reviews

This doesn't mean every review is worthless, but it does put a HUGE asterisk behind them. Treat with causion.

Snake's response:

Kyuu said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

He's not on Kojima's level in terms of hype and prestige.  Especially how bad everyone feels for him at the moment with the konami/kojima thing going on.

Well it's not like this is Kojima's first game to score high anyway.. it's scoring in line with every other mainline Metal Gear did. Why can't it just be the reviewers genuinely liking the game?

It might be, but im sticking to what I said and the way I view it though. I'm just saying,good or bad, this game would never get a low rating due to what I all ready stated

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

BraLoD said:

Yes, there as I said before, the certainly is cases were games have their actual score affected.
(Sure wasn't the case with The Order though, even as SM said that, it was because they felt more backslash than they thought it deserved, but that was after the scores came, and we saw the results).

But I don't like when actual good games get this treatment from people because they are from big and/or famous franchises.
While there is times it may happen, this sure doesn't seem like one of those in any way.

MGS 5 seems to be more than delivering.

I will only be able to give you an honest answer when I played the game myself.

MGS1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I hated MGS4 despite every critic praising it. If I want to watch a convoluted TV show I'll watch a good one instead (I Claudius, watch it now!). Just my opinion though, if you liked MGS4 that's just fine.

Samus Aran said:
BraLoD said:

Yes, there as I said before, the certainly is cases were games have their actual score affected.
(Sure wasn't the case with The Order though, even as SM said that, it was because they felt more backslash than they thought it deserved, but that was after the scores came, and we saw the results).

But I don't like when actual good games get this treatment from people because they are from big and/or famous franchises.
While there is times it may happen, this sure doesn't seem like one of those in any way.

MGS 5 seems to be more than delivering.

I will only be able to give you an honest answer when I played the game myself.

MGS1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I hated MGS4 despite every critic praising it. If I want to watch a convoluted TV show I'll watch a good one instead (I Claudius, watch it now!). Just my opinion though, if you liked MGS4 that's just fine.

I hated MG4 too but this one relies heavily on the gameplay for what I´ve seen and read, and tells the story more with actions than with words, wich is esential for me in order to get it.  Even if this game is overrated (i don´t know) it looks like a real good game anyways (doesn´t really matter if deserves or not its score), this doesn´t look like a GTAIV scenario where a mediocre game had like 15 points more than deserved.