By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hatred for Microsoft skewing vision of good gaming console

2008ProchargedGT said:
Tachikoma said:
If by greedy you mean "Just do what they do for money" I've got some news for you...

No I get that, I feel they are cashing in now while they can and are not going to support the XBox brand in the near future. I'm torn because I think the X1 is a great console but I can't support a business like MS...

Find it strange, I was under the impression that people don't feel MS is like that anymore with their free Win10/Free BC/lot of updates and just created the cheapest collection(compare it to Nintendo's Eshop N64 games as an example). Under Greedy I would understand making a lot of money in their game division and try to get more money (like increasing the price to of Gold to 80$ or something). Sure they can have third party deals but people tend to not like them if they do it...but that is not only a Ms problem that is the same for Nintendo when they invest in a third party exclusive like Bayonetta 2 for example.

Around the Network

Aaaaaaaaawwww :( I thought this was gonna be about the game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

MS has always been one of the worst companies with monopolistic visions of world domination. It's why not allowing them to be dominant in consoles was so important. Though less important now as consoles aren't the thing any more. Mobile is really where the fight is, and it seems they aren't in any position to dominate there either. Though Apple is almost as bad, they failed to achieve smartphone phone dominance for very long, and tablets have evened out somewhat. APple is still biggest in tablet by a long way, but they don't have the sort of dominance of that market as WIndows does for the PC market.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

MS have always had a soft spot for gamers, ever since they started releasing great games during the 90's, they have also been known for the quality of their productions.
Microsoft biggest weakness is public perception, they are a huge company and both consumers and media like to strike at the strongest, you become a bigger target this way.

I didn't like the original Xbox at all but the 360 was a great console, especially the online strides they made and the controller was fantastic as well. The One is less of a big deal for me, it's sort of nondescript and I really, really can't stand the controller.

Microsoft are okay in my book though, I kinda have to give them second chances since I do all my gaming on PC. Major kudos for realizing they had to remove the biggest flaws from Windows 8.1, and Windows phones are actually superior to Android and iOS in my humble opinion.

I have nothing against MS, nothing more that Sony or Nintendo at any rate.

Ignoring the actual question (for now at least), I think some people are oversimplifying things by stating that all companies are out there to make money. Yes, it's true, but to me it would seem that some companies respect their customers more than others. In fact, I'm pretty sure some companies even think they can make the most money by respecting their customers.

Just wanted to point that out. Not going to point fingers here at any company, I'm not prepared right now and it all seems kind of complicated at the moment.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

That thread title, completely gave me the idea you were gonna talk about people hating on Micro and not giving the Bone a chance.

Not really what your OP is actually about.

I think the thread title should be "My hatred for Microsoft..."

But I'm not the only one who feels this way. I believe it's part of the reason X1 sales are tanking even tho its a great system. Can we try to discuss this open mindedly please.

2008ProchargedGT said:
MoHasanie said:
Every company is trying to make money off you even Sony...

This isn't about Sony, Nintendo, or even Sega. It's about how I feel MS as a company is keeping  potential buyers from their products due to IMO bad business practices for their overall company not just the XBox div

Oh i get what your saying now. Less people will get the XO because games can be found on PC. Tbh i hope it ends soon.

2008ProchargedGT said:

Thoughts? am i just a Sony fanboy on a rant, or are MS really trying to dick us as gamers?

I've always felt like MS is fairly anti-consumer, so despite the lack of punctuation in your posts I believe I get where you're coming from. I also believe they're trying to shift back to PC. I wouldn't dwell to long on it, just find a platform you like and busy yourself.

2008ProchargedGT said:

No I get that, I feel they are cashing in now while they can and are not going to support the XBox brand in the near future. I'm torn because I think the X1 is a great console but I can't support a business like MS...

I'll probably be getting an XB1 this christmas but I have had a feeling that this may happen for a while now. Getting all the headlines and marketing the hell out of it for one big push, and then if it doesn't get them where they want they'll just give up/slow down considerably. Will be interesting to see their output next year and beyond, if i'm wrong some faith will be restored.

GamechaserBE said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

Find it strange, I was under the impression that people don't feel MS is like that anymore with their free Win10/Free BC/lot of updates and just created the cheapest collection(compare it to Nintendo's Eshop N64 games as an example). Under Greedy I would understand making a lot of money in their game division and try to get more money (like increasing the price to of Gold to 80$ or something). Sure they can have third party deals but people tend to not like them if they do it...but that is not only a Ms problem that is the same for Nintendo when they invest in a third party exclusive like Bayonetta 2 for example.

I don't get it either... so Microsoft ain't allowed to offer games to their Windows-customers? They have to put all their gaming support into home consoles and have to let die their other (profitable) platforms? Are console gamers entitled to favourable treatment?

So it is great when Nintendo wants to merge their home console and handheld platforms, it is great when Sony offers cross-buy, cross-play and cross-save between home consoles and handhelds... but when Microsoft wants to bring Xbox and Windows closer together it is pure evil!

And the Windows-monopol is a thing of the past. OS X and Linux have gained marketshare over the years and additional options like iOS, Android and chromebooks emerged. Tablets are just another PC form factor, added to mainframes, desktops, laptops, notebooks and netbooks. In 2008 Windows had a marketshare of 95%, now it is 80% and falling. Put smartphones in the mix (these mini-computers get more powerful and versatile each year, they can be connected to displays and keyboards), and the marketshare of Windows has fallen from 95% to a healthy competition of under 50% marketshare: http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop+mobile+tablet-os-ww-monthly-200807-201508