By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hatred for Microsoft skewing vision of good gaming console

Conina said:
asqarkabab said:
I hate them because they were the first to make online play chargeble

It was one of the first online services on consoles good enough to get millions of users to pay for. Supply and demand... ;)

Yeah and then they closed down the servers you paid for 

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
Jazz2K said:

I don't know who exactly did it first but I know Sega on the Dreamcast made you pay monthly for their service SegaNet and that was before Xbox. These info are all over the internet.

No, this is not correct. In general online gaming was without charge. I know that for sure because i played games online on the DC. Nevertheless, it wasn't MS who charged for online gaming first. A game called Everquest did that even before Xbox1 . ;)

If you used seganet to play DC games online you could indeed pay for free but you needed a Sega net subscription.

Had to look it up again but they even paid your DC console price back if you atleast were subbed for 18 months:

As was previously reported by GameSpot News, to encourage consumers to give SegaNet a try, the price of the Dreamcast console has been dropped to US$149. Those who sign up for 18 months of SegaNet service at $21.95 per month will receive a rebate for the entire $149 Dreamcast purchase price and a free Dreamcast keyboard. Those who have purchased a Dreamcast console previously will be awarded with 50 free hours on SegaNet to try out the service.

After the DC was dead it depends on the game like phantasy star online where you also had to pay monthly to play it online.

There are generally speaking two ways how companies compete in consumer sector:

a) Companies try to create better value offering for the consumers

b) Companies try to limit, downplay and outright force compeitition out from business

Typically it is the smaller companies and underdogs that can only try to smart out their competition with good offering. The bigger the companies are, the more eager they become for resorting to monopolism, and then telling consumers what they "need". I think MS considered that it was game over for Sony, when current gen launched and hence they were really complacent. Things went differently, and this has forced MS to underdog position and they actually are trying to create value for consumers with X1: lower price, many exclusives coming etc. However, as you said, Windows 10 and "return of PC gaming" is in my view clearly MS plan to bring gaming on monopolistic OS platform, which would make life easy for them. Eliminate consoles after which could control the entire hardcore gaming scene.I wish Sony and Nintendo good luck for not letting this happen.

Only time will tell how this turns out.

Microsoft is the greediest first party corporation of them all in gaming. They have to pander to people because they desperate to beat Sony so they are under control. They don't like Sony having market dominance in anything revolving around multimedia because it's a threat to their outside dominance.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft is the greediest first party corporation of them all in gaming. They have to pander to people because they desperate to beat Sony so they are under control. They don't like Sony having market dominance in anything revolving around multimedia because it's a threat to their outside dominance.

I like pandering. That allowed me to get a PS3 at a fraction of the launch price with Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Pandering is why I also have a great digital collection on my Vita.

Sony isnt pandering with PS4 and thats why Im happy with my X1 right now. I got the money for PS4, but Sony is too reliant on 3rd party at the moment. So I can wait until Sony really puts out something notable.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
2008ProchargedGT said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think the thread title should be "My hatred for Microsoft..."

But I'm not the only one who feels this way. I believe it's part of the reason X1 sales are tanking even tho its a great system. Can we try to discuss this open mindedly please.

Well X1 sales arent tanking, PS4 is just doing really well. Assuming MS stays competive I think X1 can move over 50 million units. Thats a great following for something viewed as a failure.

You can share feelings with others and still be wrong. For example, a lot of people are anti semetic but I personally dont share those feelings.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

But I'm not the only one who feels this way. I believe it's part of the reason X1 sales are tanking even tho its a great system. Can we try to discuss this open mindedly please.

Well X1 sales arent tanking, PS4 is just doing really well. Assuming MS stays competive I think X1 can move over 50 million units. Thats a great following for something viewed as a failure.

You can share feelings with others and still be wrong. For example, a lot of people are anti semetic but I personally dont share those feelings.

86 plus down to 50 mil lifetime is not tanking?

Ruler said:
Conina said:
asqarkabab said:
I hate them because they were the first to make online play chargeble

It was one of the first online services on consoles good enough to get millions of users to pay for. Supply and demand... ;)

They werent oblige to keep them up forever nor do you have to subscribe forever.

Sony has shut down servers just to encourage people to buy their new game. Thats pretty gross.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Ruler said:

They werent oblige to keep them up forever nor do you have to subscribe forever.

Sony has shut down servers just to encourage people to buy their new game. Thats pretty gross.

I think its deff at least a grey area when you start charging for it. If Sony has done this they are not immune to my displesure as well.

2008ProchargedGT said:
Mr Puggsly said:

86 plus down to 50 mil lifetime is not tanking?

No, the market is changing. I think we all anticipated less consoles being sold this gen than last gen.

PS3 was a financial disaster for Sony. It also sold significantly less than PS2. But PS3 still had a massive userbase.

3DS isnt going to sell anywhere near DS, but thats okay. It still sold really well and moved a ton of software.

Vita is a genuine tank. Sony has basically cut its losses on it. Its selling a small fraction of PSP. The failure of Vita isnt entirely Sony's fault in my opinion. The market changed.

Wii U is another platform Id consider a tank. It had no potential of achieving Wii sales. But it could have sold much better if they stuck with Wiimote thus keeping the console cheaper and more appealing. That tablet was a mistake.

X1 is doing respectable. NES and SNES sold 50-60 million units and are fondly remembered by many. X1 doesent need to achieve 360 numbers to find success.

Recently Completed