By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PlayStation Just As Iconic As Nintendo?

onionberry said:
Mummelmann said:

NO! We have to argue!

i like to argue too, but there's no point when the majority is saying "my favorite company is more iconic" lol

Yeah, I know, I'm not a big fan of Apple but I recognize their iconic role in the smart device market and the digital music revolution.

Would be hard for me to argue on any other basis than observation since I technically don't have a favorite company in the industry (unless one counts developers).

Around the Network

More people know what a playstation 2 is over a Gamecube, same with Wii U and PS4

However, you ask anyone "What's Nintendo?" they will say something along the lines of "Aren't they the people that made Mario"

Whereas you ask, what's a playstation? People are more apt to just say "a gaming console"

I think Nintendo is more universally known than Playstation.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Mr_No said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Sony's console line might be iconic, but unfortunately, Sony doesn't really capitalize and nurture older IP's, instead often replacing them, which is a shame.

Yeah, that is true. But maybe they need to look for that franchise. However, I wouldn't want for a good franchise to become stale due to excessive milking.

Well, there's milking (CoD and FIFA) and nurturing (Super Smash Bros, Ratchet and Clank, Halo)

Ryng_Tolu said:
Azuren said:

And only one of those machines is still relevant. Just because it DID sell good doesn't mean that reflects the current market. 

lol wut?

Nintendo never wins even when they win. Didnt you know that? 

Goodnightmoon said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

lol wut?

Nintendo never wins even when they win. Didnt you know that? 

I know dude, i know... 

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
In Europe PS is way more popular, but the thing is, what games people thinks of when we talk about PS in europe? They think about Call of Duty, Fifa, Final Fantasy and Grand Thef Auto, they don´t think on Sony games, but when you talk about Nintendo everyone thinks on Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, etc, because their games are way more iconic.

Saying that people in EU don't associate any first party games with Playstation is laughable, but expected from you. Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted are all heavily associated with the brand.

It is of course easier to have more iconic franchises tied to your brand whenthird parties aren't interested in releasing games for your system to provide competition.

padib said:

Here's an idea, ask the Vita how Iconic it thinks the Playstation is.

You do know that same logic can be used against Nintendo right?

celador said:
Goodnightmoon said:
In Europe PS is way more popular, but the thing is, what games people thinks of when we talk about PS in europe? They think about Call of Duty, Fifa, Final Fantasy and Grand Thef Auto, they don´t think on Sony games, but when you talk about Nintendo everyone thinks on Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, etc, because their games are way more iconic.

Saying that people in EU don't associate any first party games with Playstation is laughable, but expected from you. Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted are all heavily associated with the brand.

It is of course easier to have more iconic franchises tied to your brand whenthird parties aren't interested in releasing games for your system to provide competition.

The mainstream public don´t think on those games here when you talk about PS, at all, they think on GTA, CoD, Fifa, Assasins Creed and little more, you only have to take a look to the best selling games on PS3 and Ps4 in Europe, none of those you named are even on the top 10, while with Nintendo they think on their most iconic franchises, wich are indeed Nintendo franchises.

And please, stop atacking me everytime I have an opinion.

Blob said:
Wouldn't agree. Sony has currently beaten nintendo console wise, they're can't be any arguments about that.
But Nintendo's characters transcend gaming and consoles. People who don't play games know them. merchandise that derives from their ips is everywhere, even on non gamers.

This pretty much sums up my response.

I'm just a dude from Philly living in Ireland. 

No not yet.