By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For a Console Without the Optical Disk (But has a Card Slot)

If this is NX would you buy?

Yes 142 44.65%

No 95 29.87%

Maybe 53 16.67%

See Results 28 8.81%

Total:318

Part of the patent:

[0028] The card slot 19 of the game apparatus 1 may receive or discharge the memory card 7 such as an SD memory card. The card slot 19 can read or write data from/to the attached memory card 7. In the present example embodiment, the game apparatus 1 is able to read out the first basic program 24 or the second basic program stored in the memory card 7 through the card slot 19, and to store the read-out program in the first memory 11 or the internal HDD 13. This can realize, for example, version upgrade of the first basic program 24 and the second basic program 25. It is to be noted that the version upgrade of a program may be realized by downloading a program from the server apparatus 9 through the communication unit 15.

The example device that the patent is filed for seems to read games of an SD card like format, so it's not digital only.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Part of the patent:

[0028] The card slot 19 of the game apparatus 1 may receive or discharge the memory card 7 such as an SD memory card. The card slot 19 can read or write data from/to the attached memory card 7. In the present example embodiment, the game apparatus 1 is able to read out the first basic program 24 or the second basic program stored in the memory card 7 through the card slot 19, and to store the read-out program in the first memory 11 or the internal HDD 13. This can realize, for example, version upgrade of the first basic program 24 and the second basic program 25. It is to be noted that the version upgrade of a program may be realized by downloading a program from the server apparatus 9 through the communication unit 15.

The example device that the patent is filed for seems to read games of an SD card like format, so it's not digital only.

It's kind of ambigious, it sounds like it could just be a slot for SD Cards flat out. If it was for game cards specifically, I would think that would've been more clearly stated. That's the only thing that makes me go "hmmm". 

Please have an ethernet port. Pleasee

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Wyrdness said:
Part of the patent:

Maybe you download games from the eshop to the SD card so then its still digital.

Soundwave said:
Wyrdness said:
Part of the patent:

It's kind of ambigious, it sounds like it could just be a slot for SD Cards flat out. If it was for game cards specifically, I would think that would've been more clearly stated. That's the only thing that makes me go "hmmm". 

Except why would data on an SD card be updated by an online connection if not a game, read what's described the device is clearly reading a game off it that can also be installed.

Around the Network

Hm..I have my doubts about going all digital.That card slot has me interested though. I guess we will have to wait and see until the big reveal.

Wyrdness said:
Soundwave said:

Except why would data on an SD card be updated by an online connection if not a game, read what's described the device is clearly reading a game off it that can also be installed.

The games literally coming on SD Cards doesn't make sense either though. Maybe it is digital only, but with the caveat that if you for whatever reason have a crappy internet connection, you can maybe take an SD Card to the store and download the game onto an SD Card via like a kiosk and then take it home for install? 

That kinda seems to be what the patent is hinting at. 

I hope that it uses flash cartridges for retail games. Optical disks are too outdated now with high seek times, low read speeds and noise.

No physical retail games at all would be disappointing.

And I hope for an ethernet port.

jason1637 said:
Wyrdness said:
Part of the patent:

Maybe you download games from the eshop to the SD card so then its still digital.

The Patent doesn't say anything about downloading to the SD card only reading from it as said in that section here the device can read from it and store the data.

Wyrdness said:
jason1637 said:

The Patent doesn't say anything about downloading to the SD card only reading from it as said in that section here the device can read from it and store the data.

Ahh ok. But how hard would this make it to port 3rd party games since its not blu ray. I Hope Nintendo does not make the same mistake this gen and last gen with third parties.