By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For a Console Without the Optical Disk (But has a Card Slot)

If this is NX would you buy?

Yes 142 44.65%

No 95 29.87%

Maybe 53 16.67%

See Results 28 8.81%

Total:318

Please let this be the Fusion project, and not a digital-only system.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea... Thats what I meant when I said it has a gamepad

i edit what i wrote with saying the it might be the on the go controller if its fusion.

Neh the fig 2 is a bit odd if its a fusion controller since it seems like it needs the console in order to play the game hence the "Game Apparatus" thing. Granted it could have remote play but from fig 2, I would lean more towards it being a gamepad since it looks like it's going to be streaming from the console at all times otherwise it would have a lot of details like how it has on fig 1.

We will see next year though

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nautilus said:
I dont know... for me this dosent look like a console.It just wouldnt make sense for having no disk reader.Unless it is cartridge based, i think this might be related to QOL.

http://images.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/nintendo_qol_patent_applications_published/attachment/1/original

Thats a pic of the QOL

Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Also no BC then since how can you play wiiU games without an optical disc? (Other than Digital that is)

Maybe it's a reality check to people who think this is some "must have" feature. In the broad sense backwards compatibility with a failed console that maybe has 15 reeeeeeally must play games in its entire library is not a big priority. 

I say f*ck discs. I never really cared for them much and it's zero surprise that Nintendo would be the first to ditch them as they were the last to adopt them. 

Yea well I don't really care whether or not its optical disc or cartridges since they both do their job and flash media these days can technically have higher throughput than optical disc so its not a big deal for me

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

jason1637 said:
Nautilus said:
I dont know... for me this dosent look like a console.It just wouldnt make sense for having no disk reader.Unless it is cartridge based, i think this might be related to QOL.

http://images.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/nintendo_qol_patent_applications_published/attachment/1/original

Thats a pic of the QOL

But thats not necessaraly the only device that Nintendo its going to make for its QOL iniciative.This could be another.I dont know, Nintendo is trying to get people back to its consoles and decides to ditch physical copies?It just dosnt make sense.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Also no BC then since how can you play wiiU games without an optical disc? (Other than Digital that is)

^ yep this basically means chances of BC are near 0%.

No big deal though.

Basically imagine being able to take your 3DS games, and put them into your Wii U, whenever you pleased.

Read the full patent on GAF it seems to be able to connect to other devices like the Wii U and can play all its games even if a game on disc will play on the new platform. Its not BC in the standard sense as it was mentioned to work along side the Wii U and 3DS for a while rather then be a typical replacement.

As with all reports regarding nintendo I'll just hold judgment and wait and see what they release.

I certainly prefer physical but all three consoles have definitely been trying to ease us into digital.

Nautilus said:
jason1637 said:

Thats a pic of the QOL

But thats not necessaraly the only device that Nintendo its going to make for its QOL iniciative.This could be another.I dont know, Nintendo is trying to get people back to its consoles and decides to ditch physical copies?It just dosnt make sense.

They could use cards as a physical medium as has been speculated here ad nausem for like a year plus. 

Or it could just be digital only ... but really I don't even mind. That would mean hopefully cheaper game prices since you're effectively paying about $20 more to get a physical game from the store. 

Unless you live in a cave, most people have internet access of some kind these days. 

Nautilus said:
jason1637 said:

Thats a pic of the QOL

Yeah its really weird but they said in the pics that it could play games and i doubt people would buy this to play games if its to help them get fit etcs. Also i would hope that nintendo learned that the casual market is not there any more and are playing on iso and andriod.

Nautilus said:

QOL is not a games device though while the patented platform is, the platform here has a HDD, Gamepad and all.