By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - No 2015 Oscar Contender Has Been Better Than Mad Max: Fury Road

Does Mad Max: Fury Road have a chance at an Oscar for Best Pictures?

Yes 18 22.78%

No 15 18.99%

At least deserves a nomination 17 21.52%

It shouldn't even be nominated 16 20.25%

The Oscars are biased aga... 12 15.19%

WITNESS!!!!! 1 1.27%

Total:79
mZuzek said:
Landguy said:
As far as Mad Max goes, this version was OK. The Road Warrior was still a better film. Young people will look at this years version a lot different than the people who vote for the Oscars. Young people aren't straddled with the memories of all of the 1000's of films that older people have seen over a 40-60 year span. So, they can watch Fury Road and think that it was something special, when it was really no so much from an some older persons perspective.

Bottom line in MY opinion is that it was over hyped as to quality and will have ZERO chance to win an Oscar. It may get nominated because of the acting talent involved.

Speak for yourself.

I watched this movie with my dad, who was a Mad Max fan and watched the originals back then, and he too loved it and thought it was special. So it's not so much "young people know nothing" as much as it's you who didn't like the movie.

My dad also watched it who is a huge fan of the original and he hated the new one.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
Burek said:
I don't watch a lot of movies, but I watched Mad Max because of all the hype.
Man was I disappointed, it was basically Fast and Furious 9: After the Apocalypse. --- Two hours of car chases and freaks with makeup.
I can see it nominated for some technical Oscars, they did a great job there for sure, but any acting, directing or best picture award is out of reach, and would not be deserved at all.

I can tell you don't watch many movies. Outside of car chases, this film has almost nothing in common with fast and furious. But everyone has there own opinions I guess.

Well, I never watched any Fast and Furious movies, it's just what I call any movie that has two hours of car chases and crashes with almost no story or sense. They just keep driving, get there, decide to go back, victory! Plenty of postapocalyptic makeup and pointy spiky metal elements, with characters growling and making weird faces and noises.

I should have quit halfway through, but I kept thinking something will actually happen that is not a cliche car chase movie for the past 30 years. I was wrong. 

It's definitely one of the best action movies of all time. I think it's the best I've ever seen, actually. So it has to be, at least, nominated in the Best Movie category. I think there are two strong candidates now, Fury Road and Inside Out. I personally consider both of them masterpieces so let's see which of them wins (if any).

I can definitely see it getting a nod for visuals and make-up. A lot of blockbusters get nominated in that category. Hell, even Bad Grandpa got a nom for best make-up.

It's a good movie for sure. One of my favorites I've seen this year.

Problem with Best Picture Oscar is when Mad Max came out it was too late/too early, Oscar season is November/December in US plus, no matter how fun Mad Max was, it didn't have depth of plot to back it up.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

No. It's the most overrated movie since Avatar. People gave way too much credit to it for the practical effects and neglected to see that it was lacking in acting, writing, and character development. Also the villain was pretty bland. It was trying SO hard to be crazy that it just came off as fake to me. We get the guitar guy shoots flames. What was the purpose of that? Just to look crazy? ok.

Kingsmen, Inside Out, AoU, Ant-Man, and MI5 have done a better job from an actual filmmaking perspective and I expect Spectre, Star Wars, Hateful 8, and many others to top it by the end of this year. Maybe an effects Oscar nod is in order.

I am Iron Man

I thought Inside Out was much better.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Hell yeah Mad Max should win!

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

It's simply it's not that great of a film. It's a good blockbuster movie, nothing else.

There have been quite a few blockbusters nominated like Inception, District 9 and The Lord of the Rings (which won).

Obviously Pixels and the Fantastic Four are better.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger