By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - No 2015 Oscar Contender Has Been Better Than Mad Max: Fury Road

Does Mad Max: Fury Road have a chance at an Oscar for Best Pictures?

Yes 18 22.78%

No 15 18.99%

At least deserves a nomination 17 21.52%

It shouldn't even be nominated 16 20.25%

The Oscars are biased aga... 12 15.19%

WITNESS!!!!! 1 1.27%

Total:79
spurgeonryan said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
This is just my opinion but no remake should ever win an oscar. Lack of originality should be docked enough points to ever allow for something like that to happen.

You from Chicagoland area? Berwyn?

It was not that great to be honest. The amazing trailer pushed the sales a bit I think. It was made to be a hit and cult classic all in one. Flaming guitar man? Come on!

Grew up in NW Indiana about 20 min from the city. Svengoolie gets almost no national exposure so I thought I'd fight the good fight lol. I never saw the movie but I heard it was good. Someone told me it was a remake but apparently it wasn't. I still don't think I'd like it though because just as Robert Englund will always be Freddy, Max will always be Mel Gibson.

Around the Network

Knowing how the academy likes to snub good movies, if Mad Max turns out to be nominated for Best Picture, I'd be really surprised.

Mr_No said:
Knowing how the academy likes to snub good movies, if Mad Max turns out to be nominated for Best Picture, I'd be really surprised.

Give me some examples of those good movies you mentioned.

Lawlight said:
Mr_No said:

The Dark Knight, for instance. The Empire Strikes Back, Inception, Psycho, among some others. And these are the ones who got snubbed out of the Best Picture nomination.

One of the most overrated movies i have seen.

Around the Network
Burek said:
pikashoe said:

I can tell you don't watch many movies. Outside of car chases, this film has almost nothing in common with fast and furious. But everyone has there own opinions I guess.

Well, I never watched any Fast and Furious movies, it's just what I call any movie that has two hours of car chases and crashes with almost no story or sense. They just keep driving, get there, decide to go back, victory! Plenty of postapocalyptic makeup and pointy spiky metal elements, with characters growling and making weird faces and noises.

I should have quit halfway through, but I kept thinking something will actually happen that is not a cliche car chase movie for the past 30 years. I was wrong. 

First off don't use a film you haven't seen as a comparison. There is story and it makes perfect sense, so don't criticise something just because you don't understand it.

You completely oversimplified the film's story,themes and characters.

Why are you using its similarities to the original mad max films as criticism, it would be weird if it didn't  have those post apocalyptic elements.

What's a cliche car chase movie, I've seen thousands of films, but haven't come across that genre. This film has been applauded for going against many screen writing cliches and even had a beautiful and colourful post apocalyptic setting which is very unusual.

It just sounds like this film wasn't made for you, which is fine. Just don't start making up problems to justify why you don't like it.

For example I'm not a big fan of the godfather part 2 but I still appreciate that it doesn't actually have that many problems. 

I doubt it.

It was a great 80s movie made with 2015 budget and I enjoyed the visuals and costumes and how they just ran with the idea and never explained to the audience the strangeness and slang "Witness! Schlanger! Chrome! Mediocre!" used through out. I also liked how the stakes felt real with the use of practical effects and people actually dying in it.

All that said, the academy is a bunch of 50+ folks who generally prefer other types of films.

Mr_No said:
Lawlight said:
Mr_No said:

The Dark Knight, for instance. The Empire Strikes Back, Inception, Psycho, among some others. And these are the ones who got snubbed out of the Best Picture nomination.

The Empire Strikes Back shouldn't have won or be nominated so that's fine. Inception was nominated so that's one less off of your list. Psycho was too long ago (but was nominated for several awards) and this isn't the same academy. The Dark Knight is a great movie but has too many plot holes.

Nope, found it highly repetitive

It was watchable... it was perphaps even good.
No way was it great, or deserving of a ocsar.