By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX: Hardware Specs, Games, Third Party Support And Everything You Need To Know

I like how they invalidate themselves by using DQ11 as a foundation in their position.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

A fairly powerful handheld (Wii U++ level visuals) that can also double as a wireless home console that can wirelessly send a video signal to the TV (the reverse of the Wii U) I think would do quite well for Nintendo possibly. Add in a new type of control input as a bonus, and you have something that's fairly unique to the marketplace and well worth even $250 (especially if Nintendo is bringing big guns like Zelda NX and Mario NX to the launch window). 

Something like that may even allow for scaled down PS4/XB1 ports as *portable* titles. Think about it, 960x540 for example only requires 1/4 of the pixels a 1080P game does, Japanese devs in particular likely would support a machine like that very, very strongly.

This may be why we've already seen Square-Enix name drop NX for Dragon Quest XI.

No, a moderate upgrade on the Wii U may not be a big deal to some ... but can you put your Wii U in your coat pocket and play it on the subway? Didn't think so.

I could see a 720p screen, that runs Wii U-caliber graphics at native res, and if the dev wants to push it harder (like PS4-ish visuals) then they can drop down to 960x540 resolution. That would work well enough I think.

@Bold I wonder what the power consumption is on that thing ... 

Don't make me have too much faith in this console,I already have too much due to the most likely Metroid Prime NX D:

The article immediately assumes it's a home console... sigh... We don't even know yet. I stopped reading there.

fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

A fairly powerful handheld (Wii U++ level visuals) that can also double as a wireless home console that can wirelessly send a video signal to the TV (the reverse of the Wii U) I think would do quite well for Nintendo possibly. Add in a new type of control input as a bonus, and you have something that's fairly unique to the marketplace and well worth even $250 (especially if Nintendo is bringing big guns like Zelda NX and Mario NX to the launch window). 

Something like that may even allow for scaled down PS4/XB1 ports as *portable* titles. Think about it, 960x540 for example only requires 1/4 of the pixels a 1080P game does, Japanese devs in particular likely would support a machine like that very, very strongly.

This may be why we've already seen Square-Enix name drop NX for Dragon Quest XI.

No, a moderate upgrade on the Wii U may not be a big deal to some ... but can you put your Wii U in your coat pocket and play it on the subway? Didn't think so.

I could see a 720p screen, that runs Wii U-caliber graphics at native res, and if the dev wants to push it harder (like PS4-ish visuals) then they can drop down to 960x540 resolution. That would work well enough I think.

@Bold I wonder what the power consumption is on that thing ... 

You can actually probably get that in a 5-6 watt power envelope. AMD is launching their 14nm chip line this year, that would be available for Nintendo next year. Something like 350 GFLOPS could be achievable for next fall without too much fuss. 

Of course there could be some interesting things done with a device whereby it downclocks a certain amount on the road, but if you're at home, and you have the option of plugging it into the wall adaptor, it could upclock. That could be a design possibility too. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

You can actually probably get that in a 5-6 watt power envelope. AMD is launching their 14nm chip line this year, that would be available for Nintendo next year. Something like 350 GFLOPS could be achievable for next fall without too much fuss. 

Of course there could be some interesting things done with a device whereby it downclocks a certain amount on the road, but if you're at home, and you have the option of plugging it into the wall adaptor, it could upclock. That could be a design possibility too. 

14nm transistors from Samsung/Global Foundries is not at all comparable to Intel's 14nm transistors just so you know ... 

AMD could probably easily achieve a 70 Gflops/watt ratio on their new GPU micro-architecture with newer transistor technology from Samsung but does that mean Nintendo will employ such a design in their consoles when 28nm chip designs are the most cost effective ? 

Throttling cannot be easily applied to games since they are performance critical applications so every bit counts therefore you cannot downclock as much as you would like when gaming. You have to guarantee worse case scenario power consumption ... 

Even if Nintendo does use the latest and greatest from AMD, Imagination Technologies, or even other IHVs the form factor matched with the power envelope is not that of a handheld with reasonable battery life ...

So "everything I need to know" is semi-educated guesswork?

It makes a lot of sense for OS and hardware convergence, with the only difference being in the power of each different device. The strongest device can play all of the games that Nintendo releases, the weakest device can only play those games Nintendo releases for that device. Clearly if you price things correctly all devices can succeed.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

14nm transistors from Samsung/Global Foundries is not at all comparable to Intel's 14nm transistors just so you know ... 

AMD could probably easily achieve a 70 Gflops/watt ratio on their new GPU micro-architecture with newer transistor technology from Samsung but does that mean Nintendo will employ such a design in their consoles when 28nm chip designs are the most cost effective ? 

Throttling cannot be easily applied to games since they are performance critical applications so every bit counts therefore you cannot downclock as much as you would like when gaming. You have to guarantee worse case scenario power consumption ... 

Even if Nintendo does use the latest and greatest from AMD, Imagination Technologies, or even other IHVs the form factor matched with the power envelope is not that of a handheld with reasonable battery life ...

I think they're going to have to sit down and have a real, brutually honest discussion about that, particularily as it relates to third party support and what they want. 

I've always thought thought if you're making hardware decisions based on what makes sense for your launch year ... that's very short sighted. Is this is a product that's supposed to be viable in 2018? 2020? 2021? Or is it going to be "well we choose this hardware because it seemed nice in 2016, but I guess it was kind of not a smart move long term.". 

Then I think you need to plan accordingly. Costs scale with time, and I don't think part suppliers are so short sighted either, if you're making a huge volume order for something that's going to mean 5-6 years of orders for them, they likely will give you a break early on. 

If Apple can make/ship 10x more volume and they're already on 20nm and heavily rumored to be moving even lower than that this fall, I think it's time Nintendo kinda evoloved on this issue. You cannot be that old fashioned in this line of business. 

If your partner is saying they can give you 70 GFLOPS/watt .. use it for crying out loud. If using that tech means you can have games like Dragon Quest XI and maybe even Final Fantasy XV and RE Remake 2 and Metal Gear Solid V ... it's worth it. Such a machine would have monstrous support from Japanese devs and probably even Western devs too ... at say a 960x540 resolution a 400 GFLOP processor (6 watts) being able to play even modern engine games on the go (and through the NX concept, to be able to play them at home too) ... that really could be a game changer for Nintendo and developers. 

Soundwave said:

I think they're going to have to sit down and have a real, brutually honest discussion about that, particularily as it relates to third party support and what they want. 

I've always thought thought if you're making hardware decisions based on what makes sense for your launch year ... that's very short sighted. Is this is a product that's supposed to be viable in 2018? 2020? 2021? Or is it going to be "well we choose this hardware because it seemed nice in 2016, but I guess it was kind of not a smart move long term.". 

Then I think you need to plan accordingly. Costs scale with time, and I don't think part suppliers are so short sighted either, if you're making a huge volume order for something that's going to mean 5-6 years of orders for them, they likely will give you a break early on. 

If Apple can make/ship 10x more volume and they're already on 20nm and heavily rumored to be moving even lower than that this fall, I think it's time Nintendo kinda evoloved on this issue. You cannot be that old fashioned in this line of business. 

If your partner is saying they can give you 70 GFLOPS/watt .. use it for crying out loud. If using that tech means you can have games like Dragon Quest XI and maybe even Final Fantasy XV and RE Remake 2 and Metal Gear Solid V ... it's worth it. Such a machine would have monstrous support from Japanese devs and probably even Western devs too ... at say a 960x540 resolution a 400 GFLOP processor (6 watts) being able to play even modern engine games on the go (and through the NX concept, to be able to play them at home too) ... that really could be a game changer for Nintendo and developers. 

Thinking on the long term is nice however you want to capitalize on the present. Thinking too far ahead can have some significant impacts like Sony aggressively pushing blu-ray and cell processor technology. That costed Sony on a commercial and technical front in a negative manner. Sony was right about blu-ray technology but at the wrong time however they were dead wrong about the industry adopting the programming model for the cell processor and that had some severe impact thoughout their 7th generation. Similarily Nintendo was pushing glass-free 3D technology and look how it costed them ...

If anything making a product for the future is short sighted so if one prediction doesn't come true a console manufacturer will come to regret it making that decision ... 

@Bold That is not true with chips today. If anything cost reduction won't come for quite a while so what you put out today will likely cost the same to manufacture in 3 years time ... 

Apple can afford to advance on new transistor technology when their selling new iPhones for $600 but the same cannot be said for Nintendo and their often cost effective handheld devices ...