By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX: Hardware Specs, Games, Third Party Support And Everything You Need To Know

Wyrdness said:

In regards to your questions:

1 & 2- It's not a case of how many of them it's a question of the combined impact of the already big heavy weights across the entire user base, Smash, Pokemon, MK etc... The speculation is on NX being a software ecosystem that a group of devices use so as an example Smash across 3DS and Wii U has sold over 11m just 2m below Brawl which was on a platform that sold over 100m, under the specualtion it wouldn't matter that this is across two devices as the platform is the software platform which has a unified ecosystem not neccessarily the hardware much like Steam or IOS.

3. Third parties already are involved in this practice on Steam it won't be anything new them, they'd just need to develop one game for NX and it'd be available across all platforms using it even future hardware, again this is going by the speculation the article is pushing on NX.

4. Not sure what exactly you mean here I assume you probably didn't fully get the speculated concept of the article, fans don't need to buy both hardware they only need one and that's a new user for NX, much like IOS doesn't need every user to have both an iPhone and iPad. Hardware cannabalizing each other is an issue if the hardware isn't using the speculated unified approach.

5. Portable games are already like console games now days this isn't like 5-10 years ago otherwise the topic of a fusion like console or devices connected by a unified problem wouldn't even exist. It's because they're like console games that's become the issue for Nintendo, Sony just gave up on portable altogether for the same reason.

1 & 2.  Not sure what your point is here.  I'm asking what handheld games will make people buy a Nintendo home console in the west when they didn't buy one before.

3.  Maybe, maybe not.  Capcom and their business plan of separating IP across platforms comes to mind.

4.  What?

"The NX platform, therefore, refers to both, a handheld and a console. However, it does not refer to a hybrid. Former Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has conclusively come out and debunked that idea multiple times. The NX is not going to be a convertible system (i.e. a handheld that docks into the TV and becomes a console). However, it is going to be one brand that covers systems in different form factors- i.e., Nintendo will have an NX handheld and an NX console."

I don't know what you mean and can only assume you didn't fully get the speculated concept.  If someone is buying Fire Emblem for 3DS and Zelda for Wii U but they could then instead buy them BOTH for Wii U, they might not bother with the 3DS or vice versa.  That could potentially mean losing hardware sales.

5.  I have no idea what you're trying to say here.  Hardware sets limits on game design.  That's a fact.  Available RAM is going to determine how big your levels are, for example, or how much environmental interaction you can have.  It might not be a big deal with Nintendo games but it's still a consideration.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

1 & 2.  Not sure what your point is here.  I'm asking what handheld games will make people buy a Nintendo home console in the west when they didn't buy one before.

3.  Maybe, maybe not.  Capcom and their business plan of separating IP across platforms comes to mind.

4.  What?

"The NX platform, therefore, refers to both, a handheld and a console. However, it does not refer to a hybrid. Former Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has conclusively come out and debunked that idea multiple times. The NX is not going to be a convertible system (i.e. a handheld that docks into the TV and becomes a console). However, it is going to be one brand that covers systems in different form factors- i.e., Nintendo will have an NX handheld and an NX console."

I don't know what you mean and can only assume you didn't fully get the speculated concept.  If someone is buying Fire Emblem for 3DS and Zelda for Wii U but they could then instead buy them BOTH for Wii U, they might not bother with the 3DS or vice versa.  That could potentially mean losing hardware sales.

5.  I have no idea what you're trying to say here.  Hardware sets limits on game design.  That's a fact.  Available RAM is going to determine how big your levels are, for example, or how much environmental interaction you can have.  It might not be a big deal with Nintendo games but it's still a consideration.

You just essentially confirmed what I thought in that you don't understand what the speculation is saying:

1 & 2. They don't need to buy the console in the west because the hardware is no longer the platform under the speculation NX is so any sales from either hardware counts towards NX, NX basically is the platform and people buy the device they feel suits them more that's the whole point. The portable side of things has access to games like Kingdom Hearts, Bravely Default etc... games that have strong followings but you wouldn't get on the home console tbh, fact is 3DS got a version of DQXI but not Wii U this highlights the type of games the portable side of things will bring over.

3. Capcom also work on Steam in fact Steam has the most range of their games on it funny enough with games like RE, SF, Lost Planet, DMC etc... all being on the platform, it's nothing new to them. Steam in fact gets console exclusive games as well like SFV being PS4 only for consoles but is on PC.

4. You didn't understand what was said, the article is pointing to NX as an IOS type of platform so Nintendo only needs the person to buy one device utilizing it not both, they make money from software sales mainly so the person only buying one platform and buying all the library still benefits them heavily as the person will stil be buying Pokemon, Zelda Fire Emblem or what ever with out the other device.

5. The devices are either going to be near enough identical in hardware or the games will be able to scale in some way being a unified platform with the hardware being close enough to allow so, one device won't hold back the other as a result

To be honest that Iwata quote from above is misunderstood, he doesn't debunk anything.

He says basically there could be more than two form factors (handheld + console as there is now), but there may ultimately only be one, it just depends on what consumers tell them. People should read his entire quote not just one snippet of it. Here's the quote fully:

IWATA: Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

He doesn't say there couldn't be just one device, he basically says they're not sure at that point in time. There could be as many as 3+, but on the other hand there could be just one device.

My suspicion is while there will be multiple form factors, there will only be one primarily form factor that has the majority of sales, and I think that likely could be the portable version which is able to stream games to the TV. I think that is central to the "novelty" of the NX line ... it's a handheld that can double as a home console at the snap of a finger. 

There may be an optional mini-console/home dock type thing that runs the games on the TV at a higher resolution/better visual fidelity, since a home device can consume more electricity, but that device I suspect will be entirely optional and will be a secondary thing in terms of sales.

That's just my take on it though.

A lot of speculation there...

Tagging

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

There's a poster named Matt on NeoGaf, who apparently has a flawless track record for having inside info, but he posts very rarely and doesn't really boast about his claims.

He's cryptically said two things about NX:

- In a thread asking whether or not NX might be less powerful than the Wii U, he simply put "It's not". So it's more powerful than the Wii U according to him.

- It apparently has a screen, and the screen resolution is higher than what many people were speculating, but not as high as others would say. In the context of that thread, I take that to mean a 720p screen, since many were saying Nintendo would go with a very low res screen (480p or 540p) as that's usually been their style in the past, but it won't be an extremely high end screen (ala 1080p or something). 

Unseen 64 has said it's not aiming to compete with the PS4 on specs.

That all leads me to believe we're looking at a handheld that's more powerful than the Wii U (possibly not by a ton though) as the primary or maybe even the only SKU (though I still think there's probably two). My guesses basede on what we know right now ...

NX Portable - Main SKU, 300-350 GFLOP-ish AMD + ARM system on chip (14nm?). Better than Wii U graphics at 4-6 hour battery life, cheap but nice looking screen (720p, custom shape?). No dual screen, has some kind of new control input that changes the gameplay experience. Nintendo OS but can run Android apps that Nintendo has to approve and gets a cut of. Can stream games wirelessly to the TV, so it's "revolutionary" also for the fact that it's a portable and TV console all in one package. $250. 

NX Mini-Console - Optional device for people who are primarily play at home and want full 1080P resolution graphics and perhaps better graphics. Plays the same games as NX Portable. Same type of chip as the portable, just scaled up by 2x-4x (700 GFLOP-1.4 TFLOP depending on how far Nintendo wants to go) with more RAM. Fairly cheap to mass produce. 

Around the Network
biglittlesps said:
PS5 and Xbox Two in 2022 ? I dont think so, we will hear them around 2018 for sure with backwards support so users can upgrade to get the VR tech. Just like Wii U, NX will get 1-2 years head before PS5/XBox two but it will face same issues of no 3rd party support.

PS5 in 3 years!? No chance.

shikamaru317 said:

Some of the stuff in that article seems pretty speculative to me, the achievements part for instance, but it does all sound good. I agree that NX is likely both a new console and handheld line with a shared or partially shared software library with crossbuy capability. I agree that x86 and ARM are the only viable solutions for NX, probably ARM since x86 currently uses too much power to be used in handhelds smaller than tablets, while it should be possible to build an ARM console that at least matches Xbox One's specs for a decent price by 2016. I hope the article is right about DeNA bringing Nintendo Network up to speed with PSN and XBL, with achievements and other modern online features, though I'm not so sure it'll happen. That July 2016 release sounds too good to be true imo, didn't Nintendo say they wouldn't unveil NX until E3 2016? Would they really release a console just a month after it's unveiled? The only way I could see a July 2016 launch is if Nintendo unveils it at their own event in early 2016.

No, they said it will unveil NX in 2016.

Soundwave said:

There's a poster named Matt on NeoGaf, who apparently has a flawless track record for having inside info, but he posts very rarely and doesn't really boast about his claims.

- In a thread asking whether or not NX might be less powerful than the Wii U, he simply put "It's not". So it's more powerful than the Wii U according to him.

- It apparently has a screen, and the screen resolution is higher than what many people were speculating, but not as high as others would say. In the context of that thread, I take that to mean a 720p screen, since many were saying Nintendo would go with a very low res screen (480p or 540p) as that's usually been their style in the past, but it won't be an extremely high end screen (ala 1080p or something). 

That all leads me to believe we're looking at a handheld that's more powerful than the Wii U (possibly not by a ton though) as the primary or maybe even the only SKU (though I still think there's probably two). My guesses basede on what we know right now ...

NX Portable - Main SKU, 300-350 GFLOP-ish AMD + ARM system on chip (14nm?). Better than Wii U graphics at 4-6 hour battery life, cheap but nice looking screen (720p, custom shape?). No dual screen, has some kind of new control input that changes the gameplay experience. Nintendo OS but can run Android apps that Nintendo has to approve and gets a cut of. Can stream games wirelessly to the TV, so it's "revolutionary" also for the fact that it's a portable and TV console all in one package. $250. 

NX Mini-Console - Optional device for people who are primarily play at home and want full 1080P resolution graphics and perhaps better graphics. Plays the same games as NX Portable. Same type of chip as the portable, just scaled up by 2x-4x (700 GFLOP-1.4 TFLOP depending on how far Nintendo wants to go) with more RAM. Fairly cheap to mass produce. 

Most people are saying 540p or 720p, I didn't see one person that expecting 1080p resolution.

Soundwave said:

I'm not an analyst, but I could also say the same two statements that "NeoGaf Matt" said by using common sense:

1-If NX replaces WiiU it has to be more powerful to make it attractive to Wii U owners. Who would make a console that's weaker than the console it is replacing? And who will buy such a thing?

2-720p is the best middle of the ground solution for Nintendo. As you said on another thread, HD screens probably cost the same or are even cheaper than lower resolution screens just because the market has moved forward and there's little demand for sub-HD screens but a lot of demand for HD ones. Also, you need lower spec'd hardware to run games at 720p than at 1080p. Therefore, 720p is the best solution for Nintendo.

Note: The interesting part of what you posted is that he said "screen", not "screens", and that means no DS/3DS compatibility. Just saying.

I won't go into a debate with you on specs, because it's all speculation, or what kind of console or consoles NX ends up been. I'll only say that there's no way in hell that Nintendo launches a portable console at $250, at least not if the 20 million units in its first year is true.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Soundwave said:

I don't remember Unseen 64 ever being too reliable outside of cancelled games. 

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---