By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX: Hardware Specs, Games, Third Party Support And Everything You Need To Know

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

There's a poster named Matt on NeoGaf, who apparently has a flawless track record for having inside info, but he posts very rarely and doesn't really boast about his claims.

He's cryptically said two things about NX:

- In a thread asking whether or not NX might be less powerful than the Wii U, he simply put "It's not". So it's more powerful than the Wii U according to him.

- It apparently has a screen, and the screen resolution is higher than what many people were speculating, but not as high as others would say. In the context of that thread, I take that to mean a 720p screen, since many were saying Nintendo would go with a very low res screen (480p or 540p) as that's usually been their style in the past, but it won't be an extremely high end screen (ala 1080p or something). 

Unseen 64 has said it's not aiming to compete with the PS4 on specs.

That all leads me to believe we're looking at a handheld that's more powerful than the Wii U (possibly not by a ton though) as the primary or maybe even the only SKU (though I still think there's probably two). My guesses basede on what we know right now ...

NX Portable - Main SKU, 300-350 GFLOP-ish AMD + ARM system on chip (14nm?). Better than Wii U graphics at 4-6 hour battery life, cheap but nice looking screen (720p, custom shape?). No dual screen, has some kind of new control input that changes the gameplay experience. Nintendo OS but can run Android apps that Nintendo has to approve and gets a cut of. Can stream games wirelessly to the TV, so it's "revolutionary" also for the fact that it's a portable and TV console all in one package. $250. 

NX Mini-Console - Optional device for people who are primarily play at home and want full 1080P resolution graphics and perhaps better graphics. Plays the same games as NX Portable. Same type of chip as the portable, just scaled up by 2x-4x (700 GFLOP-1.4 TFLOP depending on how far Nintendo wants to go) with more RAM. Fairly cheap to mass produce. 

I'm not an analyst, but I could also say the same two statements that "NeoGaf Matt" said by using common sense:

1-If NX replaces WiiU it has to be more powerful to make it attractive to Wii U owners. Who would make a console that's weaker than the console it is replacing? And who will buy such a thing?

2-720p is the best middle of the ground solution for Nintendo. As you said on another thread, HD screens probably cost the same or are even cheaper than lower resolution screens just because the market has moved forward and there's little demand for sub-HD screens but a lot of demand for HD ones. Also, you need lower spec'd hardware to run games at 720p than at 1080p. Therefore, 720p is the best solution for Nintendo.

Note: The interesting part of what you posted is that he said "screen", not "screens", and that means no DS/3DS compatibility. Just saying.

I won't go into a debate with you on specs, because it's all speculation, or what kind of console or consoles NX ends up been. I'll only say that there's no way in hell that Nintendo launches a portable console at $250, at least not if the 20 million units in its first year is true.

In case that @Soundwave mentioned, itins simple portable, its something between home and handheld console, home and handheld in one device, portable that can stream games wirelessly to the TV, that definitely would worth around $250 price point.

A handheld that connects to the TV to play games on it is not a home console. Otherwise, the PSP, which you could connect to the TV with a simple components cable, could also be called a home console... and it wasn't.

And the device you both mention is maninly a handheld console, so its capabilities (like battery life) and price will be judged accordingly. At then, the $250 price point will make it fail like it did with the 3DS.

Also, both you and Soundwave don't remember or ignore that not so long ago Nintendo said (unfortunately, I could not find a link to the exact statement) that while in Japan the handheld market is still viable unlike the home consoles market that has shrunk a lot, in the west the situation is the complete opposite and is very home console orientated. Therefore, the most logical approach would be to only launch the NX handheld in Japan and the NX home console in the west, as that's what the market demands.

Will Nintendo do it? Of course not! It's ridiculous! It's almost as ridiculous as to think that Nintendo will launch a device to work as a portable and home console, but gives a gimped experience to one or both group of users: handheld gamers could get an overpowered (to get higher than Wii U level of graphics) machine that as a result has a low battery life or home console gamers could end with a weak machine (because it will have improved graphics compared to the 3DS, but they will still be far, far away from the competition).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Miyamotoo said:

-I think with NX Nintendo is aiming new Wii not Wii U, they again aiming for afordible console with mass apeling things in Wii U failed.

-Handheld/Console thing is possible in reasonable price point, Steamboy have price point of $299 and with that price they probably have very good profit. Nintendo can easily make little weaker hardware that can stream games wirelessly to the TV with smaller profit or without profit at around $250 price point.

-Steamboy with Jaguar cpu will play PC games in 720p, so similar or weaker cpu could easily handle 3rd party PS4 games in 720p or smaller resolution. SteamBoy isnt incredibly expensive we dont know what battery have, but Nintendo device will be allmost certan be cheaper than $300. Gaming laptops have very big screens and very strong hardware with high resolutions, so you can't expect strong battery life.

-SteamBoy will play PC games in 720p, so easily could play PS4 3rd party games in 720p, we all know that console game requires much less power than PC games. That leads us to that Nintendo handheld/console device with little weaker cpecs than SteamBoy could easily play PS4 ports (minus some effects) in 720p or lower resolution.

Yeah old pc games maybe. Do you really think the steamboy will run 8thgen games like witcher 3 on 720p low? Will never happen.

Check this out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFwYR4Iywo

And that thing is 95W + 130€ pricepoint. And the performance isnt even good, it need a fence, it will get hot.

Even my Ultrabook will get hot by playing older pc games.

The only thing that will work is something like the intel core M. It need no fence, has 3,5 watt, wont get that hot. But the performance is even worse as wii u and the chips are still expensive. 

Soundwave said:

There's a poster named Matt on NeoGaf, who apparently has a flawless track record for having inside info, but he posts very rarely and doesn't really boast about his claims.

- In a thread asking whether or not NX might be less powerful than the Wii U, he simply put "It's not". So it's more powerful than the Wii U according to him.

- It apparently has a screen, and the screen resolution is higher than what many people were speculating, but not as high as others would say. In the context of that thread, I take that to mean a 720p screen, since many were saying Nintendo would go with a very low res screen (480p or 540p) as that's usually been their style in the past, but it won't be an extremely high end screen (ala 1080p or something). 

That all leads me to believe we're looking at a handheld that's more powerful than the Wii U (possibly not by a ton though) as the primary or maybe even the only SKU (though I still think there's probably two). My guesses basede on what we know right now ...

NX Portable - Main SKU, 300-350 GFLOP-ish AMD + ARM system on chip (14nm?). Better than Wii U graphics at 4-6 hour battery life, cheap but nice looking screen (720p, custom shape?). No dual screen, has some kind of new control input that changes the gameplay experience. Nintendo OS but can run Android apps that Nintendo has to approve and gets a cut of. Can stream games wirelessly to the TV, so it's "revolutionary" also for the fact that it's a portable and TV console all in one package. $250. 

NX Mini-Console - Optional device for people who are primarily play at home and want full 1080P resolution graphics and perhaps better graphics. Plays the same games as NX Portable. Same type of chip as the portable, just scaled up by 2x-4x (700 GFLOP-1.4 TFLOP depending on how far Nintendo wants to go) with more RAM. Fairly cheap to mass produce. 

Where's the NX Bowser?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Podings said:
So "everything I need to know" is semi-educated guesswork?

This

That was a great article!
Like i didnt know all of those hardware options.

But its really good to see gamers and the media getting hype for the NX (sorry Wii U, all U can do is please the Wii U users, and sell like 20-30% of what the PS4 is selling)

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

I'm not an analyst, but I could also say the same two statements that "NeoGaf Matt" said by using common sense:

1-If NX replaces WiiU it has to be more powerful to make it attractive to Wii U owners. Who would make a console that's weaker than the console it is replacing? And who will buy such a thing?

2-720p is the best middle of the ground solution for Nintendo. As you said on another thread, HD screens probably cost the same or are even cheaper than lower resolution screens just because the market has moved forward and there's little demand for sub-HD screens but a lot of demand for HD ones. Also, you need lower spec'd hardware to run games at 720p than at 1080p. Therefore, 720p is the best solution for Nintendo.

Note: The interesting part of what you posted is that he said "screen", not "screens", and that means no DS/3DS compatibility. Just saying.

I won't go into a debate with you on specs, because it's all speculation, or what kind of console or consoles NX ends up been. I'll only say that there's no way in hell that Nintendo launches a portable console at $250, at least not if the 20 million units in its first year is true.

In case that @Soundwave mentioned, itins simple portable, its something between home and handheld console, home and handheld in one device, portable that can stream games wirelessly to the TV, that definitely would worth around $250 price point.

A handheld that connects to the TV to play games on it is not a home console. Otherwise, the PSP, which you could connect to the TV with a simple components cable, could also be called a home console... and it wasn't.

And the device you both mention is maninly a handheld console, so its capabilities (like battery life) and price will be judged accordingly. At then, the $250 price point will make it fail like it did with the 3DS.

Also, both you and Soundwave don't remember or ignore that not so long ago Nintendo said (unfortunately, I could not find a link to the exact statement) that while in Japan the handheld market is still viable unlike the home consoles market that has shrunk a lot, in the west the situation is the complete opposite and is very home console orientated. Therefore, the most logical approach would be to only launch the NX handheld in Japan and the NX home console in the west, as that's what the market demands.

Will Nintendo do it? Of course not! It's ridiculous! It's almost as ridiculous as to think that Nintendo will launch a device to work as a portable and home console, but gives a gimped experience to one or both group of users: handheld gamers could get an overpowered (to get higher than Wii U level of graphics) machine that as a result has a low battery life or home console gamers could end with a weak machine (because it will have improved graphics compared to the 3DS, but they will still be far, far away from the competition).

PSP could connect to TV and played game only on small part of TV and game looked pretty bad. NX could basicly do what Wii U doing, 720p on TV and 720p on device itself.

Like I wrote, that wouldn't be just handheld, handheld that can act like home console, so you really can't compare that with 3DS and 3DS price point.

Define home console, whats a main point of home console!? Playing games on your TV and staying at home, this will be some sort of mobile home console or if you like handheld that acts like home console.

That is probably main reason why Nintendo will be probably do this, because in Japan people can use this device like classic handheld and at West like clasisic home console, this is a device for handheld and home console users, it will targeting both in same time.

Like Soundwave mentioned, maybe there will be some optional device, dock or some sort of addon for 1080p and reacher graphic.

JNK said:

Miyamotoo said:

-I think with NX Nintendo is aiming new Wii not Wii U, they again aiming for afordible console with mass apeling things in Wii U failed.

-Handheld/Console thing is possible in reasonable price point, Steamboy have price point of $299 and with that price they probably have very good profit. Nintendo can easily make little weaker hardware that can stream games wirelessly to the TV with smaller profit or without profit at around $250 price point.

-Steamboy with Jaguar cpu will play PC games in 720p, so similar or weaker cpu could easily handle 3rd party PS4 games in 720p or smaller resolution. SteamBoy isnt incredibly expensive we dont know what battery have, but Nintendo device will be allmost certan be cheaper than $300. Gaming laptops have very big screens and very strong hardware with high resolutions, so you can't expect strong battery life.

-SteamBoy will play PC games in 720p, so easily could play PS4 3rd party games in 720p, we all know that console game requires much less power than PC games. That leads us to that Nintendo handheld/console device with little weaker cpecs than SteamBoy could easily play PS4 ports (minus some effects) in 720p or lower resolution.

Yeah old pc games maybe. Do you really think the steamboy will run 8thgen games like witcher 3 on 720p low? Will never happen.

Check this out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFwYR4Iywo

And that thing is 95W + 130€ pricepoint. And the performance isnt even good, it need a fence, it will get hot.

Even my Ultrabook will get hot by playing older pc games.

The only thing that will work is something like the intel core M. It need no fence, has 3,5 watt, wont get that hot. But the performance is even worse as wii u and the chips are still expensive. 

I think Steam Boy could play almost any PC game in 720p, depending of game itself it will be low, mid or high settings, but in time it will be weak, beacuse it will play PC games, not console games.

And, like I wrote, we all know that games made for consoles requires much weaker hardware specs than PC games.

"One of the most important things to note about the NX is that it’s not a gaming platform in the traditional sense of the word. Rather, NX is the platform on which all of Nintendo’s future games will run, regardless of the hardware used to run them."

http://bgr.com/2015/08/18/nintendo-nx/

So, similar architecture between console and handhelds plus I'm assuming eShop legacy ownership of games.  Developers will like the first and the second will help Nintendo's digital sales.  I've heard very little in terms of hardware and think that we won't see NX compatabilty until 2017 at the earliest.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

This article's constant mischaracterizations of Nintendo's past hardware, combined with it confusion rampant speculation for things they "know", has made this a difficult read. The former is especially disappointing since without it this would at least be fun. So I need to get this of my chest now:

The specs of Nintendo's consoles have had very little to do with its success. The Wii did not "make them a non-factor in the industry's larger ecosystem", it WAS a part of the industry's larger ecosystem. The DS WAS the larger ecosystem of handhelds, and the Wii was by far the biggest seller in game consoles for most of its lifespan.

The Wii U's specs were not the obstacle for third parties either, lest everyone somehow forget that the vast majority of major releases since the Wii U came out have been cross-generational so far. The Wii U has missed out on LOADS of games being released for 360 and PS3 that it could have easily handled, and this had nothing to do with specs

3DS, likewise, is not exactly underpowered in a portable ecosystem that favors low spec games, and the Vita has certainly not been helped by its far superior specs in that regard.

And let's also not forget the failure that was the Gamecube, a system that was more than capable of handling anything the PS2 threw at it.

Nintendo's issues cannot be simplified to something as basic as "specs". If anything, Wii and DS should prove that specs are a non-factor when it comes to mass market success. What matters is price, branding, marketing, and the yes, the "gimmick".

Wii and DS were accompanied by great marketing and innovative software that caught the interest of the public, and built on that. Wii launched with Wii Sports for the masses and major Nintendo releases for the gamer crowd. The massive success of the DS was built on the popularity of Nintendogs and various Nintendo franchises that catered to all manner of gamer from grandma to a NeoGaf forum-goer (Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros)

The Wii U's biggest problem is that it was designed to appeal to every kind of gamer, and ended up appealing to no one. The game pad is a poorly defined gimmick that even Nintendo has been struggling to figure out what to do with. It's too complicated for the mass market, which latched onto the Wiimote due to its simplicity, and it offered no real benefits for the hardcore gamer, who are perfectly happy with controllers as they are now. The Gamepad's cost out weighed the benefits it provided (easier access to game menus, off-TV play, touchscreen interface and game play). This resulted in the Wii U not only being underspecced, but also OVER PRICED, with a gimmick that appealed to no one.

3DS is, frankly, doing fine, but stumbled horribly out of the gate for a similar reason: over-priced at release, for a gimmick NO ONE CARED ABOUT.

Of course, even this isn't the whole story. There's Nintendo's inability to attract gamers who would buy third party software, and Nintendo gamer's general refusal to buy third party software (with some exceptions of course) which is a problem that's existed at least since the Gamecube, if not N64. This, again, had nothing to do with specs, and while the Wii's specs may have exacerbated the problem somewhat, they were not the cause. In fact, the Wii actually had very healthy third party support compared to Gamecube and Wii U. Unfortunately, the great third party games were ignored by most, and the rest were games that gamers like us (and the guy who wrote this article) don't care about or tend to acknowledge whenever they talk about the industry's "larger ecosystem".

Alright, rant over.

nuckles87 said:

This article's constant mischaracterizations of Nintendo's past hardware, combined with it confusion rampant speculation for things they "know", has made this a difficult read. The former is especially disappointing since without it this would at least be fun. So I need to get this of my chest now:

The specs of Nintendo's consoles have had very little to do with its success. The Wii did not "make them a non-factor in the industry's larger ecosystem", it WAS a part of the industry's larger ecosystem. The DS WAS the larger ecosystem of handhelds, and the Wii was by far the biggest seller in game consoles for most of its lifespan.

The Wii U's specs were not the obstacle for third parties either, lest everyone somehow forget that the vast majority of major releases since the Wii U came out have been cross-generational so far. The Wii U has missed out on LOADS of games being released for 360 and PS3 that it could have easily handled, and this had nothing to do with specs

3DS, likewise, is not exactly underpowered in a portable ecosystem that favors low spec games, and the Vita has certainly not been helped by its far superior specs in that regard.

And let's also not forget the failure that was the Gamecube, a system that was more than capable of handling anything the PS2 threw at it.

Nintendo's issues cannot be simplified to something as basic as "specs". If anything, Wii and DS should prove that specs are a non-factor when it comes to mass market success. What matters is price, branding, marketing, and the yes, the "gimmick".

Wii and DS were accompanied by great marketing and innovative software that caught the interest of the public, and built on that. Wii launched with Wii Sports for the masses and major Nintendo releases for the gamer crowd. The massive success of the DS was built on the popularity of Nintendogs and various Nintendo franchises that catered to all manner of gamer from grandma to a NeoGaf forum-goer (Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros)

The Wii U's biggest problem is that it was designed to appeal to every kind of gamer, and ended up appealing to no one. The game pad is a poorly defined gimmick that even Nintendo has been struggling to figure out what to do with. It's too complicated for the mass market, which latched onto the Wiimote due to its simplicity, and it offered no real benefits for the hardcore gamer, who are perfectly happy with controllers as they are now. The Gamepad's cost out weighed the benefits it provided (easier access to game menus, off-TV play, touchscreen interface and game play). This resulted in the Wii U not only being underspecced, but also OVER PRICED, with a gimmick that appealed to no one.

3DS is, frankly, doing fine, but stumbled horribly out of the gate for a similar reason: over-priced at release, for a gimmick NO ONE CARED ABOUT.

Of course, even this isn't the whole story. There's Nintendo's inability to attract gamers who would buy third party software, and Nintendo gamer's general refusal to buy third party software (with some exceptions of course) which is a problem that's existed at least since the Gamecube, if not N64. This, again, had nothing to do with specs, and while the Wii's specs may have exacerbated the problem somewhat, they were not the cause. In fact, the Wii actually had very healthy third party support compared to Gamecube and Wii U. Unfortunately, the great third party games were ignored by most, and the rest were games that gamers like us (and the guy who wrote this article) don't care about or tend to acknowledge whenever they talk about the industry's "larger ecosystem".

Alright, rant over.

Wii and DS show you can have success with low powered consoles if you have a novelty attached to them which is a legitimate game changer to a clear and unchallenged audience base. 

But that doesn't mean that concept works as a blanket strategy either. The Virtual Boy and Wii U were underpowered too and we saw how those two turned out. 

You can't have success with that formula though unless you have something incredibly special as an interface going for you and a completely unchallenged audience (today this is far from the case, as millions of casuals play smartphone/tablet games on a regular basis). 

It's kind of like if you have a female friend and she says "well I don't need to go to school or get a job, I'm just going to be a Victoria Secret model, because that girl on the billboard didn't need to finish college". 

Well yeah, ok great, but you better damn well be incredibly good looking if that's your philosophy. Because that whole thing don't work if you look like an average person. So yeah if they're going to bet the farm on the "we're using hardware 1-2 generations behind what anyone would!" philosophy can work, but they better have one incredible, unbelievable novelty to go with it and even then I don't think they can replicate the Wii/DS because casual gamers today have smartphone games for free in their pocket 24/7, something that didn't exist in 2004-2006.