By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Codename S.T.E.A.M should not have bombed (Mini-review)

Platina said:
It's a bit 'niche' and they didn't market it well so that is why it bombed

Didn't ask why it bombed. I just stated it shouldn't have.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

Pricing was wrong for the game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

It was priced as a regular 3DS game and gave a ton of quality. So price has nothing to do with anything.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Has no appeal to me, looked awful.

Really liked it too.

The cons for me were story (predictable as OP said) and the multiplayer. While the battle system is fair enought against hordes of enemies, in the multiplayer, not so much. Since each player moves the full squad at once in its turn, whenever a character gets out of position it will be ganged hard by the full enemy team before he can move again.

I would say it is definitely worth buying and playing at least once, but no so sure about keeping it, though i still have mine.

EDITED: Also, Nintendo should have created new characters instead of using those. That´s just my opinion of course.

Around the Network

I suppose I'm one of the few people that also got the majora's mask pin as well...

Just finished it yesterday. It was a good game, which for me only really became fun after Chapter 10, when almost all characters were unlocked and when the goal you needed to reach sometimes became different from the "Reach the exit" goal you get in most missions prior (and still sometimes after).

Storywise... There's not too much of it, which according to me is partly due to the fact that they felt the need to introduce a new playable character almost every single chapter. I get that if you design your game like that, the player will get to know all the different abilities of every single character by the end of the game, but because of that the game sometimes felt like an elongated (difficult) tutorial, which isn't all that good. If they would have just told me: here's the S.T.E.A.M. team, you can select any character you want (with the possibility to try a character's weapons and skills in a seperate tutorial), that would have left them with more room to tell an actual story.

I DID love the art style and characters... even though I'm from Europe. Fun fact: classic American literature is available everywhere! So this game shouldn't "alienate" - get it? Because it's about an alien invasion... - anyone. It's not catered to Americans, it's catered to people that are into fantastic (as in non-realistic) literature: Oz, Lovecraft, Moby Dick, Tom Sawyers, it's all there.

Enemies are mostly based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft. So if anyone thinks they're bland...
Well, maybe they should have added more of his non-tentacled fiends.

Check the Make Account Later blog @ www.makeaccountlater.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter @MCJFranck

Paatar said:
Jumpin said:

It was priced as a regular 3DS game and gave a ton of quality. So price has nothing to do with anything.

It is a game that should have been priced the same as Liberation Maiden and Crimson Shroud.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ARamdomGamer said:
No Nintendo game deserve to bomb.

Nintendogs

Wii Sport

Wii Fit

Wii Party

Zumba Fitness

Cooking Mama

... no, they deserved the succes.

Teeqoz said:
ARamdomGamer said:
No Nintendo game deserve to bomb.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force?

The problem with Federation Force is not its existence, but the lack of a true real Metroid game since Other M.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile