By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Xb one can do emulation BC for 360, then PS4 should be able to easily do emulation BC for PS2

If Sony did that, then at least you would only need to have 2 consoles to be fully BC. PS3 does PS1 BC, PS4 with PS2 BC, PS2 classics go on sales on PSN. Done! PS2 should be much easier to emulate so it should not be necessary to do the jiggery-pokery stuff MS needs to do with the 360 games. Which means no need to muck around with getting licencing agreements from 3rd parties. Put the original PS2 game on PSN and away you go. Other than money it shouldn;t even be necessary to put any Sony developer resource into it, a 3rd party can be contracted to do the actual work.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I bet you they are launching ps1 and ps2 bc in 3.0 but keeping it under wraps for now.

Its probably a new app rather than firmware though 

Ps1 and ps2 will come eventually, but only when they really need it. I also feel ps3 bc will come, but not until like 2018/2019 because they want to push new games.

On xb1, for everyone playing a 360 game, they could be playing a brand newly bought x1 game. However xbox needs to push hardware sales over software if they want to prove to Microsoft that they should not be spun off.

Rockstar aren't looking at ps2 games sales and giving much thought. It's filed under 'other software sale's', they're concerned about proving to their investors the current lineup of games are selling, and sony are essentially making more money this way.

If? The xb1 doing or not doing that doesn't matter.. The ps4 should do PS2 BC regardless of what xb1 can or can't do. It might be tricky with some games that mix 2D and 3D due to sync problems but it's doable if they they put some effort into it

It should be easy, but wasn't Sony trying to sell PS Now for all your BC needs?

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
pbroy said:

This ^^^

Sony wants your $$$, MS wants to stay relevent.

It is near the end of the end....

My predictions:

BC
+PS2
+PS1
+PSP

?PSV

-PS3 (Cell is still to good at what it does to be properly emulated without hardware)

Ofc its possible, i doubt they're gonna do it tho.

Landguy said:
pbroy said:

This ^^^

Sony wants your $$$, MS wants to stay relevent.

What are you on about? You put PS2 classics on the PSN store and they will probably generate more revenue than they would through PSNow. And I'm guessing that having games for sale and download on PSN has lower overheads than streaming a game through PSNow.

PSNow for PS3 BC is basically essential because I doubt PS4 is capable of doing a decent job of PS3 BC. It's tricky enough for MS to do it with Xb one and 360 having very similar hardware design. They have to do tweaks to each 360 game for it to run on the emulator, which is why you have to download the game and you can't just slap in your 360 disc and play. With PS3 BC emulation Sony would have to almost do the whole remaster treatment, which cannot be justified on a cost basis. PSNow is the only way to cost effectively deliver PS3 BC to PS4.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Emulation is never exactly easy. Sure, the PS4 has enough power. But that doesn't mean that the software is gonna write itself and test every friggin' PS2 game for bugs and glitches. That's what Sony has to do and I'm pretty sure they are already on it. But there's a difference in release politics between Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft never had a problem with launching buggy software with many features still missing (I'm looking at you, Windows 98!). They just finish it with updates, updates and more updates. Sony on the other hand is used to complete a software (or hardware) and only launch it when it's working almost flawlessly. So we will not see a PS2 emulator that supports around 50-100 games at the beginning. We will only see it when it supports at least 90% of the PS2 library.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.