By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX vs Handheld Steam Machine (AKA Smach Zero - SteamBoy)

forethought14 said:
NX Go! won't have the 4G (I doubt Nintendo will bother), nor will it have the same resolution (probably not that high, more like 540p). I'd say it'll be less powerful due to the fact that a $299.99+ Handheld will sell horribly for Nintendo. $199.99 max. I'd say it's possible that the NX Go! will have 32GB flash memory internal, not a whole lot, will be surprised if it had more. Considering the jumps in RAM from Nintendo Handheld to Handheld, if from DSi we went from 16MB to 128MB in 3DS, a same jump from New 3DS's 256MB would lead to 2GB of RAM for the NX Go. A Quad Core CPU is likely considering the New 3DS is a Quad Core, though anything modern in architecture will be a SIGNIFICANT leap in power from those ancient ARM11 cores. For GPU, I don't know. May not match Wii U in that department, don't know what architecture they'll be using for that. AMD GCN architecture is likely, the RX 2XX would be a good fit. RX 3XX seems too recent, but you'll never know. Since it'll be priced lower than this SteamBoy, it won't match it's RAW power.

Interesting post and a good analysis! Seems like most ppl agree on about 2 gb RAM for the NXgo, which means itll be less powerful than SteamBoy. How much less powerful would NXgo be if it used two screens, like the DS-series? 

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Next Nintendo portable console will sell more.

Water is wet.

OT: What will the specs be?

For the Steam Boy? Didnt you read the OP? ;)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Smach Zero will crush Nintendo's new portable when it comes to both power and price ...

The nx will have all games that release for both console and handheld and is backwards compatible to Wii u
Has steam the never old getting games from Nintendo and other masterpieces from Nintendo collaborations with other dev Teams ? Of course not

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

forethought14 said:
NX Go! won't have the 4G (I doubt Nintendo will bother), nor will it have the same resolution (probably not that high, more like 540p). I'd say it'll be less powerful due to the fact that a $299.99+ Handheld will sell horribly for Nintendo. $199.99 max. I'd say it's possible that the NX Go! will have 32GB flash memory internal, not a whole lot, will be surprised if it had more. Considering the jumps in RAM from Nintendo Handheld to Handheld, if from DSi we went from 16MB to 128MB in 3DS, a same jump from New 3DS's 256MB would lead to 2GB of RAM for the NX Go. A Quad Core CPU is likely considering the New 3DS is a Quad Core, though anything modern in architecture will be a SIGNIFICANT leap in power from those ancient ARM11 cores. For GPU, I don't know. May not match Wii U in that department, don't know what architecture they'll be using for that. AMD GCN architecture is likely, the RX 2XX would be a good fit. RX 3XX seems too recent, but you'll never know. Since it'll be priced lower than this SteamBoy, it won't match it's RAW power.

Display 5-6" with 540p, 2GB Ram, ARM Cortex-A53 Quad Core and some suitable gpu. That would be pretty ok specs for Nintendo handheld and around $150-199 price point.

Remember, Wii U gamepad have 6.2" and 480p resolution.

Around the Network

299 for a handheld?

DanneSandin said:

Interesting post and a good analysis! Seems like most ppl agree on about 2 gb RAM for the NXgo, which means itll be less powerful than SteamBoy. How much less powerful would NXgo be if it used two screens, like the DS-series? 

Well, less RAM doesn't mean less "powerful", less RAM means there's less room to do stuff, I guess the best term for that would be that NX Go will be "less capable". Bandwidth of the RAM is also important. Having two screens will do some harm to its potential due to the cost. However some costs could be reduced without resorting to such low resolutions by choosing something that's more streamlined (not too high though), no strange resolutions like 400 x 240. 960 x 540p is the minimum imo, low chance of 480p. While 480p is indeed a possible solution, there aren't that many 480p screens out there being manufactured for handheld devices, so depending on the vendor, it may be a bit more costly to choose a lower not-so mainstream screen. If the screen is roughly 4 or 5 inches, the PPI would be pretty good, but I don't expect Vita-quality bright-pretty vivid colors on the screens. 

Miyamotoo said:

Display 5-6" with 540p, 2GB Ram, ARM Cortex-A53 Quad Core and some suitable gpu. That would be pretty ok specs for Nintendo handheld and around $150-199 price point.

Remember, Wii U gamepad have 6.2" and 480p resolution.

6 inches is pushing it though, that'll be quite a big handheld. However, I expect different options for screen sizes like how there's large screens for the 3DS LL/XL's and there's smaller screens for the OG 3DS. Around 4 inches for the smaller one, 5.5-6 inches for the larger model.  

I doubt that NX will be a handheld.

DanneSandin said:

So, apparently we're getting a portable Steam Machine next year with 4GB of RAM, a 720p touchscreen, HDMI output, Bluetooth, and Wifi for $299. How will this compare to Nintendo's next handheld? Which one will be more powerful? Which one will be most expansive?

MORE INFO:  Smach Zero features a 720p resolution 5 inch touchscreen display, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI output and 4G LTE connectivity with the PRO model.

The Steam-based handheld has an “AMD embedded G-Series SoC Steppe Eagle with Jaguar-based CPU and GCN-based Radeon graphics under the hood.” It also includes 4 GB of RAM and 32GB internal memory with room for external expansion. Battery life is yet to be confirmed.

What can we expect from NX (if it's a handlheld) with regards to this information? How powerful can it be? Extrapolate people!

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/260475/handheld-steam-machine-coming-next-year-for-299/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/11/smach-zero-steam-based-handheld-price-and-pre-sales-announced?watch

The NX is not a handheld. This has already been confirmed.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
DanneSandin said:

So, apparently we're getting a portable Steam Machine next year with 4GB of RAM, a 720p touchscreen, HDMI output, Bluetooth, and Wifi for $299. How will this compare to Nintendo's next handheld? Which one will be more powerful? Which one will be most expansive?

MORE INFO:  Smach Zero features a 720p resolution 5 inch touchscreen display, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI output and 4G LTE connectivity with the PRO model.

The Steam-based handheld has an “AMD embedded G-Series SoC Steppe Eagle with Jaguar-based CPU and GCN-based Radeon graphics under the hood.” It also includes 4 GB of RAM and 32GB internal memory with room for external expansion. Battery life is yet to be confirmed.

What can we expect from NX (if it's a handlheld) with regards to this information? How powerful can it be? Extrapolate people!

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/260475/handheld-steam-machine-coming-next-year-for-299/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/11/smach-zero-steam-based-handheld-price-and-pre-sales-announced?watch

The NX is not a handheld. This has already been confirmed.

Basically nothing it's confirmed and we dont know nothing for sure except that NX will be revealed next year.