By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX vs Handheld Steam Machine (AKA Smach Zero - SteamBoy)

I think a comparison to Wii-U is more interesting. Same price but the Steam portable seems to be more powerfull and a real portable device.

That said some competition on the handheld market is always welcome, since i don't think Sony will ever release a traditional handheld again.

Around the Network

$300 for a handheld is on the expensive side, so the handheld will probably be weaker, but that is based on nothing, because we know nothing of the NX.. :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I don't think a Steam handheld will sell a whole lot, tbh.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ryng_Tolu said:
Next Nintendo portable console will sell more.

Water is wet.

OT: What will the specs be?

AnthonyW86 said:
I think a comparison to Wii-U is more interesting. Same price but the Steam portable seems to be more powerfull and a real portable device.

That said some competition on the handheld market is always welcome, since i don't think Sony will ever release a traditional handheld again.

It actually costs more than Wii U, $299 is just for people who preorder it, the price will go up once it launches.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
I don't think a Steam handheld will sell a whole lot, tbh.

The great thing about the steamboy is that sales hardly even matter. There will always be large number of PC users to play against, and it'll receive loads of software regardless of how well it sells.

I gotta say, I'm super hyped for this. I have a ton of indies in my library that I'd love to play on the go, plus a few older AAA titles too. Not to mention emulation! I wonder if ps2 emulation will be possible on this thing... Gah! If I start saving now, I might just be able to afford one shortly after launch, or whenever the reviews start coming in.

zorg1000 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

It actually costs more than Wii U, $299 is just for people who preorder it, the price will go up once it launches.

Yeah, and I would never preorder an unreviewed handheld... too much that can go wrong: battery life, weight, performance, bad drivers, bad display, faulty workmanship, the handheld case feels uncomfortable (sharp edges, cheap plastic, case gets too hot in use), sticks or buttons are bad positioned or aren't reliable...

Often even minor details tip the balance if a device is fun to use or not. I loved the idea of the Nvidia Shield handheld... up to the moment I held it in my own hands, the weight (3x compared to my Vita 2000) was the dealbreaker.

So which games can you play on that Steam handheld? It has to be a combination of SteamOS-compatible games with full controller-support (you don't want to connect keyboard or mouse to a handheld)... then we are down to 400 games: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1#sort_by=Reviews_DESC&category1=998&category2=28&os=linux&page=1
Not bad, even if most of them are small indie games. Many of the most interesting games which are theoretically compatible will demand faster hardware than the handheld can deliver, even in 720p. And many of the good indie titles I can already play on my Vita... most of them for free thanks to my PS+ subscription.

First I hear of this Steamboy. I'm intrigued.

The next Nintendo portable won't cost more than $200 so it will be weaker.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Conina said:
zorg1000 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Yeah, and I would never preorder an unreviewed handheld... too much that can go wrong: battery life, weight, performance, bad drivers, bad display, faulty workmanship, the handheld case feels uncomfortable (sharp edges, cheap plastic, case gets too hot in use), sticks or buttons are bad positioned or aren't reliable...

Often even minor details tip the balance if a device is fun to use or not. I loved the idea of the Nvidia Shield handheld... up to the moment I held it in my own hands, the weight (3x compared to my Vita 2000) was the dealbreaker.

So which games can you play on that Steam handheld? It has to be a combination of SteamOS-compatible games with full controller-support (you don't want to connect keyboard or mouse to a handheld)... then we are down to 400 games: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1#sort_by=Reviews_DESC&category1=998&category2=28&os=linux&page=1
Not bad, even if most of them are small indie games. Many of the most interesting games which are theoretically compatible will demand faster hardware than the handheld can deliver, even in 720p. And many of the good indie titles I can already play on my Vita... most of them for free thanks to my PS+ subscription.

Ya, just like Steam Machines & Nvidia's line of Shield devices, this will be a very niche product. Nice concept but too costly and not enough to distinguish itself from other devices to truly be successful.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NX Go! won't have the 4G (I doubt Nintendo will bother), nor will it have the same resolution (probably not that high, more like 540p). I'd say it'll be less powerful due to the fact that a $299.99+ Handheld will sell horribly for Nintendo. $199.99 max. I'd say it's possible that the NX Go! will have 32GB flash memory internal, not a whole lot, will be surprised if it had more. Considering the jumps in RAM from Nintendo Handheld to Handheld, if from DSi we went from 16MB to 128MB in 3DS, a same jump from New 3DS's 256MB would lead to 2GB of RAM for the NX Go. A Quad Core CPU is likely considering the New 3DS is a Quad Core, though anything modern in architecture will be a SIGNIFICANT leap in power from those ancient ARM11 cores. For GPU, I don't know. May not match Wii U in that department, don't know what architecture they'll be using for that. AMD GCN architecture is likely, the RX 2XX would be a good fit. RX 3XX seems too recent, but you'll never know. Since it'll be priced lower than this SteamBoy, it won't match it's RAW power.