By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX vs Handheld Steam Machine (AKA Smach Zero - SteamBoy)

Well not playing every game on the go but only a few of the less heavy is HUGE in favor of the next Nintendo Handheld... plus this device only running downloaded titles is a big limitation aswell

Around the Network

Very interesting. Also it will be very interesting to how next Nintendo hardware will compare with this.

"The Smach Zero will be available for pre-order starting November 10th for $299. However, the price of the handheld will increase once it is actually released."

Hm, someone drew a comparison to the Vita. The thing with the Vita is: It was a failure (commercially) because the lack of Sony games or that the Sony games that existed was not enough for the mainstream. As for third party games there weren't many that wasn't niche japanese titles. So that is the reason Vita failed + it's high price at launch and the price of the memory cards. Vita is by no means a failure when it comes to games (for me) because I like niche japanese titles. I might pick one up someday.

As for Steamboy; It will have all the games that you already can play on Steam (correct me if I'm wrong). But I can't see someone actually wanting to play games like Fallout 4 or the Witcher 3 on the go. I rather play those games on a big screen, sitting on my couch, laying back with the lights off.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

I'm kinda shocked that Steam is making a handheld. But in terms of resolution, I kinda expected Nintendo's next handheld to have 720p as well. So, I think they will be relatively close in power. I don't really see the Steam handheld to be much of a success though.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Will the steamboy have a x86 cpu (ultrabook cpu or anything) and be able to play all/most actual steam games?
Because if it does have an ARM-CPU it wouldnt get many games.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Very interesting. Also it will be very interesting to how next Nintendo hardware will compare with this.

"The Smach Zero will be available for pre-order starting November 10th for $299. However, the price of the handheld will increase once it is actually released."

That's what I'm wondering as well. Can the next Nintendo handheld be a 4 gb RAM with 720 resolution console?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's what I'm wondering as well. Can the next Nintendo handheld be a 4 gb RAM with 720 resolution console?

4GB and 720p for Nintendo handheld alone would be too much, but for some hybrid handheld-home console device would be good fit.

Ryng_Tolu said:
Next Nintendo portable console will sell more.

Yes. All Nintendo needs to do is announce their new handheld along with a new Pokémon/Zelda.

I don't think Nintendo will lose a handheld generation. PSP and PS Vita were no match for DS and 3DS, and I don't think Steam Machine will won.

Well the NXDS will definitely be cheaper and less powerful. It'll likely be between $200-$250.

I don't really care which is more powerful. What I'm really curious about is just how powerful will the Steamboy be. How will games on it run? What kinds of games will run. Should we even judge the performance when they won't be optimized for the hardware like NXDS games will?

JNK said:
Will the steamboy have a x86 cpu (ultrabook cpu or anything) and be able to play all/most actual steam games?
Because if it does have an ARM-CPU it wouldnt get many games.

Jaguar-based implies X86.