By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Splatoon sell more than FFXV in Japan?

Can it happen?

Yeah. 252 32.43%

Maybe. 169 21.75%

Nope. 356 45.82%

Total:777

Eh, it'll be close.

My pessimistic side says no, however.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I think its quite unlikely. Final Fantasy XV might as well be THE game of the generation in Japan. We're talking about a Main Entry being released at least six years after XIII, a game that has (and will) get overwhelming amounts of coverage and hype from the media and gaming community in general. And I don't care what the haters say, Japan still loves Final Fantasy.

I do believe Splatoon will break the 1 million mark by year's end though. Smash U better be ready to be the third best selling Wii U game in Japan.

I would say there's a chance that Splatoon will outsell, but I think that chance is small.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

I don't think so

Kuksenkov said:
I think its quite unlikely. Final Fantasy XV might as well be THE game of the generation in Japan. We're talking about a Main Entry being released at least six years after XIII, a game that has (and will) get overwhelming amounts of coverage and hype from the media and gaming community in general. And I don't care what the haters say, Japan still loves Final Fantasy.

I do believe Splatoon will break the 1 million mark by year's end though. Smash U better be ready to be the third best selling Wii U game in Japan.

Smash U is currently the fourth best selling Wii U game in Japan.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

Nah, that's never happening.

It has a chance, but I'll say no..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Splatoon it's been selling pretty good for many weeks so wouldn't be surprising if can top 1 million. Now unless FF is uterly shit I don't see it doing less than 1.5m, even 13 sold almost 2M and that's on a console without kingdom hearts and dragon quest.

On the other hand if it releases on this new nintendo console, who knows? maybe hurts its sales on ps4 and splatoon wins? it would be fun xD

Those figures from the OP are from 2009? So FFXIII has actually had 6 years of more sales on top of that, which wouldn't usually be much but with extra interest generated by sequels may have been worth more than usual.

Don't really know though, this is a hard one to call. While it could do worse than XIII it could also reignite interest in the FF series and sell really well.

leyendax69 said:

Splatoon it's been selling pretty good for many weeks so wouldn't be surprising if can top 1 million. Now unless FF is uterly shit I don't see it doing less than 1.5m, even 13 sold almost 2M and that's on a console without kingdom hearts and dragon quest.

On the other hand if it releases on this new nintendo console, who knows? maybe hurts its sales on ps4 and splatoon wins? it would be fun xD

I don't think the OP actually asks if it could sell more than the PS4 version alone, just FFXV in general. In which case if it did come to Nintendo's new console as well it should theoretically sell more than if it was PS4 exclusive giving FFXV an advantage.