By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Splatoon sell more than FFXV in Japan?

Can it happen?

Yeah. 252 32.43%

Maybe. 169 21.75%

Nope. 356 45.82%

Total:777
vivster said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yeah because Final Fantasy has been so brilliant lately, not like that mediocre game called Splatoon

What do you mean with lately? The last new FF was FFXIII, which came out  5 years ago. The sequels had to sell of course lower because they didn't have the hype and people now knew they wouldn't like them. FFXV is targeted at a different audience.

FF sells on hype and FFXV has currently plenty of it, partly thanks to FFXIII being not for everyone's taste. It's really hard to tell how well FFXV will do but at least the current signs seem to suggest a victory in favor of FF.

The way you said it "I hope so" or "I may leave this forums if FFV bombs below Splatoon" makes me think you are saying that one deservest it while the other don´t. And FF has been shit for years imo.

Around the Network

Before Splatoon's release this question would have been crazy. While I still think Final Fantasy XV will beat Splatoon, I definitely won't be taking any bets against Splatoon.

Goodnightmoon said:

The way you said it "I hope so" or "I may leave this forums if FFV bombs below Splatoon" makes me think you are saying that one deservest it while the other don´t. And FF has been shit for years imo.

If you base that off of spin-offs then sure but otherwise the franchise itself is doing fine ...

Boutros said:
I'm not sure FFXV will sell over 1.5m but I'm pretty sure Splatoon won't so unless FFXV underperforms greatly, which it could, I don't think that's going to happen. FFXV's performance depends a lot on when it comes out (before/after Kingdom Hearts III, FFVII, DQXI, etc.).

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Goodnightmoon said:
vivster said:

What do you mean with lately? The last new FF was FFXIII, which came out  5 years ago. The sequels had to sell of course lower because they didn't have the hype and people now knew they wouldn't like them. FFXV is targeted at a different audience.

FF sells on hype and FFXV has currently plenty of it, partly thanks to FFXIII being not for everyone's taste. It's really hard to tell how well FFXV will do but at least the current signs seem to suggest a victory in favor of FF.

There hasn't been any FF "for years". There was one 5 years ago and that's it. Als what does "being shit" have to do with sales?

I say I hope so because first I want it to win because I like it and second because the forum would become a horrible place for me. Not saying it deserves it more, just that it would benefit me greatly if it did.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Ps4 is also getting KH3 and FFXV has a male-only cast. It will be popular for fujoshi, so no.

Depends - will SE spend as many millions as Nintendo to market Splatoon? Actually, doesn't matter - FFXV will sell more.

Maybe. Regardless, I'm sure both will end up close.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Yeah some people will assume you're crazy for saying that haha

But I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Splatoon as shown to be game that has possessed fantastic legs since it launched over two months ago in Japan. To reiterate: I'm talking about Japan, the place where console games drop off the charts before you can even blink. Being able to hold it's ground so far (and into the foreseeable future) just shows that Nintendo has been able to create a game with staying power.

Now on to the main event. The fact that FF XV is (basically) exclusive to the PS4 means that it will have more of an uphill battle to get to the numbers of it's predecessors. But if it's one thing that it does have over Splatoon is that it's a recognizable IP. Couple that with the growing PS4 userbase in Japan and FF XV has enough room to sell pretty well. Though I wouldn't expect it to match Splatoon's LT Japan sales first week, or even first month, for that matter. But I think that FF XV will come out on top over time.

But really, if Splatoon ends up outselling FF XV in the end then I'm seriously going to laugh my ass off for an entire day or more.

Eh, it'll be close.

My pessimistic side says no, however.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."