By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Splatoon sell more than FFXV in Japan?

Can it happen?

Yeah. 252 32.43%

Maybe. 169 21.75%

Nope. 356 45.82%

Total:777
melbye said:
There is a very big chance that it will

Like 100%?

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

How many crows have been served because of Splatoon at this point?!?

I would use a certain DBZ meme, but we are not in 2007 anymore.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

If FFXV fails the future of console RPGs in Japan is screwed well according to Tabata.
http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-xv-problem-1631021969

So in terms of whether console games will be received moving forward, it's not to say that I don't have any concerns at all, but I believe that it'll really depend on how Final Fantasy XV does. Because I really want more people to enjoy games in the living room, on a big screen. If Final Fantasy XV doesn't do well, perhaps there's not much of a future for console games. It kind of really depends on how that goes.

llazy77 said:

If FFXV fails the future of console RPGs in Japan is screwed well according to Tabata.

So in terms of whether console games will be received moving forward, it's not to say that I don't have any concerns at all, but I believe that it'll really depend on how Final Fantasy XV does. Because I really want more people to enjoy games in the living room, on a big screen. If Final Fantasy XV doesn't do well, perhaps there's not much of a future for console games. It kind of really depends on how that goes.

don't worry NX is console hybrid and that concluded JRPG like Pokemon and Monster Hunter still selling on home console at japan

llazy77 said:

99% of Japanese devs haven't made a big budget RPG in years. Its kind of a realm exclusively owned by SE and even then the games aren't frequent, FFXV will be the first this generation (3 years in). FFXV will do well (1.5) but it also won't change the direction the industry is moving in. As a few others have suggested, I think the NX is the future of the Japanese market.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
llazy77 said:

99% of Japanese devs haven't made a big budget RPG in years. Its kind of a realm exclusively owned by SE and even then the games aren't frequent, FFXV will be the first this generation (3 years in). FFXV will do well (1.5) but it also won't change the direction the industry is moving in. As a few others have suggested, I think the NX is the future of the Japanese market.

Personally I think the lack of daring with Japanese devs is a major part of the problem. Why should Japanese audiences invest in a premium experience with the PS4 if the vast majority of developers won't take advantage of those platforms anyway?

tbone51 said:
katakpisang said:
i think Square Enix really need to start worrying about DQ:XI after this

DQ has nothing to do with FF bro. Also DQ will kill it in sales. Both 3ds and ps4 version will sell very well. Probably 3.5mil to 4.5mil lifetime

Here you called FF15 doing very big numbers in Japan.  Far higher then they look like achieving.  So I wouldn't be so cocky about DQ if I was you.  

And probably not the best to be dishing out crow to people who predicted FF15 beating splatoon because you were waaaaaaaay off with your own FF prediction. You'll be eating just as much yourself. 

Nuvendil said:
teigaga said:

Personally I think the lack of daring with Japanese devs is a major part of the problem. Why should Japanese audiences invest in a premium experience with the PS4 if the vast majority of developers won't take advantage of those platforms anyway?

Just as many Japanese have bought the ps4 in it's first 2 and 1/2 years as bought the ps3. It has a very healthy future.  your point about Japanese not paying for the premium ps4 experience doesn't hold much weight. 

Kerotan said:
tbone51 said:

DQ has nothing to do with FF bro. Also DQ will kill it in sales. Both 3ds and ps4 version will sell very well. Probably 3.5mil to 4.5mil lifetime

Here you called FF15 doing very big numbers in Japan.  Far higher then they look like achieving.  So I wouldn't be so cocky about DQ if I was you.  

And probably not the best to be dishing out crow to people who predicted FF15 beating splatoon because you were waaaaaaaay off with your own FF prediction. You'll be eating just as much yourself. 

Ill be glad to eat crow. That said DQ has nothing to do with FF. DQ didnt have an entry that hurt its franchise and it hasnt complete ly changed its formula like ffxv has.

Also every1 predictions were from so long ago. Every1 mindset had FFXV doing anywhere between 1.4mil to 2.5mil lifetime. So its understandable

Kerotan said:
Nuvendil said:

Just as many Japanese have bought the ps4 in it's first 2 and 1/2 years as bought the ps3. It has a very healthy future.  your point about Japanese not paying for the premium ps4 experience doesn't hold much weight. 

It has a very good future sure but it should worry about the upcoming NX. Especially if its a portable HC