By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Splatoon sell more than FFXV in Japan?

Can it happen?

Yeah. 252 32.43%

Maybe. 169 21.75%

Nope. 356 45.82%

Total:777
Qwark said:

You do know you are comparing a game with a 144.000 launch with a game that sold 690.000 units on launch and still has some holiday ahead of it. At least I presume Japanese people celebrate some form of Christmas or new year. If it doesn't beat 850k by years end you might have a point. But it isn't going to come that far I guess, maybe Sony even makes a FFXV bundle which would probably utterly destroy Splatoon on Wii U sales wise in Japan.

lol, FFXV is overship. Base on gaf member, it only sold 60% unit shipped. And now FFXV is already being discounted in Japan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323277

Also, Dengeki report FFXV shipped 1,15 mil unit while Splatoon sold 1,5 mil in japan. Destroy splatoon, yeah sure

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Qwark said:

You do know you are comparing a game with a 144.000 launch with a game that sold 690.000 units on launch and still has some holiday ahead of it. At least I presume Japanese people celebrate some form of Christmas or new year. If it doesn't beat 850k by years end you might have a point. But it isn't going to come that far I guess, maybe Sony even makes a FFXV bundle which would probably utterly destroy Splatoon on Wii U sales wise in Japan.

lol, FFXV is overship. Base on gaf member, it only sold 60% unit shipped. And now FFXV is already being discounted in Japan

Also, Dengeki report FFXV shipped 1,15 mil unit while Splatoon sold 1,5 mil in japan. Destroy splatoon, yeah sure

It still has 17 months to sell those 900.000 units for an aligned launch. And since I guess Sony is going to bundle FFXV in Japan and it will top a million this year I think it will.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

Comparing launches makes little sense. Final Fantasy is a well established franchise and thus will have much higher front-loaded sales than a new IP that still needed to prove itself. Unless you think FF XV will also outsell Pokémon Red and Green in Japan. Only 9.4 million copies to go!

Qwark said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

It still has 17 months to sell those 900.000 units for an aligned launch. And since I guess Sony is going to bundle FFXV in Japan and it will top a million this year I think it will.

It's worth noting that Final Fantasy sales tend to be VERY front-loaded in Japan. Around 78% of FFXIII's sales in Japan came from the first week.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

First time I notice this thread and it's goooooood.
Opinions change over time I guess...

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:

so digital does not count ?

Any old thread with Splatoon predictions is always a good retrospective read.

Well, it's official Splatoon destroyed FF15. DESTROYED!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

When all is said and done Splatoon will end up selling more. I think sales for Splatoon 2 will even be bigger. It will establish itself as one of the biggest franchises in Japan for next generation.

Funny in the comment section of the IGN review for FF15 I had a discussion with a guy who really believed FF15 would outsell pokemon sun/moon. That was two days prior to the first week sales. I haven't heard from him since...

Think for yourself, question authority

Since FFXV just passed 1mil. An extra 500k is possible. But Splatoon 2 looks like it can beat the first one.

Pocky Lover Boy!