By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police officer: "Tase first, ask questions later."

pokoko said:
WolfpackN64 said:

They have Police Batton's for a reason -.-

If you're in a situation where someone is coming at you in anger and they might or might not have a knife or a gun, what are you going to do?  Pull out a taser or a stick?  

How about people simply not be fucking stupid in the first place?  Wouldn't that be so much better?  Why is that too much to ask?  

It is true that it's not smart to act like that towards a cop. However, the larger problem is a growing and growing epidemic of police violence, usually brutal and often absolutely unwarrented, against totally unarmed people. Many of whom do not act "Aggresive" or "Threatening" in any real way whatsoever.

And the fact is, we live in a society that is far too "trigger happy" in general, so to speak, and the modern day police force seem to be becoming increasingly paranoid and trigger happy themselves. They wonder why it seems like most people hate and distrust the police now. Well, it might have something to do with the fact that, at an increasing rate, the average American is starting to feel like they simply CAN'T trust police officers anymore,  like they are NOT here to serve and protect us at all. And that isn't just a senitment coming from the ghetoo and "minorities", it's a sentiment that is gradually starting to be shared by even suburban "whites" as well. Because these incidents just keep growing in number. The sheer volume/number of police brutality and misconduct cases, not to MENTION the thousands of police shootings/killings in the US, just in the last several years, is both staggering and repulsive. And also kind of scary as shit.

What is the answer? Well there are no  easy answers. However, I think that the entire US police force as a whole needs to be reminded that they are paid by our fucking taxes, to PROTECT and SERVE us. We are not here for them. They are supposed to be here for US. That is their job, that is what they get paid for. And yes, there are criminal shitbags and psychos out there. But it's still SUPPOSED to be "guilty until proven innocent". Not "assume everyone is guilty and act accordingly with extreme prejudice". We do not live in Judge Dredd comics. The police are not a power unto themselves, like some of them now seem to think they are. They are empowered by US. And it didn't help that the government started selling them miltiary grade shit, so that local police forces would start militarizing themselves. AGAINST US. The people they're sworn to protect and serve.

And THERE you have the root problem: When you militarize a police force, you get that force into an "Us vs. Them" mindset, with the US PEOPLE they're supposed to be serving, as the "enemy". You want to know why more and more police killings and beatings happen? (Even RAPE cases of women incarcerated, as sick as that is) Well there you go. It's because they are more and more being trained into this mindset that they are in a warzone, and we are the enemy. If you don't think THAT is gonna cause bad shit, then you're fuckin naive. That, above all else, needs to change for this to ever get better.

Around the Network

You don't come at a cop like that. He's lucky he didn't mistake his .357 magnum as a taser...

I mean that guy yelling at the police officer was an idiot, but yeah that officer was WAY out of line.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Oh, the guy was an idiot. Nothing to see here.

Victim blaming in full force here, par the course for the internet. Granted both were wrong.
But, and I am definitely going to offend someone, but fck em, Officers are protectors of citizens first, then people, self defense is important, but in any civil position, specifically the executive branch where officer's operate, its not as high a priority as making sure he is making the right call. That's why training exists.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Again. How difficult is it to say "come any closer and I will taze you sir".

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Are any of you "the cop was wrong" a Police Officer?

Do any of you ACTUALLY understand how dangerous it is to be a Police Officer ANYWHERE in the world.

Do any of you ACTUALLY understand that Police Officers now days get no respect and are threatened when in the past they were looked apon as guardians.

You need to go ask a Police Officer how scary people can be when they come at Police Officers with threatening attitudes and anger. And I would also like to see how you would react in the same situation as the video. Would you Fight or Flight?

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you need to realise that they save YOUR life because without them you would not live safely like you do!

Try to imagine a world without Police Officers and then go find a Police Officer and thank them for the job they do to keep you safe.

I know a LOT of Police Officers and I know how hard a life it is on them and I say thank you to them for doing what I am not capable of doing!

pokoko said:
I have NO problem with this. Don't jump out your car, point your hand at a cop, then walk toward them aggressively while yelling. He's lucky it wasn't a whole lot worse.

This. He showed agressiveness to a police officer. He got exactly the treatment he deserved. 

pokoko said:
WolfpackN64 said:

They have Police Batton's for a reason -.-

If you're in a situation where someone is coming at you in anger and they might or might not have a knife or a gun, what are you going to do?  Pull out a taser or a stick?  

How about people simply not be fucking stupid in the first place?  Wouldn't that be so much better?  Why is that too much to ask?  

Any police officer with decent training would first pull out a batton at an unarmed person. First try to defuse the situation, only then you opt for self defense.

Nem said:
pokoko said:
I have NO problem with this. Don't jump out your car, point your hand at a cop, then walk toward them aggressively while yelling. He's lucky it wasn't a whole lot worse.

This. He showed agressiveness to a police officer. He got exactly the treatment he deserved. 

No he did not, the police officer in question escalated the situation way too quickly.