By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police officer: "Tase first, ask questions later."

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Nem said:

Beeing orderly is not the same as beeing suspicious. If you behave orderly, the policeman will not use force. If he is suspicious he will give you intructions to follow. If you are orderly you will follow them and force wont be used.

Police will use force if they percieve you as a threat, which is their responsibility. Being orderly does not mean you won't be seen as a threat.

They will not perceive you as a threat if you are orderly. You are only a threat if you make yourself look like or are one. 

orderly/ˈɔːd(ə)li/

adjective

neatly and methodically arranged.

charged with the conveyance or execution of orders.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
pokoko said:

If you're in a situation where someone is coming at you in anger and they might or might not have a knife or a gun, what are you going to do?  Pull out a taser or a stick?  

How about people simply not be fucking stupid in the first place?  Wouldn't that be so much better?  Why is that too much to ask?  

I'd actually rather be tased than beaten. 

Agreed. To carry a taser, I had to be taxed.  The effects wear off almost instantly.

Officer over reacted somewhat, but still the fault is primarily with the driver. You do not get out of your car and make aggressive movements towards a cop, he was lucky all he got was a hit from a taser. Police are armed and they have a right to firstly think of their own safety, he can't be certain of the persons intentions so all he has to go by is the person aggressive nature and complete disregard for common sense. Secondly police are not like normal citizens, they have weapons that if assaulted can be turned on them as such they need to headoff any confrontation early, they also deal with violent people on a daily basis and it is not reasonable to expect them to wait until they stabbed, shot or punched in the face before they respond.

Aeolus451 said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:
pokoko said:
I have NO problem with this. Don't jump out your car, point your hand at a cop, then walk toward them aggressively while yelling. He's lucky it wasn't a whole lot worse.

This. He showed agressiveness to a police officer. He got exactly the treatment he deserved. 

No he did not, the police officer in question escalated the situation way too quickly.

The cop simply pulled up behind him and the old man got out of his car and started to act aggressive. Who's escalated the situation? 

Cops have been shot over nothing in situations like this. Aggression towards cops escalates the situation and permits the cop to use force. If you don't want any force used on you, don't act aggressive with a cop. They are humans, too.

I'm not justifying the actions of the man that acted agressive towards the cop. But he was unarmed and the cop should not have used his taser first.

WolfpackN64 said:
Aeolus451 said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:
pokoko said:
I have NO problem with this. Don't jump out your car, point your hand at a cop, then walk toward them aggressively while yelling. He's lucky it wasn't a whole lot worse.

This. He showed agressiveness to a police officer. He got exactly the treatment he deserved. 

No he did not, the police officer in question escalated the situation way too quickly.

The cop simply pulled up behind him and the old man got out of his car and started to act aggressive. Who's escalated the situation? 

Cops have been shot over nothing in situations like this. Aggression towards cops escalates the situation and permits the cop to use force. If you don't want any force used on you, don't act aggressive with a cop. They are humans, too.

I'm not justifying the actions of the man that acted agressive towards the cop. But he was unarmed and the cop should not have used his taser first.

It's non-lethal, so what more do you want? The old man stopped being aggressive and became compliant after being tased. It didn't escalate any further.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Aeolus451 said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:
pokoko said:

It's non-lethal, so what more do you want? The old man stopped being aggressive and became compliant after being tased. It didn't escalate any further.

I would want my police force to act professional. They have a batton for these kind of situations.

I'm fine with this, probably would have acted the same way if I was him

kumagawa said:
Qwark said:

Tasers hurt but are not lethal or cause permanent damage. The officer did the right thing why was that idiot even reacting so agressively against that officer hè didnt do anything yet. I hope that tazer activated some of the reflecting behaviour parts into that Idiot's brain.

Unless you are old or have a pacemaker in which case they can be lethal.

That's why they are called 'less lethal' rather than 'non lethal'.

Beating someone with a police batton is statistically probably just as lethal especially for an older or someone in weak helath so what's your point every weapon is more or less lethal, some weapons are just defenitly going to kill you like a shotgun the swat uses for example even if you shoot in his leg he is going to bleed out.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar