By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says it’s ‘very likely’ more remasters are coming

This is not something I want to hear. Its ok to remaster games when they need to be remastered however that's not what's happening. We are being resold the same games as last gens as simply cross overs. TLOU-RM and GOW3 are nothing more then 1080p/60frame versions.

Those using the excuse of those gamers who have missed out is complete BS. Most gamers last gen ended up with both consoles and even if some didn't get the chance to play those games, they can also go out and buy a PS3 and the games at a much cheaper price. Its not like these consoles and games are obsolete.

What I don't get is that most gamers have kept there PS3s because the PS4 isn't BC. So why would they want to buy the games again on PS4? And why should they invest to buy a expensive console when there's a much cheaper alternative in the PS3?

The sad part is instead of these devs focusing on newer ideas and sequels, they are wasting there time and resources delivering games most of the world have already played.

This is why BC is important. Even though many don't use it, it helps push devs into creating newer experiences.

Around the Network
Protendo said:

This is the result of Sony successfully courting the competitors audience. What's been there done that to us is now new to many. What they are doing is completely logical, especially when they use porting studios to do the work.

The more Sony is able to court other audiences from previous generations, the bigger the "remastered" audience becomes.

Just to let you know...Sony is courting back a lot of gamers who had Playstations the generation previously before. The same ones who have no loyalty. They just go with whichever had the multiplats and is trendier. Remember its almost like Sony's marketshare from the previous gen was split 50/50 between them and Microsoft once Microsoft went for their marketshare by courting third parties a year early. Sony had sold over 150 PS3's. Microsoft's numbers from the previous gen were astronomical compared to what they were used to. They literally share between them around the numbers of what the PS2 sold which is slightly over what the PS2 ultimately sold.

Well as long as they put 3rd party contractors onto the remastering job, with project oversight by the original studio, so that the top tier studios keep producing new content I don't care. If I never played the game in past gens I may buy it. If I did play the game in past gens I probably won't buy it.

But please, get Sega to remaster Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 for PS4 and PC. I'm still salty that these games flipped from PS3 to PSP, and Sega needs to make up for that betrayal.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Just to let you know...Sony is courting back a lot of gamers who had Playstations the generation previously before. 

Keep telling yourself that. I have seen quite a few X360 loyalists convert.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Protendo said:

This is the result of Sony successfully courting the competitors audience. What's been there done that to us is now new to many. What they are doing is completely logical, especially when they use porting studios to do the work.

The more Sony is able to court other audiences from previous generations, the bigger the "remastered" audience becomes.

Just to let you know...Sony is courting back a lot of gamers who had Playstations the generation previously before. The same ones who have no loyalty. They just go with whichever had the multiplats and is trendier. Remember its almost like Sony's marketshare from the previous gen was split 50/50 between them and Microsoft once Microsoft went for their marketshare by courting third parties a year early. Sony had sold over 150 PS3's. Microsoft's numbers from the previous gen were astronomical compared to what they were used to. They literally share between them around the numbers of what the PS2 sold which is slightly over what the PS2 ultimately sold.

PS2+Xbox = PS3+360, or as close to it as makes no difference. Basically there was zero growth in the PS/Xbox market in the 7th gen, just a shuffling of the cards. It's looking likely that we'll get a similar thing this gen, though I'm picking a decline in the PS/Xbox market, partly because MS won't stick out this generation as long as they did the previous generation.

While people might point out that a large amount of PS2 sales came after the 7th gen started, the PS2 was only active in the market for about the same length of time as PS360, and PS360 had much more time in the market without any nexgen competition. I think this gen PS4bone might aggregate to 150 million, but I don't think it will do better than that, with PS4 being roughly 100 million of that total. So I think it will be the smallest PS/Xbox generation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Protendo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Just to let you know...Sony is courting back a lot of gamers who had Playstations the generation previously before. 

Keep telling yourself that. I have seen quite a few X360 loyalists convert.

While it is undoubtedly true that some XBox traditionalists will have gone with PS4 this gen (the DRM debacle took care of that), these people aren't Sony's main target. Former PS2/1 owners who left PS last gen are a much easier segment to bring back into the fold. It is also no doubt the case that some PS3 owners will go with Xb one this gen. Not many, but there will be some.

Jimi Hendrix

Azzanation said:
This is not something I want to hear. Its ok to remaster games when they need to be remastered however that's not what's happening. We are being resold the same games as last gens as simply cross overs. TLOU-RM and GOW3 are nothing more then 1080p/60frame versions.

Those using the excuse of those gamers who have missed out is complete BS. Most gamers last gen ended up with both consoles and even if some didn't get the chance to play those games, they can also go out and buy a PS3 and the games at a much cheaper price. Its not like these consoles and games are obsolete.

What I don't get is that most gamers have kept there PS3s because the PS4 isn't BC. So why would they want to buy the games again on PS4? And why should they invest to buy a expensive console when there's a much cheaper alternative in the PS3?

The sad part is instead of these devs focusing on newer ideas and sequels, they are wasting there time and resources delivering games most of the world have already played.

This is why BC is important. Even though many don't use it, it helps push devs into creating newer experiences.

What a load of steaming bullshit.

Most people last gen ended up with both systems? In what world has that been the case?

They could go out and buy a PS3 or they just buy a PS4 and are set for the next couple years.

Who says that the people buying the remasters on PS4 are mainly people that owned them on PS3? Sony has said several times that a large number of people that own a PS4 never owned PS3. And people are buying a PS4 due to it being the better system and again for being set for the future.

The sad part is that you don't get how any of this works, these remasters are not made by their original studios aside from TLOU:R and from a financing sense they can actually help with creating new games as those remaster projects are simple and cheap ways to get a decent return on investment which can then be put into other projects.

And because of BC I guess all future remasters on X1 are now cancelled... oh wait.

Seriously you and half of the rest of this thread should just shut up about this topic cause you are either completely talking out of your asses or just trying to push another type of "Sony and the PS4 are so horrible"-agenda.

Goddam, Dr. Nebel! That guy must have really struck a nerve!

d21lewis said:
Goddam, Dr. Nebel! That guy must have really struck a nerve!

More like him and this stupid old discussion getting over 300 replies again.

Azzanation said:
This is not something I want to hear. Its ok to remaster games when they need to be remastered however that's not what's happening. We are being resold the same games as last gens as simply cross overs. TLOU-RM and GOW3 are nothing more then 1080p/60frame versions

If you already have those games in their original version and are happy with that version: just keep it, ignore the new version, save your money and be happy.

If you already have those games in their original version but would like to switch to the prettier version (sometimes with additional content, photo mode, new achievements/trophies, commentaries...): just sell your old version (the earlier after the announcement the better) and wait at least for the first price cut of the new version; the upcharge will be minimal, in some cases you even make a small profit by switching to the better version.

If you don't have those games and the old version is good enough for you: just buy that, save a few bucks and be happy about making a good deal (due to the new version, the prices of the old version will fall, so that deal will become even better).

If you don't have those games and you want the prettier version: just buy that and be happy about the game and the enhancements. If have some other games to play in your backlog: wait at least for the first price cut.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a game or a version you don't want. If the remaster seems overpriced to you: just wait until the price has come down to a level which seems fair to you... it will happen rather sooner than later.