By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest Franchises of JAPAN (Tier Listing)! Also Splatoon, Can It Potentially Be 1 of The Top 10 Franchises in Japan?

Samus Aran said:
StarOcean said:
@Title No, Splatoon cannot and will not. This whole explosion of hope for the game reminds me when people thought MK8 would make the Wii U competitive in the west it isn't going to happen, people are really creating unrealostic expectations for this IP.

Splatoon has been shattering every expectation so far and has been serving sour grapes since E3 2014 (not refering to you here).

Still has yet to shatter mine. Some make it seem like this is the new Mario or Pokemon destined to sell 50million per game. It isn't. It makes sense it'd sell well, it has good marketing and a game in the summer with little to no competition, it selling well really isn't a surprise. If it was sold during the holiday season the numbers would look quite different.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Samus Aran said:
StarOcean said:
@Title No, Splatoon cannot and will not. This whole explosion of hope for the game reminds me when people thought MK8 would make the Wii U competitive in the west it isn't going to happen, people are really creating unrealostic expectations for this IP.

Splatoon has been shattering every expectation so far and has been serving sour grapes since E3 2014 (not refering to you here).

Still has yet to shatter mine. Some make it seem like this is the new Mario or Pokemon destined to sell 50million per game. It isn't. It makes sense it'd sell well, it has good marketing and a game in the summer with little to no competition, it selling well really isn't a surprise. If it was sold during the holiday season the numbers would look quite different.

Splatoon will get a nice boost during the holiday season. :)

The game is tracking ahead of Mario Kart in Japan, that's huge.

endy.G said:
not sure, why you put zelda in c tier only
spaltoon is just game so far. lets wait how this will turn out

Yeah it should be lower. It sells closer to God Eater. Mario Party could be higher if we ignore the last couple of games.

Samus Aran said:
StarOcean said:
Samus Aran said:
StarOcean said:

Splatoon will get a nice boost during the holiday season. :)

The game is tracking ahead of Mario Kart in Japan, that's huge.

Which MK would that be? If you're referring to the Wii or DS MK, that's huge, but if you're referring the one of the worst selling titles in the series, then... that becomes significantly less interesting.

StarOcean said:

Which MK would that be? If you're referring to the Wii or DS MK, that's huge, but if you're referring the one of the worst selling titles in the series, then... that becomes significantly less interesting.

Because the Wii U userbase is low, not because of anything the games did (wrong). They're on the same console, so perfectly fine to compare.

This would be like Star Ocean all of a sudden selling like FF in Japan. It's huge and will become bigger in the future.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
tbone51 said:

Nowadays, GTA is bigger than Resident Evil. GTA V has sold over 1 million. Even if you don't agree with it being bigger than Resident Evil, it is still at the very least B tier. CoD isn't under 400k, it is over. It should be bordeline C.

Edited OP, Also can you givefigures for Last/Couple COD games? I dont remember 400k+ but i'll put it in borderline

Samus Aran said:
StarOcean said:

Because the Wii U userbase is low, not because of anything the games did (wrong). They're on the same console, so perfectly fine to compare.

This would be like Star Ocean all of a sudden selling like FF in Japan. It's huge and will become bigger in the future.

The difference here is that the Wii U is not a good indicator of future success. It is mostly comprised of people who really like Nintendo versus the X1 and PS4 with have a more equal casual/dedicated fanbase. So success on the Wii U really doesn't convince me of anything. Many games also sell biggest on their first title, there is nothing to suggest that won't be the case here either. That's part of why I entered this thread, it's ridiculous to predict a series size before it even has a sequel to compare to. 

I think Monster Hunter and Pokemon need to be in their own teir above Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest for biggest current franchises.
As a franchise they are currently significantly bigger in Japan even if individual game sales are similar.
Animal crossing has thus far only been able to prove that it can sell one big game a generation, while Pokemon and Monster Hunter have proven over the past few generations that they can sell many big games every generation. If the new Animal Crossing game on the 3ds ends up selling really well then I would say Animal Crossing is of similar popularity to Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

Franchise 3ds sales

Pokemon  - 8.06mil
Dragon Quest - 3.41mil
Animal Crossing - 4.1mil
Monster Hunter - 7.94mil

StarOcean said:
Samus Aran said:
StarOcean said:

The difference here is that the Wii U is not a good indicator of future success. It is mostly comprised of people who really like Nintendo versus the X1 and PS4 with have a more equal casual/dedicated fanbase. So success on the Wii U really doesn't convince me of anything. Many games also sell biggest on their first title, there is nothing to suggest that won't be the case here either. That's part of why I entered this thread, it's ridiculous to predict a series size before it even has a sequel to compare to. 

Yeah, but splatoon doing this extremely well for a game on a limited userbase practically shows how scary this would do on an actual system that sells or on a HH.

If this were on 3DS as well it would most likely be over 2mil by now in japan.

Persona is gonna secure itself a spot on that list once number 5 is out.