By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What really is the greatest Mario game ever?

Main Series: 3. I still recall loving that from that one christmas day onwards. (Also got Bases Loaded 3 that same day. It recieved much less love)

Offshoots: RPG. Who needs a rain dance when you can have a marshmallow cry?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

Smrpg, It was my first game and I enjoyed it alot. One of my favorite rpgs.

ITs a tie for me between MArio Galaxy and Super mario world, they were both great games and I cant decide which

Super Mario Land 2, with the first appearance of Wario. Just excellent design. So many different areas, great powerups and a nice change of pace from fighting Bowser all the time. By far the greatest final castle design ever. The game was truly challenging also, so for anyone who hasn't played this gem and can get their hands on a used copy or a Gameboy emulator I urge you to play this.

Super Mario World is my runner-up. Superhero Mario is the greatest powerup ever in my mind. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I think I have to go with Super Mario World. The controls are absolutely flawless, the level design is fantastic, the secrets and re-playable areas give it a jump on SMB3, and I can still go back and play it any time to this day and thoroughly enjoy it. A true masterpiece.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

Super Mario RPG.

Geno will MAKE you see stars. ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Super Mario Galaxy is the best mario game ever?

-best music, most diverse levels, best gameplay.

However nostalgia is a very powerful thing and thats why most people will go back to super mario world, Bros. 3, or 64 and say it's the best (and i don't blame em)

Super Mario Bros 3

Mario 64 close 2nd

Galaxy is WAY overrated

Riot Of The Blood said:

Mario Galaxy was poorly made for a Mario game.

Nice flamebait.  And please spare me the "Its just my opinion!" speech. Your wording (and post history) reveal your motives quite nicely.  Just leave the thread if you can't play nice with others.

@topic, 

This is definitely a tough choice since all of the main series games have been great games (yes even Sunshine).  Personally I would split it up a bit SMB3 was probably my favorite sidescroller Mario game and SMG was probably the best 3D mario game although it does have the unfair advantage of being the most recent 3D Mario. I think SMG stuck to the roots of Mario better than 64 or Sunshine did actually, the series has always been about creating amazingly fun platform scenarios and no matter what skin you put on the game (space, desert, forest, etc..) fun platforming is what its all about and  for my money SMG does that better than the other 3D Mario games.

To Each Man, Responsibility

We already had this thread.

Super Mario Bros. 3 schooled every other Mario game.  Hard.