By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What really is the greatest Mario game ever?

While I thought Mario Galaxy was an amazing game in many ways, I prefer the big open levels of Sunshine over the tight-path linear levels of Galaxy heavily. Then again, I was one of those who really enjoyed Sunshine while I didn't like Mario 64 at all.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

Whatever the mario game on the SNES was, that was the best one, with Mario3 in second. I would say Galaxy was the worst Mario game i have ever played, the controls and camera were just really bad.

How were SMG's controls bad Griffin?

And I think anyone that makes the camera out to be a major gripe is just aching to find something wrong with it.

I beat the game with Mario and Luigi and I think I came to an awkward camera moment once, in which case I just pressed C and it was all sorted..

I would have to go with Super Mario 64. Super Mario Galaxy was amazing, but I guess that Super Mario 64 just had a bigger impact on me.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

SMB3.

Kuribo's Shoe.
That fortress that you climbed up into the clouds for Sky Land.
Tanooki Suit.
Frog Suit.
Hammer Bros. Suit.
First Mario to have FLIGHT.
P Switches.
Warp whistles.
First Mario to have a map.
Fortresses, Thwomps, Dry Bones, Boos.
The Koopa Kids.
Airships.
Getting attacked by the sun and killing it with a turtle shell.
Giant Land.
Pipe Land.
Card games.
Multiplayer min-games.
Mushroom houses: "Pick a box. Its contents will help you on your way."

And the best level design of any 2-D platformer ever made. Best secrets too.

Around the Network

smb3 was really cool I remenber playing it on the gba as Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 and world was also good I have been playing galaxy and I think is okay for a mario game but the real masterpiece imo is super mario 64 it was my favorite n64 game.

Super Mario Bros. 3 = Hard to beat perfection! :P

Seriously, it's 3 because it had the great atmosphere in its levels and the music is awesome. Overall, the best because of nostalgia, I guess.

The BuShA owns all!

SeriousWB said:

And I think anyone that makes the camera out to be a major gripe is just aching to find something wrong with it.

I beat the game with Mario and Luigi and I think I came to an awkward camera moment once, in which case I just pressed C and it was all sorted..

The fact that Mario never wanted to go where he was told to go, the fact that the camera was never where i wanted it. Now R&C on the PS3 had near perfect controls and a great camera.

Once I read a review that said SMB3 was the jazz of platforming games. Everything was backwards and perfect. Miyamoto was just playing G-d. You'd run at a brick in the desert, and it would JUMP at you because there was a tiny goomba hidden inside. Platforming bliss.

Super Mario World added a million things to the series, but the jump from 2 to 3 was bigger than the jump from 3 to World.

Griffin said:
SeriousWB said:

The fact that Mario never wanted to go where he was told to go, the fact that the camera was never where i wanted it. Now R&C on the PS3 had near perfect controls and a great camera.

Fact? If it were a fact I'm sure I would've had the same problem, everyone would've had that problem.  However it is a fact that most reviewers regarded the controls highly.  Perhaps you just weren't good with the gravity/platformers?