By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon US August monthly bestsellers and general Amazon based discussion

celador said:

MS could do a lot of things, but no matter what they do I don't think Sony should stay still much longer. The console was making profit over a year ago and has recently had it's production costs lessened again, so I don't think Sony will have to compromise between install base and profit too much. Throw in a plus subscription and a game and they will still make money on each purchase. Whatever happens it should be an interesting time for sales.

TLOU has clearly made more than enough profit and as we've seen it's already been packed in a lot of bundles for free. With Driveclub now being touted as a service, I can see that also as a candidate for a free pack it. So I reckon a TLOUR/Driveclub bundle is a shoe in for this Christmas and beyond. An Uncharted: A Thief's End/The Nathan Drake Collection seems a no brainer for next year. I was always of the opinion Sony would roll with bundles instead of a price cut but I just sense there's something in the air with the release of the new model and 1TB version. I think there is now a big possibility the 1TB will be priced at the current price and the new model could get a price drop. We'll see, but at the end of the day it's not really about winning, it's about hitting your targets and if Sony believe they can hit their targets without a price drop, that's what they'll do.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
sabvre42 said:
Pionner said:

It's bromerica man. Halo will sell, and halo will carry the holidays for MS. Its not forza, gears remaster, or tomb raider that will sell xboxs this holiday season.

Sony will need to firesale for any hope to maintain the us gap.

Yup, i believe Halo 5 will sell 3.75 million by end of year in the US.

2 million in October

1 million in November

750k in December

How much of that will be attached to Xb one sales. There will surely be a number of current Xb one owners who will get the Halo LE bundle, because its Halo and they must have the special bundle. But Many Halo fans already have Xb one surely. Halo 5 could boost Xb one sales in the USA by 1 million between launch and 1 January, perhaps? If the PS4 lead isn't over 1 million by the time Halo 5 hits then Xb one can take the lead in the USA. Question is will that be temporary or permanent?

Halo 5 is MS's biggest gun for Xb one sales in the USA by a large margin over other IP. The next Halo game won't have the same effect and Gears 4 won't either (because of the significant cross fanbase cross over between Halo and Gears).

I don't think a $50 price cut for PS4 is worth it to try to counter Halo 5. They'd be better off doing a $100 price cut next year, when they aren't going up against Xbox's biggest system selling game of the generation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Yup, i believe Halo 5 will sell 3.75 million by end of year in the US.

2 million in October

1 million in November

750k in December

How much of that will be attached to Xb one sales. There will surely be a number of current Xb one owners who will get the Halo LE bundle, because its Halo and they must have the special bundle. But Many Halo fans already have Xb one surely. Halo 5 could boost Xb one sales in the USA by 1 million between launch and 1 January, perhaps? If the PS4 lead isn't over 1 million by the time Halo 5 hits then Xb one can take the lead in the USA. Question is will that be temporary or permanent?

Halo 5 is MS's biggest gun for Xb one sales in the USA by a large margin over other IP. The next Halo game won't have the same effect and Gears 4 won't either (because of the significant cross fanbase cross over between Halo and Gears).

I don't think a $50 price cut for PS4 is worth it to try to counter Halo 5. They'd be better off doing a $100 price cut next year, when they aren't going up against Xbox's biggest system selling game of the generation.

I Want be Shor: NO.

There is no way for XBO to Beat PS4 this year in the US. The gap is already 770k, and no, XBO can't Beat PS4 by 800k October to November.

celador said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

If they don't drop the price, I'm sure it's because they don't want to agitate Microsoft into doing something extremely desperate. MS is already at a point where not only is the price of the XB1 bundles cut, but they're throwing in free controllers, extra games, gift cards, giving free access to EA Access and whatnot. Walmart's free Xbox One extras seems to have turned into a permanent deal, for example. http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=xbox%20one&typeahead=xbo

MS is willing to race Sony to the bottom, where as Sony seems to want to stay profitable. Everything is riding on Halo 5 for the future of the Xbox One. To challenge that could end up being costlier than they expect in the long run. A beleagered MS could just say, "screw it" and either eat losses like crazy by going full fire sale, or, worst case scenario, they go nuts and try to jump start a new gen early deciding they can take the hit on another go around. Reapeating the process they did last gen with the 360. Go in early and cut deals to try and cripple Sony again.

MS's current goal, according to Michael Pachter, who's quoting MS brass, and even Phil Spencer himself, is to "win". Win in quotes because that means they're really only concerned with the US/UK market right now. My guess is to create a cascading effect of word of mouth from the English speaking world toward Xbox One. But Sony has to do something. Having a competitor gain ground in a market is one thing, but, not trying to expand your potential consumer base with an accessible retail price is another.

MS could do a lot of things, but no matter what they do I don't think Sony should stay still much longer. The console was making profit over a year ago and has recently had it's production costs lessened again, so I don't think Sony will have to compromise between install base and profit too much. Throw in a plus subscription and a game and they will still make money on each purchase. Whatever happens it should be an interesting time for sales.

1TB PS4 at $399 is a value increase, which is a virtual price cut. It has no where near the same effect as an actual price cut, but it's not standing still.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Angelv577 said:
The batman bundle still is in the top 6 even after a month. Sony really made a good decision with that marketing deal.

Sony has been really smart with all their third party marketing deals. I can't think of one they've wasted yet.

Around the Network

Some big gaps in software. Fallout 4 versions have a difference of almost 40 places in favour of PS4, and the MGSV X1version isn't even in the top 100. Unsurprisingly, shooters like Battlefront and CoD have differences of less than ten places. I know this isn't new, but it is still worth noting.

Teeqoz said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Not gonna happen, and you know this.

Probably not, but it would've done insane numbers if it did.

Actually, since Sony's press conference for PGW and Halo 5's launch is on the same day, I think it would be funny as hell if they ended it with, "Oh, and by the way,  PS4 is now $299."  Talk about taking the wind out of MS's sails.  I do think they plan to cut the price of the PS4 sometime this FY, since they expect to ship so many, but doubt it will be a full $100.

thismeintiel said:

Actually, since Sony's press conference for PGW and Halo 5's launch is on the same day

How...convenient.

Protendo said:
thismeintiel said:

Actually, since Sony's press conference for PGW and Halo 5's launch is on the same day

How...convenient.

Lol, I know.  There's no way that's a coincidence.  Sony has some big announcement(s) to try and counteract Halo.

thismeintiel said:

Lol, I know.  There's no way that's a coincidence.  Sony has some big announcement(s) to try and counteract Halo.

Yes, it's something everyone seems to have overlooked. As soon as I saw the dates I realised Sony picked this for more than one reason. There's something big coming to Paris Games Week.

The PS5 Exists.