By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony Pictures having the worse year in 9 years!

generic-user-1 said:
they can be happy that they made any money with the shit movies they made...
they need to fire alot of people, a fuckn lot. they ave enough IPs and money to pump ut 3-4 good blockbusters a year, they just have to stop hireing total idiots. ohh and the person that hired M. Night Shyamalan should be sued,
that was an inside ob to kill sony pictures

This is funny cause Sony Pictures lost money this quarter

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
generic-user-1 said:
they can be happy that they made any money with the shit movies they made...
they need to fire alot of people, a fuckn lot. they ave enough IPs and money to pump ut 3-4 good blockbusters a year, they just have to stop hireing total idiots. ohh and the person that hired M. Night Shyamalan should be sued,
that was an inside ob to kill sony pictures

This is funny cause Sony Pictures lost money this quarter

so there is a god after all?

Mystro-Sama said:
Wow, did Pixels bomb that hard?

Pixels isn't included as the figures only include films released upto the end of June.

Sony is fine they set most of there films for the end of year (Spectre, Hotel Transyvania 2) as with JW and AoU it's not worth competing.

Paramount, Fox and WB have also had mostly low returns so far this year.

Looking over films listed there for 2015 I see a trend of lower budget releases relatively in Hollywood these days. None of those seem poised for huge numbers, with maybe Chappie having possible modest success.

We live in an era of franchises, and Sony's big two (Bond and Spider-Man) are absent for this time frame. We all know Spectre is what they are betting everything on and guessing Marvel/Disney deal with Spider-Man will get them some money (I don't know specifics).

On flip side Universal is killing it at box office, mainly thanks to major franchises. People complain about them, but when that is what is making money I don't blame studios for pushing them.

I feel bad for Sony, I have a friend that works there and he said things have not been the same since the hack. 

Around the Network
kumagawa said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Wow, did Pixels bomb that hard?

Pixels isn't included as the figures only include films released upto the end of June.

Sony is fine they set most of there films for the end of year (Spectre, Hotel Transyvania 2) as with JW and AoU it's not worth competing.

Paramount, Fox and WB have also had mostly low returns so far this year.

WB actually has had a good year so far this year they are third highest in marketshare and Fox is fourth highest.  Paramount hasn't had a very good year so far but they are still doing better then Sony they are 5th highest so far and what should be their highest grossing movie of the year is being released today.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/

MoHasanie said:
That's not good. But Spectre will make more than a billion dollars so that should help them.

Don't think it will make nearly as much plus with the Bond movies most of the profits go to other companies besides Sony its produced by Eon Productions which isn't owned by Sony its a co production with MGM which is not 100% owned by Sony and once it hits home video all the rights belong to 20th Century Fox. 

It does involve a lot of smart decisions at the executive levels. Kevin Feige does a fine job although recent releases like AoU and Ant-man have had diminishing returns for investment,

They still got Spectre coming later this year. And don't forget Inferno which should do good too.

the_real_dsister44 said:
Gilgamesh said:

I expect atleast a billion out of Spectre

Since Spectre is a group project they would have to split the gross three ways

And when it hits home video the right go to 20th Century Fox.