By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 7 remake's combat will have "dramatic changes"

Are you excited to see the combat system change?

Yes 112 28.94%

I will wait and see 130 33.59%

No 145 37.47%

Total:387
Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't low completion %s for games like GTA and Red Dead kind of obvious? A lot of people just like messing around in those worlds or playing the multiplayer (also why COD completion %s are often so low). With a game like FF there isn't really much to do aside from playing through the game, particularly the case with 13 where most of the side content isn't really doable until after you've completed it.

Why are we sidetracking this much anyways? I actually enjoyed 13 and completed it twice myself, I think it does show a pretty clear decline in quality compared to when Square were at their prime, but I did think it was a step up from 12 at the very least.

No it really isn't ... 

If you like a game, you'll generally beat it regardless because the high end experience of a console game comes from none other than it's campaign/single player/story etc ... 

I too enjoyed FFXIII and vastly preferred it over FFXII and much like you thought it was an improvement over it's last installment but it's premature to call it a "clear" decline when it sold respectable numbers for a series ... 

But let's stop here since this is getting nowhere like you said ...

Around the Network

Luckily, all signs seem to point to turn based elements still being in the FF7 remake.

The reason I say this is because SE said they want to help Sony sell more PS4's in Japan with FF7..and they know that in order to do that, and for Japan to trust SE, FF7 has to be turn based. Japan is even more traditionalist than the US. Japan gave FF7 over 3 million in sales, they would be stupid to ignore that.

There's also the article this topic is about. Nomura said the game will still be recognizable and it won't be like a shooter..although I'm not sure Nomura realizes how pandering that is. Obviously it wouldn't make a lick of sense for this to be anything like a shooter..it's like Nomura is a step behind in his thinking; unless he really is that dense which I wouldn't put past him. Not very reassuring, yet somewhat assuring; it's hard to tell.

One more thing, DQXI will have turn based mechanics so they aren't completely dense when it comes to understanding what regions prefer what with certain products. I just hope they realize this also applies to FF7. Maybe their information gathering has improved.

Lube Me Up

fatslob-:O said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I'm not quite sure you can just call it an 'angry mob' when it seems to be the overwhelming majority. The prevailing opinion seems to be that Final Fantasy XIII just isn't very good, or at least not when compared to its predecessors. Sure there are some that really liked it but they seem to be few and far between.

Overwhelming majority ? The so called "prevailing" opinion only exists on the internet. Nearly none of the gaming community here represents what's reflected outside in the real world ...

For a 40-50 hour game that isn't "very good" it sports a 41% completion rate ... 

weird... I haven't talked to anybody in real life that liked it either... and I worked at best buy when that game came out and talked to quite a few people about it... but perhaps it is just a regional/internet bias and everybody else in the world loved it...

Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't low completion %s for games like GTA and Red Dead kind of obvious? A lot of people just like messing around in those worlds or playing the multiplayer (also why COD completion %s are often so low). With a game like FF there isn't really much to do aside from playing through the game, particularly the case with 13 where most of the side content isn't really doable until after you've completed it.

Why are we sidetracking this much anyways? I actually enjoyed 13 and completed it twice myself, I think it does show a pretty clear decline in quality compared to when Square were at their prime, but I did think it was a step up from 12 at the very least.

No it really isn't ... 

If you like a game, you'll generally beat it regardless because the high end experience of a console game comes from none other than it's campaign/single player/story etc ... 

I too enjoyed FFXIII and vastly preferred it over FFXII and much like you thought it was an improvement over it's last installment but it's premature to call it a "clear" decline when it sold respectable numbers for a series ... 

But let's stop here since this is getting nowhere like you said ...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/27/hitman-director-bummed-by-low-game-completion-rate.aspx

Apparently only 20% generally see games through to the end, give or take a few I'm guessing.

Lube Me Up

gergroy said:

weird... I haven't talked to anybody in real life that liked it either... and I worked at best buy when that game came out and talked to quite a few people about it... but perhaps it is just a regional/internet bias and everybody else in the world loved it...

I'm not saying everybody "loves" or "likes" it but it's clear that there is more shitflinging on the internet about it than there is in real life ...

The majority did not "love" it but neither did they "hate" it ...

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Unfortunately there haven't been many lately, kind of why FF7 retaining the turn based format is so important to me.

But some examples of good ones in recent years are: Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, South Park Stick of Truth, Child of Light, Bravely Default, Persona 4 Golden (and hopefully Persona 5 too), Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga & probably some more I can't think of right now. Ok, some of those aren't AAA but they were all highly rated and well received by fans. And there is also Xcom too, not an RPG but it still uses a good turn based battle system.

XCom is a real good example of a deeply strategic turn-based game (even if it's not a RPG). I would spend so much time figuring out the perfect move but pulling off a perfect mission where your whole team survives was so satisfying.

Agreed. I didn't play the original Xcom games until they were already abandonware but even then enjoyed the style of them. So for the franchise to get a reboot as good as that and be successful enough to keep it going while retaining what made the originals good was really awesome!

I kind of wish more games had Xcom kind of gameplay though. I think it would work really well in other settings too rather than just humans vs aliens all the time.

That's actually a really good example. If FFVII-R incorporated elements of Xcoms strategic system, I think that would be a plus. It might have to be quicker (smaller battle arenas) but that could work quite nicely.

gergroy said:

I'm not saying everybody "loves" or "likes" it but it's clear that there is more shitflinging on the internet about it than there is in real life ...

The majority did not "love" it but neither did they "hate" it ...

I'm pretty sure most the people I talked to have used words like hate and it sucked to describe their feelings of the game.  I finished 13 but I still think it sucked.  Basically, the point is there is an actual large descrepancy between what most people think of the game and it's metacritic score.  I mean, you even said it yourself, the majority didn't love it, but the metacritic score would imply that it is a pretty dang good game...

Nem said:

I think you went on a tangent there. This isnt about the FF series, its about FF7. You said its combat system was similar to XIII and i disagreed.

But yeah... again this idea that taking turns is "stupid". I guess chess is stupid, i guess risk is stupid, checkers are stupid, every board or card game is stupid. Why? Because it doesnt fit your preconception of everything needing to be the same? Games are about fun, not about realism, something that seems to be forgotten these days. Strategy games exist, civilization exists and isnt "stupid" for using turns. Tactics games exist and use turns and they arent "stupid". JRPG's with turn based have existed for the longest time and they aren't "stupid".

What is "stupid" is the concept that every game must conform to reality and not be its own thing. There are many limitations to ARPG's aswell, beeing the main that you can only control one character at a time. This disconnects you from the rest of the cast alot more. Also, i'm sure they could use the envyronment aswell in ATB if they wanted. There is a defend option that can be used for the same purpose. It can just as easily be programmed for the character to run behing cover. Is it that important that you manually move your character there?

If we go by this logic, every game must be an action game. Things would get boring faster than they already do. FF7 does not represent the future of the FF series. It represents the past. I don't understand the urge to gut it like a fish and make it something its not.

Games are about fun and an ARPG is way more interesting than a turn-based one ...

No one's asking every game to conform to reality. It just makes more sense in FF's case to have an intuitive combat system. Been able to control only one character at a time is not a HARD limit. Sure it's harder to control multiple characters in an ARPG but some of them can allow you to customize the AI to your liking or you can send out individual commands in a frozen tactical mode. 

As you may have already realised, your opinion is not fact. Just because you think its more interesting, it doesnt mean that it is for everyone.

If you dont find turn-based interesting, i dont understand why you want this remake in the first place. What you want is a reboot.

Nem said:

As you may have already realised, your opinion is not fact. Just because you think its more interesting, it doesnt mean that it is for everyone.

If you dont find turn-based interesting, i dont understand why you want this remake in the first place. What you want is a reboot.

A reboot changes everything including the story ... 

That doesn't mean I don't want a little of bit reimaging ...

gergroy said:

I'm pretty sure most the people I talked to have used words like hate and it sucked to describe their feelings of the game.  I finished 13 but I still think it sucked.  Basically, the point is there is an actual large descrepancy between what most people think of the game and it's metacritic score.  I mean, you even said it yourself, the majority didn't love it, but the metacritic score would imply that it is a pretty dang good game...

Biased sample much ? If you hate FFXIII then you will most likely end up hanging around with people that thought it sucked, plain and simple ... 

What people on the internet think of a good game =/= What the ENTIRE gaming population think of a good game ... 

What I exactly said is "the majority did not "love" it but neither did they "hate" it", in otherwords the majority are INDIFFERENT about it and that's just about the case with the majority of the games out there that found moderately high success. I never once believed in metascores or critics to be the end all be all for defining quality and I certainly won't take a stranger's words on the internet either as a measure of quality ... 

A better way to measure satisfaction is through either buying habits or playing habits and FFXIII delivered on both those fronts ...