By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 7 remake's combat will have "dramatic changes"

Are you excited to see the combat system change?

Yes 112 28.94%

I will wait and see 130 33.59%

No 145 37.47%

Total:387

Well damn. True to its word "remake". He is trying to make the game his by changing it. Kinda pissed but let's see what happens...

Around the Network
DerNebel said:

Updating the game for the modern market, remaking something has never strictly been about just making it look new and shiny.

Also Nomura hasn't even said ARPG, that's again just what people jumped to without any information on how things will actually change.

No? Looking at what few actual remakes we get, usually gameplay is the same. Pokemon games never change, Resident Evil HD thing that came out is pretty much the same game, I mean it's no over the shoulder like modern Resident Evil games, it's still fixed camera. Oddworld New'n'tasty was basically the same game but they changed it from being screens to a single platformer, this is changing with the times. Removing the main basic gameplay of FF7 isn't.

Oh, I know, Nomura hasn't said that but still means I can't think the worst. :P

Hmm, pie.

There are so many ARPGs out there, I don't see why this game needs to become one, too. I most likely will not get the game if it's like FF13 or 15, since part of the charm of FF7 for me was the turn-based combat with the ATB. I really enjoy it. I do not care enough about the game's story or characters, especially now that Cloud's new/recent look is so feminine, to buy the game again if it has ARPG combat.

At least I can still rely on Dragon Quest and Atlus to provide me with some great, traditional turn-based games.

Hi

Teeqoz said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I don't think anyone is assuming it will be one...it is more so people saying they hope it is not another one. Which I agree with.

There is one... It certainly seems so at least...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7452805

Oh well....I retract my statement then lol

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

The Fury said:
DerNebel said:

Updating the game for the modern market, remaking something has never strictly been about just making it look new and shiny.

Also Nomura hasn't even said ARPG, that's again just what people jumped to without any information on how things will actually change.

No? Looking at what few actual remakes we get, usually gameplay is the same. Pokemon games never change, Resident Evil HD thing that came out is pretty much the same game, I mean it's no over the shoulder like modern Resident Evil games, it's still fixed camera. Oddworld New'n'tasty was basically the same game but they changed it from being screens to a single platformer, this is changing with the times. Removing the main basic gameplay of FF7 isn't.

Oh, I know, Nomura hasn't said that but still means I can't think the worst. :P

Which he said they'll do where exactly?

Most remakes change or tweak gameplay in some way (Pokemon may not do that but Pokemon never changes gameplay anyway and RE HD is a remaster) especially if it's games that are as old as this one with mechanics that the own dev doesn't use anymore, it's just that most devs don't go out and make comments like this beforehand, which btw. could be the usual developer hyperbole anyway, like when devs say that remasters give drastic improvements to games for example.

Wait and see before throwing a hissy fit

Around the Network
twintail said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
Well damn. True to its word "remake". He is trying to make the game his by changing it. Kinda pissed but let's see what happens...

Nomura already said back after the E3 reveal that the whole point of remake was to remake it. He said that if you wanted to play FF7 in its original form you can just tick to the original version of the game. he doesnt just want to make the same game but look better. 

and frankly, I am down with that. Do something new with it, it doesnt take away from the original at all. just dont screw it up.

Thats the problem, I dont see how they wont screw it up.  But, Im willing to wait and see and hold in how much I really do not want them to fuck with it.

DerNebel said:

Most remakes change or tweak gameplay in some way (Pokemon may not do that but Pokemon never changes gameplay anyway and RE HD is a remaster) especially if it's games that are as old as this one with mechanics that the own dev doesn't use anymore, it's just that most devs don't go out and make comments like this beforehand, which btw. could be the usual developer hyperbole anyway, like when devs say that remasters give drastic improvements to games for example.

RE HD Remaster is a remaster of a remake. If I wanted the FF7 Remaster, I'd buy FF7 that's coming out on PS4 later this year. That is a remaster. When people remake a game I expect at least the same gameplay even if the graphics are made amazing. Again, look at New'n'Tasty, that is a remake, the games the same yet graphics are new and pretty. They aren't just taking the same game and tweeking the settings a little, they remade it.

My main point isn't about what he said, it's about what others are saying in this thread how they'd like it more as an ARPG, instead of the actual gameplay of FF7. I think that's silly else it wouldn't be FF7.

twintail said:

and frankly, I am down with that. Do something new with it, it doesnt take away from the original at all. just dont screw it up.

There lies the issue, hard to do. Might as well just release the original with some modern anti-aliasing... they are already doing that however.  

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
DerNebel said:

It's a remaster of a remake. When it was originally released on Gamecube it was very much a remake.

Yes made at a time where the whole Resident Evil series, as far as I'm aware, still played like that.

Also I heard that the HD Remaster changed the tank controls so I'd say that constitutes a gameplay change.

And again, this should probably be mainly addressed to you since you seem the most offended by what Nomura said, wait until you see the freaking thing before getting so bent out of shape over this.

As long they are not changes in to full action like FF XV then i am fine. I guess they would change into hybrid turn based but with a little action style.

It would look stupid if they just use ATB with realistic graphic, if they try to bring the action from Advent Children then they need to make a little bit of action, but i hope the core is still turn based or at least has an option like Fallout or FF XII. Well i preffer like Xenoblade  or FF 12.

After all they need to make games mainstream as possible without leaving the old fans. I guess i have to see first before complaint because it's to early to complain.

vivster said:
It's a remake in 2015 after all. Why still holding back your actual vision for the game?

damn we got a winner here , i like this post.