By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 7 remake's combat will have "dramatic changes"

Are you excited to see the combat system change?

Yes 112 28.94%

I will wait and see 130 33.59%

No 145 37.47%

Total:387
DerNebel said:
WC4Life said:
Why would anyone ask something they truly love to be made something else. "I love FF7, please Square for 18 years I have hoped you would make it something else!!". Thinking like that don't make sense, especially when we all know FF7R is finally made thanks to years of vocal begging around the world.

Everyone that was asking for a Remake was of course asking for it to be made into something else, if you didn't want it to change then you'd just stick with the original. Better graphics, voice acting, free camera 3rd person view and no more random encounters are all things that I'd say most people were expecting and wanting from the Remake, but making changes to the combat system (changes that we don't know what they'll look like) is now somehow offlimit? That's what doesn't make sense to me.

How does that not make sense?  As you can see by the responses in this thread, there are a lot of people that like that style of combat.  Changing the first four things you mentioned is about what I was hoping for... But I really hate squares latest combat systems and if they make it anything like that... It will ruin it...

Around the Network
Nem said:
fatslob-:O said:

Auto-attack didn't do it for me and it sure as hell won't do it for a lot of others seeing as how I was one of the more seasoned RPG gamers that even had hurdles on EASY mode ... 

FFXIII took way more strategy than the last couple FF games and it also discouraged players from grinding too to make it more balanced ... (In fact I actually think that one of the main reasons why FFXIII is such a turn off is because it's harder than the average FF game since many would desire to be overly overpowered in a decent amount of time rather than finding themselves only been able to scrape by when halfway through the game.)

I do not find FFVII boring if anything it's one of my top 10 favourite games of all time and maybe even top 5 but even I know of it's dated mechanics and technical limitations too and I would most certainly not let it fly today when my standards are much higher today. I certainly did not make cries to try and get the remake like many others did but that does not mean I did not have a desire for it but Square should sell to new customers when you look at a franchise like mario trying to do just that to sustain itself ...

Why can't the game garner BOTH ?! Getting new people AND old fans isn't hard when it is the latter who will easily settle while the former is harder to appeal to. How would FFXIII's battle system be disrespectful for FFVII when they have more similarities than differences ? Just because it matches the original less doesn't mean it isn't FFVII when the original vision for it belongs to it's CREATORS and NOT it's first release ... 

Turn-based has had it's time to shine for 4 generations STRIAGHT already. Turn-based isn't popular on consoles anymore so it's time to get with the program otherwise SE will find themselves in a harder spot since staying true to the shrinking original fanbase will get them nowhere ... 

Oh hell no! FF7's combat system is nothing like FFXIII.

You know, the problem is that you identify turn based as something old and archaic when its much more than that. Turn based is strategic, something that action doesnt do very well. Action is more about reflexes and turn based is more about planning. Both can be extremely enjoyable and i find it difficult to understand why one is evolved and the other isnt. There are still plenty of big turn-based games and FF is a series that has only lost popularity by abondening the system. Still, i can understand why they would do it, but i think they have disserviced themselves and their fans.

Regardless, that is not the problem here. FF7 has a legacy, and i dont see why that should be tarnished when the same wasnt applied to remakes of past FF titles.  If they change what makes it FF7, they may aswell call it FF17.

cannot agree more every new FF game is like a big middle finger to the series fans

The Fury said:
Maybe they forget that the reason the game was playable and not boring with a story was because of the gameplay? Change that gameplay it's not the same game.

Meh, let them mess it up, I'll buy it used.

I'll go one step further and just pirate it for pc if they are total tools and royally screw it up

Wait and see for gameplay, have 2 years before it comes out.

A preemptive strike with a petition should do the job. Just have it say, do not change the games battle system from turn based. Someone make it i will sign it.

Around the Network

Nem said:

Why would you do that to me Wright? Werent 2 FF's with that combat system enough? This is FF7, not FF13. >.<

All I can say is, imagine how cool would be using Barret as Support. >:D

Blag79 said:
A preemptive strike with a petition should do the job. Just have it say, do not change the games battle system from turn based. Someone make it i will sign it.

Meh, petitions never work... And square has consistently ignored what their fans want for a very long time...

.... ?

They are not making turn based with the grid system? ....

A bit bummed about this to be honest. Turn based RPG's really do need a comeback and the VII remake could have been the catalyst for this. Oh well, so long as it is a good game, I will still pick it up. Either way though, a bit disappointed.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Ka-pi96 said:
gergroy said:
Blag79 said:

Meh, petitions never work... And square has consistently ignored what their fans want for a very long time...

I dunno about that. Wasn't Lightning a big hit with their Japanese fans? Didn't the last Lightning game even have a dress up simulator for her or something? So some fans are getting what they want at least...

I guess... They also made her boobs bigger... So there is that...

For all the people saying turn-based isn't outdated, what would you consider a good example of a turn-based battle system in a modern AAA title?

Not saying I agree as I think a modernised, turn based system could still work for FFVII, but some examples would be nice.