By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - "The boxing world thinks Floyd Mayweather's next fight is a complete joke." Possible Rocky Story

The pathetic part is Hulk Hogan a fake athlete has recorded proof of being a piece of shit yet most of the populace are sucking him off about how the WWE is treating him unfair but a true gallant in boxing gets No respect even though all his accolades are true. But this the world we live in now

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Around the Network
tripenfall said:
Mayweather is boring to watch but nobody can deny he's one of the best of all time. He's a defensive fighter who's almost impossible to hit who knows how to get enough points to win a round. Good luck to him.
Don't forget the guy has names like Canelo, Coto, Ortiz, Pacquio, Hatton and Del La Hoya on his CV as beaten opponents. To say he's fought nobody is a joke frankly.
All these MMA fans who say Boxing is dead..... Name me one MMA fighter who can command a pay day like Floyd Mayweather?
I personally think he's picked a fight that's very winnable for him with an eye on a Pacquio rematch next year. I think he'll call that his last fight and attempt to get a 50-0 record and a massive farewell payday. After the first fight vs Manny was so subdued I don't think the hype will be as big as last time but if Manny has his shoulder fixed and most importantly is prepared to let his hands go and risk a KO himself then the fight can be amazing!

People blame Floyd but this is the reason why the fight was boring to them and its the same reason why Pac got beat.

pokoko said:
GTstation said:
He is a joke like most boxing, its corrupt and a joke. The way boxers are build means they fight bus majority of their careers, May just continued that practice through out.

Its hard to name any top opponent that was in their prime May ever fought, he always choose famous guys at the tail end of their careers.

It's ... actually not hard at all.

Castillo, Judah, Gatti, Hatton when he was undefeated, Marquez, Alvarez when he was the number 2 in that division.

If you're saying he shouldn't of fought De La Hoya, I don't know what to say, that's just silly.  Even Mosley earned his match by winning a title belt.

thank you shit man someone who actually knows what they're talking about 

Baalzamon said:
Hasn't been known for quite some time that Mayweather has specifically picked fighters that are either past their prime, or simply not as good?
This isn't saying the guy isn't a great fighter...after all, even beating the people he has beaten time and time again is an accomplishment.

Well, to be quite honest, most of the people saying that are just repeating forum posts by other people who are just repeating forum posts.  You ask most of these people for a detailed argument and it quickly becomes clear that they have no idea what they're talking about.

The other part of this is that all boxers take the fight which will benefit them the most.  Floyd Mayweather got dodged when he was an up and coming fighter.  It's not like he just invented the idea of picking your fight.  And, honestly, what Mayweather has done most of his career is go after fights with the most exposure and money on the line.  

The funny thing to me is that people will say, "ah but he didn't fight X until after X got beat."  What does that even mean?  How is he supposed to know that they're going to lose?  Whichever fight he picks, someone says he should have fought someone else.  I've even seen people accuse him to dodging guys who aren't even in his weight class.

Seriously, the Pacquiao controversy aside, who has he dodged?  95% of the people who make that claim cannot answer that question.

As far as the claim that he hasn't beaten anyone, that's simply not true.  Let's look at a few:

#1-ranked super featherweight Genaro Hernández
#1-ranked super featherweight and undefeated Diego Corrales
future IBF super featherweight titleholder Carlos Hernández
future super featherweight and lightweight titleholder Jesús Chávez (top-ranked contender)
World Boxing Council (WBC) champion and The Ring #1-ranked lightweight José Luis Castillo
Rematch against Castillo
#1-ranked contender Arturo Gatti
IBF welterweight titleholder Zab Judah, who actually held three more titles when the fight was made, but Judah lost to Baldomir
WBC and The Ring welterweight titleholder Carlos Baldomir
WBC light-middleweight titleholder Oscar De La Hoya (who actually held six belts at the time)
The Ring light welterweight champion and undefeated Ricky Hatton
The Ring lightweight champion and #2 pound-for-pound Juan Manuel Márquez
WBA super-welterweight titleholder and The Ring #3 pound-for-pound Shane Mosley
WBC welterweight champion and The Ring #2-ranked welterweight Victor Ortiz
WBA super welterweight champion and The Ring #1-ranked light middleweight Miguel Cotto
WBC interim welterweight champion, Ring No. 3 ranked welterweight, and the WBC's mandatory challenger Robert Guerrero
Ring No. 10 ranked pound for pound, WBC and WBA Super welterweight champion Saúl "Canelo" Álvarez 

So, yeah, the idea that Mayweather hasn't fought anyone makes no sense.  Only a few really big names on that list?  Yeah, that's true, but that's the state of boxing now.  Mayweather can't fight superstars who don't exist.  I think Sugar Ray Leonard summed it up very well:

“Floyd deserves to be where he’s at right now. It’s not his fault that there isn’t a multitude of all-time greats around him – he has no control over that. When Sugar Ray Robinson was fighting or when I was fighting we had superstar competition, whereas Mayweather is just that bit better than the rest of the field. He also fights and performs from a business perspective and knows when there’s money to be made. The thing that really impressed me about Floyd was when Sugar Shane Mosley hurt him badly. He recovered so well, and dominated Shane for the rest of that fight. I know what to look for in fighters and champions and that one moment was very important. Mayweather could have competed in any era and that is a fact.”   http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/330935-exclusive-sugar-ray-leonard-talks-welterweight-division-ring-top-10

If this guy was boxing in the 70's, 80's or even early 90's, he'd have been knocked the fuck out multiple times.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
GTstation said:
He is a joke like most boxing, its corrupt and a joke. The way boxers are build means they fight bus majority of their careers, May just continued that practice through out.

Its hard to name any top opponent that was in their prime May ever fought, he always choose famous guys at the tail end of their careers.

Castillo, Judah, Gatti, Hatton when he was undefeated, Marquez, Alvarez when he was the number 2 in that division.

If you're saying he shouldn't of fought De La Hoya, I don't know what to say, that's just silly.  Even Mosley earned his match by winning a title belt.

Im saying he has names but not a single truely great fighter in his prime.

Dlh and Suger were old geezers at the time of their figths, both in their prime would have handed him his ass.  Gatti and HAooton woudl retire 2 years after their figths with him, no chance in hell were they in their prime vs him.  Castillo was finished multiple times before fighting may, Zab is easliy a neevr was he had the potential but never got hsi shit right and lived up to it.  

GTstation said:
pokoko said:

Dlh and Suger were old geezers at the time of their figths, both in their prime would have handed him his ass.  Gatti and HAooton woudl retire 2 years after their figths with him, no chance in hell were they in their prime vs him.  Castillo was finished multiple times before fighting may, Zab is easliy a neevr was he had the potential but never got hsi shit right and lived up to it.  

So, what, it's Mayweather's fault that De La Hoya and Mosley weren't at their prime when they fought?  What was he supposed to do, climb into a time machine?  All the first names on that list are actually the guys Mayweather was supposed to fight, as they were the best fights he could get at the time.  He was the up and coming guy that was trying to make a name.  Supposedly, Mosley didn't want to fight him back then.

It's a list of guys that are #1 ranked and titleholders and you're saying what?  No, they weren't in their prime, he should have fought ... who?  If he didn't fight those guys then he really would have been ducking the guys at the top.  But he shouldn't have fought them?

The justifications are just ridiculous.  He's not supposed to fight Judah, who was highly regarded at the time, because he wouldn't do much later?  He's not supposed to fight the super popular and undefeated Hatton because Hatton would get nearly killed a couple years later and retire?

Pacquiao fought De La Hoya, Mosley, and Hatton after Mayweather, why isn't he persecuted for that?  It makes no sense.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Berto is 30-3 with 23 KO's. Sure those 3 loses came recently but he's not awful.

oh hes bad, all of his wins were against terrible opponents and everytime he stepped up a little bit in competetion, he lost. he just recently lost to jesu soto karass by knockout and has lost 3 of his last 6 fights against very bad competetion. don't let records fool you in boxing

I don't really like him as a person or as a boxer. I hope that "rocky" knocks him the f**k out. What's with all the moderations in this thread?

pokoko said:
GTstation said:

So, what, it's Mayweather's fault that De La Hoya and Mosley weren't at their prime when they fought?  What was he supposed to do, climb into a time machine?  All the first names on that list are actually the guys Mayweather was supposed to fight, as they were the best fights he could get at the time.  He was the up and coming guy that was trying to make a name.  Supposedly, Mosley didn't want to fight him back then.

It's a list of guys that are #1 ranked and titleholders and you're saying what?  No, they weren't in their prime, he should have fought ... who?  If he didn't fight those guys then he really would have been ducking the guys at the top.  But he shouldn't have fought them?

The justifications are just ridiculous.  He's not supposed to fight Judah, who was highly regarded at the time, because he wouldn't do much later?  He's not supposed to fight the super popular and undefeated Hatton because Hatton would get nearly killed a couple years later and retire?

Pacquiao fought De La Hoya, Mosley, and Hatton after Mayweather, why isn't he persecuted for that?  It makes no sense.

Yes its his fault hes ducked top prime opposition to take on done names, they were the popualr easy figths far from the best.  

To prove how big a joke he is now its Berto, hes fighting Berto LMAO cant wait for you to spin this shit.