By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U needs slow death, rise of NX and is Zelda delay inevitable?

lasershow said:

I have to disagree. I personally thought the Wii U looked dumb and didn't buy one till this last boxing day, and i wish i would have bought one sooner.

I think it looks the best out, but has a dumb name

I don't think anyone is settling by buying a wii u, they have a ton of great games and the graphics are fine. Would it make Pikmin 3 or mario 3d world better by having a better graphics system in place? 

Well, settling for a Wii U is not necesarilly a bad thing, you're get the best first party support money can buy, just at the sacrifice of no 3rd party #settling

Would it make Pikmin 3 or mario 3d world better by having a better graphics system in place?

Probably not those games look amazing already

It would be nice to have third party support but really how many games are you going to and can afford to buy.

It's not about how many games we can afford to buy, its about the selection of games. Granted nowadays I don't have as much time to play but I wish the Wii U could also pick up FF XV, Tomb Raider, Tales of, etc

The wii u has a lot of great games and some very good ones too.  I am a Nintendo fan, and I have been for years. I purchased all three consoles last generation and was very disapointed by the wii.

The Wii was a disaster, in fact I think it clouded Nintendo's judgment a bit. They got a bit cocky because of how successful it was and decided they no longer are in the same league as Sony, M$ (Blue Ocean Strategy) but of course us hardcore gamers just want to play games not swing a controller around like a madman

I also didn't buy a gamecube until 2 years ago as it's lineup of games seemed pretty weak.

Gamecube's library was diluted with too much shovelware (Wii especially)

Personally I don't think it is getting the sales it deserves

Oh, it's not (and that's mostly Nintendo's fault)

but the games that they are making are some of the best in it's history

I agree

so i honestly would suggest you try it out.

I will definitely purchase one. I always skim Amazon for them. I don't currently have time to play it.

If all you care about is power and graphics get a pc.

I've been a Nintendo fan all my life, so graphics haven't played a big role. Granted in saying that I do believe that depending on how graphics are used, it can change a games experience. Uncharted 4 for example looks amazing

If you are interested in trying something different and area nintendo fan, actually try a wii u before saying that you are unhappy with it.

I have tried one. I can be unhappy with it. I can't be happy with everything Nintendo does.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network

JWeinCom said:
I don't think that is the reason the Wii U failed. Granted, if the price point was even more powerful hardware would help. Third party support died because of a lack of sales.

The problem with the Wii U was the games mainly. What games really used the Gamepad well? What games were really designed for the casual owner that made the Wii U a success? A slightly improved Wii Fit? A more expensive Wii Sports that just added online?

Hmm. Let's go deeper. You say the problem with the Wii U was the games mainly. What games used the Gamepad well. If that is true, then the real problem is that the developers are trying to build games based on the Gamepad instead of Nintendo building the best controller for any game. Look at the PS4 controller, it's still a traditional style controller and people are buying it.

What was there to appeal to anyone outside Nintendo's usual? Which games really brought something new to their franchise? What new franchises were built? Splatoon, and little else (aside from poor overlooked wonderful 101). Why would someone not already firmly in Nintendo's grasp want this thing?

Add to this confusing marketing. A lot of people (dumb people but still) thought the system was an add on for the Wii. A lot of people simply didn't know there was a new console.

As a Nintendo fan, I've had a lot of fun with the Wii U. But I can't really recommend it to people that haven't enjoyed Nintendo's offerings in the past. There's no game (aside from maybe Splatoon) that would really change their mind, and no games to keep the casual gamers involved. A lot of the Wii U's failure had to do with the software and not just that the Wii U wasn't a "proper" system.

I disagree. The Wii U has many great games. The problem is that most of them are first party offerings.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Smear-Gel said:
You say they are the same Nintendo you know and love other than sales and third party support, then say that the Wii U is something to "settle" for as opposed to the Wii, despite having the same quality of games. Confused post.

I will also take this chance to say I think the NX is a handheld, like I say on every NX post

Something to settle for as apposed to the PS4/One. Sorry I should have made that clear. I think the Wii U has a better game library than the Wii. In fact now that I think about it I kind of wish the Wii would have failed terribly, just so Nintendo would not have been so egotistical about changing up everything.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Miyamotoo said:
theARTIST0017 said:

Hello Nintendo fans. I've never been so unexcited and unethusiastic to be a Nintendo fan as I am now. I've owned practically every Nintendo console except for the Wii U and I am older and have less time to play games but one thing is true: Nintendo isn't the same. Tbh, I was more happy during Wii era, even there were tough times but lets take a look at what Nintendo has lost over the years.

1. 3rd Part Support

2. Sales

If you think about it, other than that, Nintendo is still the same, they're still making franchise games and creating new ones, but one thing Nintendo is doing wrong is making the same mistake twice. Make a proper system, give the fans what they want (a proper controller, 3rd party games, a more powerful console, a better online infrastructure, etc).

The fans have spoken. We really are done settling. We are done putting up with slightly better than average. Nintendo needs to allow the Wii to slowly die after another year and a half and put Zelda on NX! Give us want we want! If not, we're willing to look elsewhere.

What do you want? You thoughs and comments...

Your post is little confusing, you say that you were more happy with Wii that you had than with Wii U that you don't have!? I disagree, Wii U is great console for Nintendo fans, for me it have better games than Wii.

Only thing that Nintendo lost with this gen are sales, they never really had good 3rd party support.

Not all Nintendo fans wants powerful console, Wii U is example how not so powerful console can have great and good looking Nintendo games.

If you expecting full 3rd party support and powerful console, you want be pleased with NX, but if you again want great and looking Nintendo games, some good exclusives, console that will be affordable and probably little stronger than Wii U, than you will be satisfied.

Yes the Wii and Wii U are pretty similar in terms of trying to change things up. I was more happy I guess cause Nintendo's inferiority was being masked by it's spectacular sales so I had something to brag about. I agree actually that the Wii U now has better first party titles than the Wii, but now the Wii U has poor sales (I guess that's more of Nintendo's problem than mine) but if that means 3rd parties won't come to Nintendo because of that then all of us as fans are affected too!

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

UncleScrooge said:

You think you are representative of an average Nintendo customer. You are not. Customers have spoken: They want Wii and DS like consoles and reject systems like Gamecube and Wii U.

If Nintendo focuses on third party support and a powerful console you can already say your goodbye to them.

I'd have to say I'm average. No I don't believe you want Nintendo to go back to the Wii era, the era where it was shovelware for a few months, then one good title, then more shovelware. Because the last time I checked the 3DS is focused on hardcore and has solid 3rd party support and is sitting at around 50 mil.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
Miyamotoo said:
theARTIST0017 said:

Hello Nintendo fans. I've never been so unexcited and unethusiastic to be a Nintendo fan as I am now. I've owned practically every Nintendo console except for the Wii U and I am older and have less time to play games but one thing is true: Nintendo isn't the same. Tbh, I was more happy during Wii era, even there were tough times but lets take a look at what Nintendo has lost over the years.

1. 3rd Part Support

2. Sales

If you think about it, other than that, Nintendo is still the same, they're still making franchise games and creating new ones, but one thing Nintendo is doing wrong is making the same mistake twice. Make a proper system, give the fans what they want (a proper controller, 3rd party games, a more powerful console, a better online infrastructure, etc).

The fans have spoken. We really are done settling. We are done putting up with slightly better than average. Nintendo needs to allow the Wii to slowly die after another year and a half and put Zelda on NX! Give us want we want! If not, we're willing to look elsewhere.

What do you want? You thoughs and comments...

Your post is little confusing, you say that you were more happy with Wii that you had than with Wii U that you don't have!? I disagree, Wii U is great console for Nintendo fans, for me it have better games than Wii.

Only thing that Nintendo lost with this gen are sales, they never really had good 3rd party support.

Not all Nintendo fans wants powerful console, Wii U is example how not so powerful console can have great and good looking Nintendo games.

If you expecting full 3rd party support and powerful console, you want be pleased with NX, but if you again want great and looking Nintendo games, some good exclusives, console that will be affordable and probably little stronger than Wii U, than you will be satisfied.

Yes the Wii and Wii U are pretty similar in terms of trying to change things up. I was more happy I guess cause Nintendo's inferiority was being masked by it's spectacular sales so I had something to brag about. I agree actually that the Wii U now has better first party titles than the Wii, but now the Wii U has poor sales (I guess that's more of Nintendo's problem than mine) but if that means 3rd parties won't come to Nintendo because of that then all of us as fans are affected too!

I think terrible Wii U sales are main reason why Wii U don't have any 3rd party support, on Wii U launch and in first year Wii U had, Fifa, NBA, NeedForSpeed, Batman, Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed...but after terrible Wii U sales all abandoned them in first year.

NX in comparison with Wii U will have probably better and more friendly architecture for third parties, also Nintendo will probably have bigger desire (now after Wii U) to have better 3rd party support, and we can expect NX will be selling better than Wii U. So I expect that NX will have better 3rd party support than Wii U but that really don't saying much.

vivster said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:
The wii u doesn't need to die. Its the only console that is actually delivering the goods.

...said no Metroid/paper Mario/ Mario party/ Zelda/jrpgs/Mario 64-sunshine-galaxy/ Fire Emblem/ Animal Crossing fan ever.

When you say it like that it seems to be thé worst Nintendo console since ...forever ?

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

theARTIST0017 said:

JWeinCom said:

Hmm. Let's go deeper. You say the problem with the Wii U was the games mainly. What games used the Gamepad well. If that is true, then the real problem is that the developers are trying to build games based on the Gamepad instead of Nintendo building the best controller for any game. Look at the PS4 controller, it's still a traditional style controller and people are buying it.

No, developers are certainly not developing games based on the gamepad.  Even Nintendo isn't.  It was a system that's designed for a gimmick and then that Gimmick was never used.

The PS4 is kind of irrelevant.  They're targeting a different market than Nintendo, so what works for them will not necessarily work for Nintendo.  But, the success of the Wii and DS was in making controls mrore accessible.  The Wii U doesn't do that.  It's basically a normal controller with a giant screen on it.

I disagree. The Wii U has many great games. The problem is that most of them are first party offerings.

Doesn't really have much to do with what I said.  A game may be good, but may still appeal to a limited audience. 

Aerys said:
vivster said:

...said no Metroid/paper Mario/ Mario party/ Zelda/jrpgs/Mario 64-sunshine-galaxy/ Fire Emblem/ Animal Crossing fan ever.

When you say it like that it seems to be thé worst Nintendo console since ...forever ?

N64 also didnt have Metroid, we still dont know for Paper Mario, we have Mario Party, we geting Zelda, Xenoblade is jrpgs, we have Mario 3D World, we are geting Fire Emblem crossover, big Animal Crossing probably no. At end of the day we can maybe certainly only say that Wii U will not have Metroid and big Animal Crossing game.

Wii U is great console for Nintendo fans, I think much better than Wii.

I bought my wiiu 2013, hoping for zelda in 2014 (the trailer at that time was great). But now complete change of style, no more interest. And to be honest, if it comes 2016, we can all be happy. I sold it alraey,, got good money for it, and enhance my ps4 collection.
Maybe, in 2017, i buy a new wiiu. The only game keeping me with nintendo would be monster hunter...hmm...and ths os 3ds